ESP switches engine off

stami · 37 · 16999

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^
No. I'm definitely only pressing the brake for longer than one second. But I thought that was the point of the discussion - that applying the brake reduces/ cuts engine power. I blip the throttle at the point of the gear change (and because of the fact that the accelerator pedal hinges from the top I just roll by foot slightly to the right and my little toe comes in contact with it fairly high up (pretty well in line with where I'm in contact with the brake pedal). And when I blip the throttle, there's plenty of revs there and if you get your timing wrong as you let the clutch out, the car surges forward. Hence I don't feel there is any engine power loss happening.

Interesting discussion this. Not really a thread hijack as it relates to the original subject. :idea:

ps. Glad I'm not the only "big toe braker" in Oz.  :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Pip
^^^
No. I'm definitely only pressing the brake for longer than one second. But I thought that was the point of the discussion - that applying the brake reduces/ cuts engine power.

Interesting discussion this. Not really a thread hijack as it relates to the original subject. :idea:

ps. Glad I'm not the only "big toe braker" in Oz.  :wink:
No, you are missing the point of my reply to the original problem. As I understand it, the logic is that the brake will override the throttle - if both are pressed at the same time.

I'm assuming this is a simple safety measure which might avoid things like "stuck" CC or throttle that has been seen in some Fords and Toyota of late.

To leave it possible to momentarily press both together (as in heel and toe) there is a time delay before the power is cut.

All supposition on my part.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just did a quick google search and the very first hit was this discussion on a VW forum (interesting)

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-53262.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the more i read the more I'm confused on this matter.if i put my 2.0 petrol manual hatch into a corner it bogs down if it sences a slide or wheelspin but it doesn't stall, it just looses power.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
Two different things have been discussed leading to some confusion.

1) What the OP was asking about is whether ESP should completely stall the engine when it acts.  According to him it did somtimes and sometimes not. Answer is that we think it should not and noone else has reported this problem.

I don't know if the fuel is completely cut or just limited when ESP intervenes but if it's cut completely (or to an idle supply) I guess it's possible if directional control (according to the ESP sensors) is not regained before the engine revs fall below the limit where it can continue to run, it might just stall in the same way it will if you allow the revs to fall too low while in gear and under load. In other words if ESP never gets the car "straightened out" so you can continue on it might ultimately stall the engine.  Assuming manual.

2) The second thing that was discussed is the engine power also being cut whenever the brake and accellerator were applied together. While some of the same sensors and logic may be involved this is a separate thing and probably just a sensible safety measure to allow the brake to stop the car in any circumstance where the throttle may be stuck or pressed by the driver along with the brake which for most situations is illogical.

3) There is one other thing that has been discussed before and that is in essense a combination of these two things by inadvertently invoking an ESP "event" by juditious use of left foot braking to provoke a controlled rear-end slide (oversteer) while negotiating a corner at speed. This manoevre cuts the power to the engine just when you most wanted it!  Whether the power is cut by sensing situation (1) or (2) above, I don't know. Probably just a standard ESP intervention (1) unless the brake is applied sufficiently long to invoke (2). The handbake could be used similarly.

As I said before, I have no knowledge of how the logic works and I'm just guessing.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Given all that has been said I think that he should contact the Hy dealer and request a full review of the ESP system on his car.
He should be putting forward some of the comments raised on this thread and getting official responses to either agree or dismiss them.

Depending on the responses or if they refuse he does as I suggested in reply 6 and contacts his National transport body/Ministry of Transport stating that there is a possible safety recall and ask for their advice
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think Pip's point number 3 is the one that Thumper took exception to (and didn't like) but it appears to be normal for ESP equipped cars...

In the case of the stalling issue our member has, could it be as simple as the idle speed being set a bit low?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal