i30 Owners Club

First week report on my new i30 Tourer

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Well, tomorrow will be one year to the day since taking delivery of my i30, and is also the day it will receive it's 1 year service.

My i30 has just ticked over 14000km.  At this point, I am still very happy with it, probably happier with it than any other car I've owned.  It has never had a problem (beyond the seatbelt light staying on for 30 seconds or so), and my long term average fuel use is 5.0l/100km.

The car still looks brand new, and drives that way too.  Admittedly it has had an easy life, with the majority of driving being gentle freeway and a bit of light work around town.  It rarely carries a full load, and would have done less than 150kms in total with the trailer on.

Tomorrow I'm taking it in for its first service. The only thing I will be reporting is a very faint creaking noise from the front as I park.  I suspect this is just the electric steering doing it's thing, but I'll report it anyway and see what happens.  Yesterday I paid my registration and insurance for the next year, and was glad to see the agreed value with the insurance company set to only $1000 less than what I paid for it.

All in all, this has been a very good purchase for me.  I'm looking forward to the next model to see what changes will come, as I generally change my cars over every three years.  If my i30 is as good as it is now in 3 years, however, I will find a way to keep it (e.g. give it to the wife).
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost: :happydance: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great feedback :goodjob:

Be interesting to see the outcome of the steering "creak", as mine also does that, though only in "comfort" flexsteer mode.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Great feedback :goodjob:

Be interesting to see the outcome of the steering "creak", as mine also does that, though only in "comfort" flexsteer mode.

Well bugger me, mine only started doing it when I changed the steering to 'comfort' mode as well!  I'll ask them tomorrow and post up what they tell me.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Well, the car is now in for service.  I've reported the (slightly) creaking steering and we'll see what comes back.

On a side note, I booked the service in 6 weeks ago, and specifically booked a courtesy car.  When I arrived at the service centre I was told that they "don't do courtesy cars any more".  I asked why they took my booking for one, and the service manager rolled her eyes and said "yes, they really need to stop doing that".

I love the car, but one more incident like this and I'll abandon the Hyundai service centre and take it to my local mechanic instead.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is poor service! :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
OK, so they couldn't find a problem with the steering.  The service manager told me the tech couldn't replicate the problem, so I offered to show her immediately but she declined.  I'm not so worried, though, and switched the steering back to 'normal' mode and now it's completely silent again.

The service centre did the service and also washed my car, which was nice.  They also did an ECU upgrade, but when I asked what was being changed the service manager didn't know.  Subjectively, the car feels slightly quicker, and seems to be using a touch less fuel, but the differences are small enough that I'm probably just imagining it.

All in all, not too bad and I'm still very happy.  Hopefully I won't need to visit the service again until next year! 

It will be interesting to see how the car starts to age this year.  At the moment, it still feels brand new.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal