i30 Owners Club

Recall for 2009/2010 cars for steering sensor

diablo · 35 · 12839

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Just got a recall letter this morning for the power steering torque sensor. I've seen something on here about this potential problem but I didn't realise they were putting out a recall.

Anyone else had the letter yet?

Not sure if I'll take it in or just leave it until next service, which is unfortunately nearly a year away.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Isn't that a safety recall? Better get it in there...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Kind of expecting it, but not yet, can you scan it and post it up please, omitting any personal information?

What year/month was your car made?

Personally I wouldn't wait, I'd book it in....

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

I'll probably take it in, but not just yet due to circumstances. There are a couple of things from the service to put right as well actually.

The car was shipped over from the factory in March 2010, not sure about absolute month of manufacture.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

thanks.

Well I guess this is for the (infamous?) C1260/C1290 fault. I will be interested to see if I get the letter. Interesting they say there is updated software. pitty there is no details.

Offline JanC

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newton Abbot, Devon
I'm unbelievably happy to see this post!  I joined the forum only 10 mins ago looking for help as the steering on my 2009 i30 has failed and Dealer quoted almost £1400 to fix!  I will be visiting the Dealer armed with this information tomorrow!  It may not be the exact cause of my problem but it must help!  Sadly I'm out of Warranty period but presumably a recall still applies? 

Ps I would recommend you take yours in as soon as possible. 

Thanks again
  • 2009 i30 comfort auto, red

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Diablo, is there campaign number on top of the letter as there is no sign of this in the VOSA database yet?

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Diablo, is there campaign number on top of the letter as there is no sign of this in the VOSA database yet?

Well there is the number '893' on the top left of the letter. Only other thing is the reference number but this just seems to be my 18 character Vin plus my reg number. :)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

I'm unbelievably happy to see this post!  I joined the forum only 10 mins ago looking for help as the steering on my 2009 i30 has failed and Dealer quoted almost £1400 to fix!  I will be visiting the Dealer armed with this information tomorrow!  It may not be the exact cause of my problem but it must help!  Sadly I'm out of Warranty period but presumably a recall still applies? 

Ps I would recommend you take yours in as soon as possible. 

Thanks again

Good luck !  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We might be getting some where!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Might be the Euro model only.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
That problem has happened to mine where I've lost all power steering and the steering wheel is hard to turn like driving an old Austin mini....thankfully the 3 times its happened to me in 3yrs Ive owned the car, Ive always been stationary.  Ive took it to dealers to get it checked but they couldn't find anything wrong.  Also mines a 2012 GD so donno if they have used the same parts carried over
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What month in 2012 as i have may 12 gd and i've had no problem.............yet
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
it was 1st registered in June 2012 also mines a Classic so it doesn't have that flex steer option like your Active does so it might be a different part
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

It only relates to Czech production from November 2009 to April 2010  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It only relates to Czech production from November 2009 to April 2010  :whistler:

:Pout: :spitty:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

moxey
Hi My car a 2010 model goes in to Kircaldy Hyundai on Monday the 4th May for this issue but I was told on the phone when booking it in that they would need me to leave the car as they will be replacing some Brake pipes at the same time.
I don't know the issue with the brake pipes but apparently another recall is in the pipeline.
I will report back when I return from the Hyundai dealership.   

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How long do they need it for.

4th not a bank holiday in scotland?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I don't know the issue with the brake pipes but apparently another recall is in the pipeline.

Some pipe near the master cylinder, there are posts about the issue here somewhere. I think an actual failure was reported too.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Some pipe near the master cylinder, there are posts about the issue here somewhere. I think an actual failure was reported too.
Think it was a flexible line IIRC

moxey
Dropped the car off this morning and Yes Lorian that's correct  both front brake pipes from the master cylinder to the wheels are being replaced as well as the steering issue.
Yes it is a holiday in Scotland I was surprised too when they said the 4th looks like they are working through to sort out all the recalls !!!
Whats going to be next ???

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think its the short flexi bit too, not all the way to the calipers.

moxey
Update on recall, Just got my car back from Hyundai Kircaldy they have upgraded the software on the steering sensor.
They replaced 2 front brake pipes from the master cylinder to the ESP module just below the master cylinder they are the ones with the in line flexible hoses.
Total time they had the car was 6 hours. They gave me an i10 3 cylinder car while mine was in the garage and I have to say that I found it excellent on fuel. Returned a steady 59 mpg at 50 mph.
Customer service at the garage was excellent  :)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Presumably you already had the drivers door cable and headlight fixes?

moxey
Yes I had them done earlier cheers.
I also had 2 front struts replaced when she was 6 months old and I am on my 3rd set of alloys due to corrosion.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

my front struts still going strong, and alloys looks like new, but I have the ones without the plastic inserts.

moxey
Yes fingers crossed the last set of alloys that I had fitted by the dealers are still looking like new as they seem to have a protective coating on the inside to prevent corrosion. Mine are like yours without the plastic inserts.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They replaced 2 front brake pipes from the master cylinder to the ESP module just below the master cylinder they are the ones with the in line flexible hoses.
Thought so. I'm sure I remember someone else replacing these. Not sure if they were done under warranty though.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thought so. I'm sure I remember someone else replacing these. Not sure if they were done under warranty though.

Found the Hyundai service bulletin in German but it's easy to follow....

http://tinyurl.com/obglorj

moxey
Yep that is exactly the parts that they replaced nice find  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal