i30 Owners Club

iCare and Customer Experience Survey

Hornet · 7 · 19535

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
On 24th December I received a letter from Hyundai asking me to complete a survey they are conducting  about customer experience. I completed the survey online and sent it back as a Christmas present.
I hope my comment will have impact on Hyundai but I doubt it.
I mentioned the following points
1. Cost of parts from dealer far to high so I now buy genuine parts elsewhere
2. Cost of dealer servicing my i30 exorbitant so I now use an independent mechanic
3. Capped price service is not as stated. I was informed additional work is required to ensure warranty conditions are met and the cost is extra. 
4. I was misled by 5 year warranty that is not correct (for example radio is 3 years). All exceptions should be CLEARLY shown
5. Do I like the i30 CRDI? I replied YES YES YES
6. Would I purchase another i30. I was considering one but the dealer wanted my immaculate i30 CRDI CW (60000k 3 year old) and $21,000 for the latest similar unit
7. $7000 per year depreciation was not acceptable, in fact I think it is a joke and I will consider other small diesel cars or maybe just run this one into the ground.

And there were many other comments I made but not all bad
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I got one of them once, and answered honestly.

Haven't got another one....

To be fair the warranty terms and conditions are there for those who seek them out (Battery 12 months, rattles etc about 2 seconds). However (and this is the reason I think Kia have gone for 7 years) Car purchases are now covered by the new legislation which looks at 'how long something would be expected to last having regard to the purchase price. So their 3 years on the radio is a bit suspect, given most can argue they would expect the car radio to last nearly the life of the car. Same with a battery, most come new with a 24 month warranty.....

Unfortunately like most things in life, there are those who seek to pull the wool over your eyes.

As for the replacement car, I suspect old mate has made a blue depending on the model quoted. You can certainly get good prices on a new I30, and you can certainly get good prices for a 3 year old i30 diesel with 60k on it. Unfortunately dealers don't keep too many used cars, so they wholesale them, and give you that price.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
All fair points Hornet.. Well done!  :Agoodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Beerman, and I did answer the survey  honestly.

I believe it is misleading where in all literature I received and comment made prior to purchasing my i30 the emphasis was placed on "5 year warranty" in bold letters and no similar emphasis of excluded items nearby or mentioned verbally. I recall my previous vehicle (Toyota Cruiser) after 26 years had the original radio still working as new. I would expect the radio head in the i30 to last at least 5 years but I am told "this is not so" read the terms. So now the emphasis is placed on the "fine print" not the BOLD letters of the sales literature.   
In fact this is the first car I have owned that has ever had a radio fault and my first car with a radio was a FX Holden I purchased in 1956.

The changeover cost, given in writing, was from the dealer from who I purchased the car so there could be no doubt about model or condition of my i30.  At this time I would like to be negotiating for a new i30 CRDI CW but because of all that has happened I might postpone my desire of a new Hyundai or look to another make.

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd be trying a couple of other dealers.
As for the exclusions in my experience,  those sorts of things have always been separate.  Tyres,  batteries,  sound systems,  clutches,  brake pads and so on.
Whilst I appreciate you seem to have been under a misapprehension about them, I'm surprised you didn't twig.
However,  as you say.  It's a great car.  Worth looking elsewhere.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
As with just about anything the detail is in the fine print.
How long do you expect computers to last? A 26 year old radio is not really comparable to any audio unit these days. People EXPECT issues with iPhones and pc's etc.
A lot of people don't realise there is limited warranty on items. Mostly because the question isn't asked.
I'm not sure which items your referring to regarding service items and warranty though.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
A friend in a dealership said there was a 4 month wait on wagons as that was the next shipment. He also told me not to expect too much of a discount because 'fleets love them, and don't care what they pay'. So it may be a supply and demand thing.

Last time I checked there were some diesel auto tours in Qld for $26990.

Yours is a baby, I wouldn't be looking to get rid of her until the warranty expires. It will still be a low k car.

As an aside, get onto the ACCC re the warranty. They should go into bat for you on the 'expectation that it will last longer'. It is likley that Hyundai will replace it 'as a good faith gesture'.

:link: Warranties | ACCC
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal