i30 Owners Club

Is a 22.5k service worth it?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Coinciding with her 6months of ownership my car just hit the 22.5k mark.

Question for all those out there should I get another intermediate service or is this just going to far over the top? I've had a 7.5 and 15k.

I guess if I ever do sell her, it does look good that I've had extra servicing.

At the same time I don't want to be over doing it. Is there any harm in getting extra servicing? I have heard before that over servicing can actually cause damage.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've changed the oil myself twice already, buying Hyundai oil filters, every 5000km. That is over the top, but it keeps me free from those intermediate services! I have nearly done 10,000km.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Daniel I went 7,500 then 15,000 then 30,000. You are doing a lot of Kms (rather than just sort trips over a long period) so I wouldn't bother with the 22,500 service if it were me.

If you skip a service it would be detrimental to your warranty and resale but don't think extra ones will get you more $$$ in the future (I.M.O.O.)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
I've changed my own oil as well at ~7,000Km but left the filter (in the belief that it's good for the distance).  I'm proposing to dump my own oil each 7.5Km intermediate change and let the 15Km service intervals be done by local Hyundai with same oil I will provide.

My rationale is based on the belief that while the best oils will surely last the full 15K, my driving conditions make it a near thing to adopt the 7.5Km intervals.  Doing it myself is a small cost (oil only - $60-70 for good stuff).  Remember that the 7.5Km services are really just oil only (and filter if the dealer does it) so doing it yourself is pretty easy even if you have no idea which end of the car is which.  I make this statement particularly for those like me (since last change  :D) that suck the oil out through the dipstick hole which is pain and drip free and requires no more access than opening the bonnet and no spanner required.   :D

If you are interested to know what I use for the oil extraction method as opposed to draining let me know and I'll post some details.

I know that not changing the filter leaves a lot of the old oil in but there is enough evidence to convince me that changing 90% will refresh the oil sufficiently such that it's almost as good as a complete change.  Remember I'm only running the oil half full intervals anyway!  I'm sure that when it comes out at the 15Km interval it's probably still good for many more  kilometres.

One has to settle on a boundary that coincides with the 15Km intervals (in Oz) so that makes 3*5, 2*7.5 or 1*15 and I've decided on 2*7.5 for now. 

lindlake
I HAve all ways be told that the oil does not go off it the crap in the oil that blocks up the filter by changing only the oil you are wasting your time and money i aways change both every time

Pip
I HAve all ways be told that the oil does not go off it the crap in the oil that blocks up the filter by changing only the oil you are wasting your time and money i aways change both every time

What is your "every time"?

If it's a 15Km oil change interval (OCI) then you change yours at the same time I do. :D  On the other hand, if the filter blocking was a limitation then this might be a reason to change it more often than the oil but I've not seen this suggested either unless one was stretching the OCI to 25-30Km boundary perhaps.

And yes, it is the crap in the oil (or the inability to gather and hold more crap) that will determine oil life but filters will (should) filter until they are blocked.  The manufacturer recommends changing filters at 15Km intervals (because that coincides with OCI) but there is nothing that I can find that really indicates that they necessarily need be changed together.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I agree with Pip,i know a guy that used to say oil does not go off, and all he ever changed was the filter, he had two filters. he used to change the two filters and just top up with oil never change the oil.
i think his motor had about 120,000k up and it was stuffed had to have a total rebuild.
i know yet another guy, that for one reason or another never had his car serviced at all just drove it every day for three years all within Sydney metro. then with 100,000k up the bearings were shot, he thought it just needed the fan belt tentioned :lol: cost him a new motor too. funny thing was both those two instances were with Holden Rodeo 4 cylinders. so just changing filter only got the guy 20,000 extra k.

with my Falcon ute i have always changed just the oil @ 5,000 and oil and filter @ 10,000. i have 220,000k up and still runs like new does not need oil top up between changes. another friend has 360,000 up on his Falcon Ute does the same as me no problem.
just remember warranty does not cover warn parts so if your motor wears out.......

Pip
I agree with Pip,i know a guy that used to say oil does not go off, and all he ever changed was the filter, he had two filters. he used to change the two filters and just top up with oil never change the oil.
i think his motor had about 120,000k up and it was stuffed had to have a total rebuild.
i know yet another guy, that for one reason or another never had his car serviced at all just drove it every day for three years all within Sydney metro. then with 100,000k up the bearings were shot, he thought it just needed the fan belt tentioned :lol: cost him a new motor too. funny thing was both those two instances were with Holden Rodeo 4 cylinders. so just changing filter only got the guy 20,000 extra k.

Lakes, I would go so far as to say that in these two cases it would have only been the top-up oil that got them as far as they went.  This would have refreshed the additives by a small amount each time.  It's really the additives that wear out (get used up).  Yes?

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I don't think you can do any damage to your car at all by doing lots of oil changes. Sure, if you cross thread the sump plug, or oil filter, then yeah, possibly.

That, or getting crap in your engine through pouring oil in every few months :P

I'm going to change oil at 5000km intervals myself (except for the log books, which I will supply my Castrol Edge 5W-30). Engine will be in pristine condition :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Lakes, I would go so far as to say that in these two cases it would have only been the top-up oil that got them as far as they went.  This would have refreshed the additives by a small amount each time.  It's really the additives that wear out (get used up).  Yes?

Not sure PIP, but i would expect the oil to break down and turn to sludge, the oil in the ute that was never changed looked almost like tar 7 that was what i saw just on the dip stick.
i'm sure not many would do that.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't think you can do any damage to your car at all by doing lots of oil changes. Sure, if you cross thread the sump plug, or oil filter, then yeah, possibly.

That, or getting crap in your engine through pouring oil in every few months :P

I'm going to change oil at 5000km intervals myself (except for the log books, which I will supply my Castrol Edge 5W-30). Engine will be in pristine condition :)
that would be the best Duckman!

Pip
I don't think you can do any damage to your car at all by doing lots of oil changes...
Agreed.

I'd certainly be pleased to buy a car with this sort of love.  8)

I've also got Castrol Edge 5w30 in at the moment.  I reckon it's a good choice for your 5k OCI (particularly at the price you can get it) but maybe a stretch for 15k OCI.  I'm probably going to use German Castrol 0w30 (GC) and change at 7.5k intervals.  At 2*60 for the full 15k interval it will cost me about the same as 3*40 for the Edge.  I'm certain the GC is a fair bit better than Edge though.

Essentially we are on the same page with this by doing changes more often than perhaps absolutely necessary.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal