i30 Owners Club

ECU tuning box

mdee · 11 · 6286

Offline mdee

• 1st Gear
I have read a number of threads but cant really see a good answer. I am looking to ECU chip my new 1.6 diesel (Australian). I am only looking really to increase the fuel economy (and to have the power just in case) so would prefer something that is just plugged in and does not require any further 'adjusting'. There seems to a number of units around but the prices vary a lot. There are a few on eBay
Tunit Diesel ECU http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tunit-Diesel-ECU-Chip-Hyundai-i30-1-6-CRDi-DPF-/120626881570?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c15ec2422
listed for $1280
No Limit Tuning http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Diesel-Power-Chip-Module-Hyundai-i30-1-6-CRD-/260662201333?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb0ad8bf5
listed for $149
http://www.dpchip.com/vehicles.html?appSession=834263828373690

There seems to be a couple of other manufacturers in Oz for around $1k and quite a few overseas. Any advice would be appreciated?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what state are you in?  steve
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Mdee .. cant advise which is best but if you mainly only want it for fuel economy would be only looking at the cheaper ones or not be cost effective... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mdee

• 1st Gear
I am in Queensland. Forgot to mention it is an auto.  There just seems to be a large disparity between the $1300 model and the $150 model. I dont mind spending the extra money if there is a significant benefit. Thanks.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
in Melbourne there is a place called the horsepower factory,they use a plug and play external tuning box that has 4 settings.you plug it in and reset your ecu,it remembers the stock setting for future stock resetting. the cost is around $500,google them and have a look.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline mdee

• 1st Gear
Thanks. I will be in Melbourne next week, I will let you know how I get on.

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
As much as there was controversy and many negative comments in their thread- i have just had a friend of a friends (if you know what i mean) ECU reprogrammed by Willall racing in SA- they did 2 ecu's @ $700 each. 

Results are great- very punchy in the mid range, even a bit more torque in that lagging sub 1500rpm area.  Smooth power delivery and much more lively when pacing through the gears. Not sure about economy yet but they state it isnt altered.  I guess if you drive harder it has potential to use more fuel (power had to come from extra fuel/air ratio) but the use of torque through gentle driving is easier- can now use 5th gear at 60km/h where before it was too lacking.  Turbo boost supposed to be up from 19psi to 22 but no gauge to tell this nor any reason to doubt it.

I dont think you can beat researched dyno proven remapping versus some add on box which alters one or two sensor inputs.  The i30 crdi targa tasmania (Razy) car uses this ecu mod - that was a god enough reference to look further into this.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
All well and good if you don't care about warranty. You friend has just kissed his warranty good by. The vehicle characteristics that you mention sound exactly like my mine with the tuning box, but with 3 clear differences. 1) It takes 30seconds to revert to factory spec. 2) It costs me a third of the price of an ECU remap. 3) I am seeing real fuel savings, with a best of 1300km on one tank.

In this line of argument I see there are two schools of thought. The purists who think ecu mapping, and the realists who think there is more than one way to skin a cat. I've done the dyno testing with about 106kw and 340NM on tap it's a fun car drive.

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
eyecon where did you get yours from?

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hey Joel, mine is called a Racechip Pro from Germany. If you do a google search you'll probably find it mate. If you don't then let me know. There are 2 versions for the i30, the one I got was the 'Pro' version.

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
ahh OK I have seen that one before, just curious which ones different people use (that they are happy with)..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal