i30 Owners Club

Anyone ever used a vacuum pump for their oil change?

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Thought it would be a fantastic way to avoid making a big miss... unfortunately it appears Hyundai's brilliant engine design means I can't get a tube all the way down the dip stick tube  :spitty: does the tube narrow into a slit at the end? The tube gets stuck about 5 cm from the sump and I can't push it any further :(
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
 This guy used a pump, don't know if he's a member on here?

:link: i30 engine oil and filter change - Google Slides
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I tried with an electric one, not very successfully, couldn't get all of it out. I have purchased a new thin straight tube and I will try again next change. I expect a much better result. I bought a pump directly from ebay it is not one of those expensive oil recovery devices. If it works next time, I'll put some info up here.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
One thing he's mentioned is that he got about  5L out of it and it should be 5.3L what he forgets is that .3 or so is going to be in the oil filter so when he starts his engine for the first time that .3 is going to fill up the filter bowl and it will show thats it gone down on the dipstick

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
He said it didn't, but that's how I see it too, I'd be putting in 5.3 for sure. :goodjob2:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've never been in favour of these things.
Whilst I acknowledge the convenience of them, I can't believe they don't leave a small amount of sludge in the bottom of the sump.
I use the term "sludge" loosely I know. I doubt there's be real sludge there but to my mind the small amount od residue would be where any contaminants etc. would be hiding. Thus they would immediately be absorbed into the new oil.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Depending on the manufacturer, draining the sump using the plug method can still leave some residue. As minute as it is, it also mixes with the new oil.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Depending on the manufacturer, draining the sump using the plug method can still leave some residue. As minute as it is, it also mixes with the new oil.
Yeah. I guess so.
But I'm guessing it'd be much less han the pump method.
Whenever I dropped oil in my own cars it would be hot and I'd usually leave it drain for at least 30 minutes.
However, I recognise that's not feasible in a workshop situation.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Whatever happened to the old magnet in the sump plug trick?  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Got a nice strong magnet, I'll try that.  :goodjob2:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Did read somewhere that the boss that is welded into the pan to take the sump plug has a lip that protrudes inside ,same on the transmission sump so there is always  some old oil left in the bottom , dont know if this applies to the i30.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Could be.
But not on any of my older model Datsuns or Renaults. They're the only ones I've had the sumps off.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Whatever happened to the old magnet in the sump plug trick?  :undecided:
You can buy magnetic sump plugs :link: Hyundai/Kia Magnetic Drain Bolt - Shark Racing wont help much with synthetic oils and aluminium engines though.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
The way I do a oil changes at home is if the drain plug is on the near side of sump/car, I raise the right side of the car up so all of it drains out and leave it for a while

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Back in the day, and I do mean more than fifty years ago, we (wavy navy lads) had a boat with an old Perkins diesel.  Clearly we didn't lift the engine out for each oil change, therefor the old oil was sucked out each time and new added as appropriate.

That old diesel engine ran for donkies and may still be chug-chugging to this very day for all I know, as we were all young and full of vim and vigour that old engine got lots of hammer, and thrived in it.

If the tubing problem gets sorted I will be interested and may resort to using one myself

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I have used vacuum pump in the last 3 oil changes with i30. I've done all oil changes with vacuum pump since I bought it about 6 or 7 years ago. Has worked well with i30 and with other cars i've serviced. I get pretty close to 5 litres out of the 1.6crdi so it seems to suck most of the oil out. With my previous car (other brand) I once checked the drain plug after using vacuum pump and only got few drops out. I haven't bothered to do that test with i30.

Of course there might be some crap left with the few drops of old oil, but shouldn't the new oil filter handle that?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 21:17:35 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal