i30 Owners Club

engine oil changing

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Wondered if our resident Hyundai service man could clarify the procedures used when changing engine oils these days.
Apparently many shops now vacuum out the old oil via the dipstick.
Saves replacing the sump plug washer and eliminates that worry whether the apprentice has actually replaced the plug……
But how do you know if the suction pipe is all the way to the bottom of the sump?
No2 son had his Prado "serviced" by Ultratune Gladstone.
It came home with 1 to 2 litres excess in the sump, and as an aside, the brake master cylinder needed a coke can removed just to reach the high mark !!!!
I wondered if the suction pipe was set too high when they removed the old oil, and then they simply added the requisite amount to re-fill.
Clearly no-one dipped the stick.

• i-30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I will be using this method when I can find the right tube to insert on the dipstick tube. However, depending on the tube used and the temperature of the oil, it is possible that the tube curled and was not at the bottom of the sump. Sounds like a pretty crappy service and I would probably replace the oil again, if it was my vehicle.

I'm not the Hy tech, but changed the oil today in the CRDI using the traditional remove plug from sump method.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I had 1/2 litre removed from my car today by Hyundai Rockingham because of overfilling and it was removed via the sump plug.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Personally I believe if a workshop doesn't drop the sump plug they shouldn't be servicing your vehicle. It should be raised on the hoist for an under vehicle check anyway.
As for saves replacing the washer, that's part of the service and should be quoted into the primary costing.
And if the tech supervising the apprentice doesn't do a check over the few things done in a service then the need their arse kicked

Phil I'm not including you in my statement, I know your situation and the vac pump is a good option for you. By the way I saw a month or two ago Bursons had an electric oil auction pump in the catalogue.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
And if the tech supervising the apprentice doesn't do a check over the few things done in a service then the need their arse kicked
Agreed, I received a personal apology from the service manager today while I was there and was told the technician that performed my service has been fired due to some other mistakes found after I sent a complaint email to the manager, the tech also failed to change my cabin filter which was absolutely filthy black and full of bugs.

Pays to check everything after a service ( as I did ) to make sure things were done right.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Some interesting feedback, not an isolated incident.
Always pays to check but unfortunately with shift work it's often only checked days later.
Ultratune have been informed so it's in their court to take action.
Good to see there are still workshops that drop oil the traditional way.
Obviously this shop has lost a customer.
  • i-30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think most workshops still drop the oil through the drain plug.
Originally it was only people like Lube Mobile who came and did your service at your home or workplace who used those pumps. I completely agree with cruiser regarding this. (and understand Phil's situation).

Apart from the need to inspect under a vehicle during an oil change as a service to the customer, you are neglecting any opportunity to find extra work for your business. This latter is a benefit to both customer and workshop. One of the most common complaints I received in my roles with Goodyear came from people who had had a service, then within a matter of days or weeks, suffered from worn brakes, radiator issues or some other problem which should have been picked up while the service was carried out. We didn't get a lot of complaints but definitely there were more about work we hadn't found than about jobs we did.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal