i30 Owners Club

AUS - 24 month / 30,000km service

tjmmeh · 18 · 5421

Offline tjmmeh

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hello,  my 2011 i30 wagon is due for its 24 month service.  It has done 17,000km and i'm wondering whether the diesel fuel filter really has to be changed this time?  The service dept person at Nunawading Hyundai told me that it was standard for this service (and the reason why this service will cost approx $600).

Can I ask them not to change it?  I will source one myself if recommended to change it still having only done 17k.  A friend at work advised me to ask the dealership to only change the oil at this service.

Any advice appreciated as im not knowledgeable with cars/engines/servicing.

Would going to a non-Hyundai for servicing void my warranty?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:52:15 by tjmmeh »
  • Hyundai i30 CRDi CW SLX 2011

Pip
Fuel filter was originally a 60k replacement but later became 30k. I assume they had a few clog up with water or other and deemed it a good preemptive exchange.

I changed mine at 60k and they were quite happy to not replace it at the 30k service but did note it as not replaced. I assume that had I a problem, warranty would not be covering it. I had had zero concerns with fuel and no indication of rough running at all and felt happy to wait.

Get it serviced anywhere that will stamp the book.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Many owners here provide all filters and their own oil at service time. I have done this with no problems from Hyundai.

Have you been quoted an actual price. I ask for that price first, then ask for the price with oil and filters supplied by me. There is quite a large reduction, although, they still make money out of it. I always buy genuine filters, so there can be no argument later, however, some owners use other cheaper priced brands.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Like This
Genuine for $49 delivered

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-HYUNDAI-KIA-iLoad-iMax-i30-SPORTAGE-DIESEL-FUEL-FILTER-Z707-/281040694333?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHyundai|Model%3Ai30&hash=item416f54ac3d

If you are going to go elsewhere, I take this pack to my mechanic, all the filters for $72.65 delivered (from memory if you go to their website it is slightly cheaper using their store).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYUNDAI-i30-1-6L-TURBO-DIESEL-03-08-ON-AIR-OIL-FUEL-FILTER-KIT-1-6-30-/251075451724?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHyundai|Model%3Ai30&hash=item3a75435b4c

For $70 odd dollars every (in my case) 30k I don't bother taking the risk.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Get it serviced anywhere that will stamp the book.

From the Hyundai website....
Who can service your Hyundai
 While we recommend that your Hyundai be serviced at a dealer’s Hyundai iCare Service Centre (where highly skilled factory-trained technicians will carry out the work), you may also have it serviced elsewhere. If you decide to do the latter, please make sure that the service provider complies with the conditions outlined in your Hyundai New Vehicle Warranty and that you receive proper documentation detailing the work that’s been completed.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/owners/maintenance-and-service/servicing

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Yesterday I had the 24 month 30,000km service done on my car, which was done at 30,500km.

I went to the local Kmart Tyre and Auto place in Warrawong, NSW, which is where I went for my 12 month service.

I supplied oil, fuel and air filters which cost me $44 from Verdon Bros, Port Kembla who are really good for getting parts - been going to them for over 15 years.

I also supplied Shell Helix Ultra Extra oil that I bought at Supercheap when it was 20% off (which also happens to be today is 20% off).

So all that Kmart supplied was 1.6 hours of labour, and brake fluid. And cost me $171.20.

So this "major" service cost me $285.20.

I also supplied an ice cream container so they could give me the contents of my fuel filter and the filter.  To my surprise, not much grit in it and no water.

The 15,000km service cost me only $120 plus oil and they supplied the filter in that price at $35 last year.

Definitely be going back to them.  They also confirmed a problem I've been having which is mentioned in another post that Hyundai couldn't find.  So now to book into Hyundai for this recal of the switch they keep bugging me about and for them to rectify the problem.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Pip
I also supplied Shell Helix Ultra Extra oil...
I'm guessing diesel because you mentioned fuel filter? If so, that oil is not the best match but I wouldn't be worried.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Ah yes diesel.

And that is the oil both mentioned in the owners manual, and is what Hyundai have recommended if I was to supply my own oil for services.

In the owners manual it states "Hyundai recommends Shell Helix oil"
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Pip
It's the "Extra" that's the problem. For Oz it is recommended (mandated?) that ACEA B4 oil be used. That one is C3 I believe and designed to protect an exhaust filter.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I just did some research about the difference between Ultra and Ultra Extra. 

It's interesting that on Shell's website, it states that the Ultra is ACEA A3/B3/B4 and Ultra Extra is ACEA C3, however on the bottle it states that the Ultra Extra is "ACEA C2/C3 (A3/B4)".  So assuming that it is spec'ed to B4..

It will be interesting to see what Hyundai say when I ask them next week when I take it in for the recall switch fix.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I supply all my own filters and oils,had no issue except for one dealer when I suggested it all the service manager could say was "how the hell do you expect us to make any money" I immediately rotorted with "at charging $175 PH and only paying your trainee mechanics who do the minor works and services $18.50 and hour you'll make plenty thanks" he didn't like that and asked me to take my car somewhere else.

But yes you can supply all your own consumables and they can not refuse to use them as long as they meet Hy requirements,as for you fuel filter,over time even though not being used,filters do deteriate,if the car is two and only done 17,000 K's I personally would be changing it,simply for it's age,there are cheaper alternatives out there than buying dealer supplied filters and oil for that fact
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Romen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ashford, South Australia
It's the "Extra" that's the problem. For Oz it is recommended (mandated?) that ACEA B4 oil be used. That one is C3 I believe and designed to protect an exhaust filter.

The bottle I have of it here says its B4... Ill take a pic tomorrow and post it up.
  • i30cw 2011 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

The bottle I have of it here says its B4... Ill take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

:wttc: That would be great thanks  :goodjob:

If you haven't already worked it out, it is best to use a hosting site like Photobucket to add pictures on here rather than as an attachment :cool:

Instructions in the welcome centre  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Romen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ashford, South Australia
:wttc: That would be great thanks  :goodjob:

If you haven't already worked it out, it is best to use a hosting site like Photobucket to add pictures on here rather than as an attachment :cool:

Instructions in the welcome centre  :winker:

Cheers ;)

• i30cw 2011 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting, thanks.. Seems they either upgraded the formula or changed the label  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Interesting, thanks.. Seems they either upgraded the formula or changed the label  :undecided:

Most likely the latter Dazz  :rofl: :rofl: you don't make money updating formula's  :D
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Pip
I would not choose that one. 5w40 Ultra is the one if you want shell IMO.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I would not choose that one. 5w40 Ultra is the one if you want shell IMO.

:agreed:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal