17" or 18" wheels

Hitman · 14 · 4797

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
Hi guys

Which size rim would be better suited for my 1.6

My buddie says 18s will make my car slower.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi guys

Which size rim would be better suited for my 1.6

My buddie says 18s will make my car slower. Not if you get the correct profile tyre which your tyre provider should be able to calculate (Or you can use one of the online calculators to work it out)

If it were me I'd go the 17" to save from compromising your ride too much (although Bumpkin and Hemmi amongst other were/are happy with their 18" tyres..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
Here in Korea, Hyundai offers the shiny "chrome insert" wheels in 17s, so I honestly don't think 18s would compromise the ride whatsoever, provided you put them on a reasonable tire. Anything larger than 18" would require a super low-profile tire, and that's when the bumps would become unbearable.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here in Korea, Hyundai offers the shiny "chrome insert" wheels in 17s,

The Premium in the UK and the SR in Australia get those too.. in 17"

Every size you go up would have to make some difference being that the i30 has a firmish ride even on 15" and 16' wheels.. But each to their own ( I'm of the age now, 55 in October... that I prefer a bit of comfort)  :whistler:

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
I agree with you,  Dazzler. Perhaps I should have said "only slightly" instead of "whatsoever" in my previous post. I don't think 18's would be a real issue in terms of ride quality or comfort though. If you want to fill up the wheel wells, there will always be a compromise in the comfort of the ride (depending on the model, suspension, and wheel/tire setup), so depending on the road conditions near you and the aesthetic that your going for, do what you think is best for you, Hitman.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i have 17's and i find them big enough,18's would be to hard a ride. :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
According this link, they have stock 18's in the UK. Anyone know if the suspension/ setup is any different from the Aus/Korean?

http://hyundai-i30.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/accessories/categories/model=47/category=ROOT-alloy-wheels

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

According this link, they have stock 18's in the UK. Anyone know if the suspension/ setup is any different from the Aus/Korean?

http://hyundai-i30.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/accessories/categories/model=47/category=ROOT-alloy-wheels

The Aussie i30's are supposed to be tuned for Australian conditions (pretty well I might add..)

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
Hi Guys,  correct me if I'm wrong,  the wheel offset will tell me how far out the wheels will be once fitted.  can anyone tell me what is the offset I need to have if I want the wheel to be just aligned to the car body's width (not sure if I'm explaining this right) without the tire rubbing?  I want the wheels to be as close as possible to the car's width when seen from the front

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
That's called "flush." A google search should start you off in the right direction. Be careful though, that will require a lot of work that might seriously limit the driveability of your i30.

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
"flush"! that's the word I was looking for.  hmmm.   if it means a lot of work then I would have to reconsider.  probably just go as close as possible to the wheels being flush without sacrificing driveability. 

Offline D-Rob

• 2nd Gear
  • i30 Driver

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Gwangju
Well, I'm not sure what all it would involve with the i30. Depending on your wheels, you might have to do one or more of the following: adjust camber, raise or drop the car, modify the fender, add spacers, etc. if you want it flush. I haven't seen any i30s with that look, and it hasn't become popular here yet. I have read a lot about kids with Genesis Coupes doing it to their cars.  Some of the pics I've seen make me think they can't drive down bumpy roads or pull in to driveways with any incline, but those are extreme examples.  Do a little research and see if you think it's for you. I'd like to see it on an i30, just not sure I actually want it on my car :lol:

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
Just realized that what you mean by flush might be different from what I though it meant.  I actually want the wheel to sit like the car in HITMAN's Avatar.  or HEMMI's.  if that's what you meant by flush then we are on the same page if not then I guess I got my definition wrong :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal