Re: Opinions on Castrol

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
hey guys - looking for a decent thread to bump re castrol edge query [many threads closed or diesel related] .

anyway i have a service tomorrow and have run out of my castrol edge sport 5w-30; but it seems to have been replaced by castrol edge titanium? is this correct?
is it still the same standard? i can see it's still a B4 but i saw a mention in the interwebs somewhere of something else in it changing - something to do with SL ?- which went over my head.
i think it's still fine but just thought i'd check.

i rang hyundai to ask what they were using and they have castrol 5w-40 at $80.
repco has the 5w-30 titanium 5L for $60'ish, or the shell helix hx8 5w-30 for $40'ish. only ever used the castrol edge though.

edit: for a petrol i30 obviously :)
and p.s the castrol seems more expensive than i recall to.  :rolleyes:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Autobarn may still have their sale on, I picked up 5ltrs of Nulon last week for $39

Is 5W30 right for your vehicle ? I thought 10W30 was the lightest weight oil to be used in the Australian i30's :undecided:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:32:24 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Some use 5, some even use 0, depends on your likelihood of severe cold conditions. I use 5, but opt for 40 protection due to freeway & summer conditions. The little Diesel fairly humms along.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I understand the weight difference for temperature fluctuations which is why I asked if 5W is the correct oil for snowcherry as she appears to be in Queensland and using 5W might be an unnecessary expense, either way it wont harm the vehicle  :)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
so noone had any knowledge on the Edge Sport to Edge Titanium?
i'll just grab it and fingers crossed it's okey.

edit: and cheers Craig - i was sure i had replied last night but can't see it. but yep been using the 5w-30 for the 5 years i've had the car on recommendation here. :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nothing wrong with the Castrol Edge Titanium snowcherry... it's good oil :) though for Queensland temps I'd probably suggest moving to a 5W40 if you like the 5 weight but the 40 will give a bit more protection coming into the Queensland summer temps.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
thanks again Craig. good thought on the summer weather. i had been using 5w-30 while in central qld and it's much hotter up there than in Gympie, but still gets hot here to. not quite as humid.
no apparent detriment to the car at this stage. that i know of anyway.
 :sweating:

when i got to repco it turned out it wasn't the Titanium 5w-30 on sale - it was either Castrol Edge 5w-30 or Edge Titanium 0-40w on sale.
however they didn't actually have any of the Edge 5w-30 left so let me have the Titanium 5w-30 for the discounted price. which was lovely of them.

but i guess it extends my question from is Titanium the replacement of Sport..... to what is the difference between plain Edge and Edge Titanium; and compared to the old Sport?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Titanium FST is the new name for their latest premium synthetic oil you can research more here :link: Castrol EDGE - Car Engine Oil | Castrol Australia | Products | Home

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal