i30 Owners Club

Where do I even start

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
Bought my I30 in July 2009 = Happy.
Since then nothing but problems, and frequent trips to the hyundai approved garage

Fuel flat stopped releasing = 2x garage vistis to replace cable
Drivers door handle cable broken, 1x visit to replace cable
Clutch sqeaking = 4x visits to garage to replace the clutch fork
Rear passengers door handle cable broken = booked in to be fixed.......(I dont even use the back seats)
When driving the car there is constant creaking from the cabin like a very old car

Apart from this when you take the car on the motorway there is a constant loud rattle like something inside the compartment is loose, the steering wheel plastic is peeling away, the carpet on the floor comes away where it meets the plastic and when you select reverse the gear knob spins around in your hand, im sorry but the whole car feels cheap and I am waiting for the next door cable to break or mabe the steering wheel to fall off, cant wait to PX and get a reliable make like nissan or toyota, whats the point in a 5 year warrantly ifyou make such cheap quality, I am a very careful driver, driving less than 10k per year and service the car by the main dealer, I am tempted to complain to hyundai but I have no idea of how, I may be unlucky i.e a duff model, however when I speak to the garage they say the problems are common with hyundai, how hard can it be to make a car handle work, I have owned cars which are over ten years old and the door handles still work!

Is it just me or is nothing built to last these days.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

You've sure been unlucky :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear your tale of woe but not common fortunately..  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Think you got a duff one  :'(

I had a load of Vauxhall before the Hyundai's and they were great until the last one and like you loads of problems so swapped to Hyundai on the avice of a mate and see below!

I got my i30 in March 2010 and it's been so good just got another one for my wife.

130Sean

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've had 4 Hy cars and all have been good.

OK I've had the little niggle like a new seat belt, rear window and the biggy a new gear box after 800 miles in an Accent but besides that no other major issue
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Shocking... looks like a definite Lemon I agree but to be fair I think I would have rejected that car. Either that or taken it to a better dealer... why not name and shame them as they seem to feel all Hyundai cars are the same... not so!!

Was it a European built version? Not that it helps here but I'm still convinced that the Korean build quality was / is better.

We now have 2 Hyundai cars on the drive plus a Kia Picanto, no serious or worrying complaints about either!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
It sure sounds like you've got the car they made on a Friday afternoon before clocking off time. Unfortunately for you I think bad luck has a lot to do with it. I've owned several different marques inc Ford/VW/Rover/Seat/Mazda/Saab and my current Hyundai is by for the most well built and reliable car I've ever had. 

"cant wait to PX and get a reliable make like nissan or toyota"

Well I used to own a Nissan Almera 2.2 DCI which was the most unreliable car I've ever had. Along with constant rattles its lights failed, it refused to start several times, its had fuel hunting problem eventually resulting in a new fuel pump (not under warranty and eye watteringly expensive), battery discharging problems, seized brakes and frozen locks in winter. I took a £3k loss to get shot of it.

I also used to have a Toyota MR2 which caught fire and burned to a bare shell. Although the cause was never discovered I'm putting it down to the electrics as mechanically it was fine.

All I'm saying is that all manufacturers have their lemons and its just bad luck when you get one.

• Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that.. and don't get him started on Citroen..  :snigger:

I think some earlier Hyundai's were not so well screwed together (had a 2002 Elantra with a few QC issues) but the Getz was brilliant and generally the i30 was even better (a real turning point for Hyundai)

I have had half a dozen Nissans and all were extremely reliable..

Shame about the MR2 Ross  :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
New-Owner1, your experience is not typical as Hyundai build a very good product.
I'm surprised that you say the dealership stated it was common.  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I would be hounding the dealer for warranty work to be done and if not successful, go to Hyundai Australia. (I take that the author of this topic is from Australia?) :Shocked:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad
I think you are being a bit harsh on what basically boils down to a some sqeaks, rattles and cable issues. I'ts not like the engine has seized or the suspension collapsed (touch wood).

MD
  • Ice Blue Petrol 1.4 Comfort Oct 11

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I would be hounding the dealer for warranty work to be done and if not successful, go to Hyundai Australia. (I take that the author of this topic is from Australia?) :Shocked:

His profile says he has a "Comfort 1.4" so he's not in OZ.....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think you are being a bit harsh on what basically boils down to a some sqeaks, rattles and cable issues. I'ts not like the engine has seized or the suspension collapsed (touch wood).

MD

and from the thread title he/she is having trouble even getting it to start  :whistler: (sorry I shouldn't make light of the problems) A combination of small problems can make you feel as bad as having one big one...

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Thanks for that.. and don't get him started on Citroen..  :snigger:

I think some earlier Hyundai's were not so well screwed together (had a 2002 Elantra with a few QC issues) but the Getz was brilliant and generally the i30 was even better (a real turning point for Hyundai)

I have had half a dozen Nissans and all were extremely reliable..

Shame about the MR2 Ross  :disapp:

I've blanked the Citroen from my memory it was so awful. I won't go there it would be a long rant  :lol:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Apart from this when you take the car on the motorway there is a constant loud rattle like something inside the compartment is loose, the steering wheel plastic is peeling away,

Is it just me or is nothing built to last these days.

Those problems are reported here all the time, I have the rattle too somewhere below the stereo.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for I guess, it is an i30 but you have to remember its Korean
and its not the best car out there.....

I do not know how on earth it was voted car of the year (For several years from what I have heard), that is beyond me,
but it is reliable (Mechanically) has good warranty and it is cheap (er) than Japanese and european equivalents.

Last but no least you are right, that nothing is built to last these days (and that does not go for cars only)
, There is problems in every car's interior and some go as far as BMW's, Toyota's etc!!
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Apart from this when you take the car on the motorway there is a constant loud rattle like something inside the compartment is loose

I hope that one of the robots from the Hyundai manufacturing plant isn't missing a finger.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
While I feel your pain over your car's issues, Hyundai have won many awards for customer satisfaction..... :undecided:

http://www.hyundai.co.nz/new-thinking/awards/

http://www.hyundai.com.au/about-hyundai/news/articles/The-Most-Improved-Car-Manufacturer-of-The-Decade-Is-Hyundai

And of course, the i30 has won car of the year here in OZ a couple of times also....  :goodjob:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hmm - customer service awards in Australia may not help here in UK (where I guess New-Owner1 is?).  And his car (like mine) will be Czech built not Korean.  My own eperience of Hyundai UK's customer service department - admittedly 2 years ago - was woeful.
I share his concerns, as my own i30 creaks & rattles, and has had many (in my opinion) premature failures and so I worry as to its long term durability.  Admittedly these faults were sorted willingly under the 5 year warranty - at least after I changed dealer.  This is all very disappointing to me as I treat my cars carefully & considerately etc, and have in the past kept cars in daily use until they were many years old (eg a Vauxhall until 12 years & a Ford until 16 years, not to mention my current "hobby" Datsun that is approaching 30). 
Despite this I am most unlikely to keep my i30 beyond its 5 year warranty.

It is always hard to generalise car owner experiences, everyone has a bad experience with one car or another - but my own experience of my Hyundai i30 so far would place it as somewhat less durable to the equivalent Vauxhall (eg Astra).

Anyway my suggestion to  New-Owner1 is please go back to your dealer and pursue all of the faults - or change dealer if they dont take you seriously.
Ed
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:45:44 by Talking Hoarse »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Ed, that's good advice.
And let us know how you get on, New-Owner1.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hmm - customer service awards in Australia may not help here in UK (where I guess New-Owner1 is?).  And his car (like mine) will be Czech built not Korean.

Just a heads up, Ed...that second link I posted was regarding a survey in the UK.....  :winker:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Interesting, I did not know Hyundais were manufactured or just assembled in Czech Republic as per the above spoken words by Talking Hoarse.   How long has that been going on?
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting, I did not know Hyundais were manufactured or just assembled in Czech Republic as per the above spoken words by Talking Hoarse.   How long has that been going on?

Since 2010 I think (quite a large factory)

The FD series i30's made there had a few different features (only cosmetic) and some seem to suffer from minor quality control issues (the most significant perhaps being paint blemishes)  :confused:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
The Czech factory started producing the i30 in November 2008 according to this -

http://www.hyundai-motor.cz/english.php?rubrika=basic-info

I think they had some problems with the workers and their conditions in 2009, too much overtime and pressure.

http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/topic/16819-czech-hyundai-unions-call-off-strike-threat/

My motor is early 2010 and (touch wood) remains trouble-free. :)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
The Czech factory started producing the i30 in November 2008 according to this -

I think they had some problems with the workers and their conditions in 2009, too much overtime and pressure.

http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/topic/16819-czech-hyundai-unions-call-off-strike-threat/

Ah, I love how the Brits call a car a MOTOR, a relic of the 30's. :D

Thanks for the info re Czech Hyundais, I take it our Hyundais here in OZ all come from Korea then?
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:lol: And a patch, a manor.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Ah, I love how the Brits call a car a MOTOR, a relic of the 30's. :D

Thanks for the info re Czech Hyundais, I take it our Hyundais here in OZ all come from Korea then?
We even have a thread topic entitled "Members' Other Motors"
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

"Give us a look at yer motor, eh guv?"
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"Give us a look at yer motor, eh guv?"
"No. OK You're nicked sunshine" :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal