Shambles · 76 · 21856

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :idea:

Maybe they would let you take a couple of photos of the damaged piece before they bin it or send it to Hyundai... (if you explain why)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I shall ask them again when I go :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia - Stone Black i30 SX CRDI Auto
Booked in 1st Dec, new coupling and washer pump have arrived. I asked if I could keep the old coupling but she said not possible.

Just ask to have a look at the parts they replaced..........They wont say no to that.......as you want to see proof that they actually did replace them ( don't you ?)!
Then photograph them while looking at them. :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Booked in 1st Dec, new coupling and washer pump have arrived. I asked if I could keep the old coupling but she said not possible.

Just ask to have a look at the parts they replaced..........They wont say no to that.......as you want to see proof that they actually did replace them ( don't you ?)!
Then photograph them while looking at them. :wink:

Wear a long coat like Inspector Gadget and have your camera ready  :lol:

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Update 01/12/2009

Dropped her off for the repair before 9am and went back at 3:15pm

Not ready  :'(

"Still stripped down, could possibly get to 5pm"

Make that 6:30pm and I waited over 3 hours  :twisted:

Apparently two of them worked all afternoon on her. The TSB was not accurate as far as what was required and they took well over the 1.3 hours allowed in the TSB. By my calculations they spent around 12 manhours fixing this.

.. and she still rattles over the cobbles  :rolleyes:

Will have to see what she's like first thing tomorrow when cold.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

If it's not 100% make sure they take it back ASAP.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Recorded a small sound clip on my phone, going over the cobbles a few mins ago. Sound starts at 8secs in. I was doing 5 mph.

I'll be playing this clip to the dealer when I return in the next few days...

[deleted]

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Recorded a small sound clip on my phone, going over the cobbles a few mins ago. Sound starts at 8secs in. I was doing 5 mph.

I'll be playing this clip to the dealer when I return in the next few days...

Sounds like someone gurgling underwater

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just back from full 3 year service, and the steering is now like a bag of...

(click to show/hide)

Pip
Excellent!

I've been waiting 2 months for my dealer to get back to me with his diagnosis, after consultation with Hy, after I complained of what really seems to be the same problem at my 15,000km service.

Looks like I might have to chase him.  :rolleyes:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You've got me imagining that noise now Steve.. Thought I better listen to that file (fortunately mine is nothing like that yet  :eek: - Sounds like a billy cart going down a gravel goat track  :rolleyes:)

At least it is fixed now...

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

I just returned from a 1000km return trip to Geraldton for a Funeral, car went great except in the last stretch I pulled over to relieve the bladder, and the steering seems to have picked up the same fault as Shambles!  I'll take it in to the dealer workshop and see what they say.  Knocks on rocking backward and forward and on rough surfaces.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Knocks on rocking backward and forward and on rough surfaces.

Sounds about the same. Unlucky LD  :'(

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

I think from memory its Aug 08 build, which isnt supposed to be in the affected range?  To be fair the car has seen a lot of rough and unsealed roads, coming up to 45k now, but still a bit of a concern.

Pip
I think from memory its Aug 08 build, which isnt supposed to be in the affected range?  To be fair the car has seen a lot of rough and unsealed roads, coming up to 45k now, but still a bit of a concern.
Mine is a September 08 build and presents similar symptoms.  Been waiting 3 months for the dealer to come up with a repair plan. :rolleyes: I reminded him about it a few weeks ago but still no follow-up.  Becoming slightly annoyed.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

The dealer said they replaced the lower universal joint in the steering column during the last service, and 'it made it feel better' - well it didnt unfortunately - still the same, so it will be going back soon.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
The dealer said they replaced the lower universal joint in the steering column during the last service, and 'it made it feel better' - well it didnt unfortunately - still the same, so it will be going back soon.
There are a lot of bits in the train between the wheel we hold and the two the road holds. Even so, I suspect the main cause of these steering rattles is the one already identified in a certain VIN range as being a coupling in the column near the steering wheel.

Mine falls outside the VIN range indicated but the symptom similarity seems too hard to overlook. My guy however suspects everything else but that and wants to change the rack as his first guess. Problem is that it's now getting on to 4 months since I reported the problem and I've had no follow-up from him to date to change anything; even after I reminded him about it a few weeks back!

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
Shambles, if it's not the problem could you send me this TSB about steering coupling?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's no problem. Check your email in a few minutes :)

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
thx :)
that's the part they replaced me last week. now it's silent, but for how long...

Pip
Mine falls outside the VIN range indicated but the symptom similarity seems too hard to overlook. My guy however suspects everything else but that and wants to change the rack as his first guess. Problem is that it's now getting on to 4 months since I reported the problem and I've had no follow-up from him to date to change anything; even after I reminded him about it a few weeks back!

I'm embarrassed to say that I've not advanced. No follow-up by either me nor the dealer.

Car's at the panel-beaters at the mo... soon as it comes back...

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Perhaps this might explain some of your rattles !

I took mine in for it's 2nd service the other week and told them about the steeing play/rattle problem (and took the TSB in, thanks Shambles) they said the rack needed replacing. Took it in yesterday for the work to be carried out, picked it up and they said they did not change the rack but found a bush worn on one of the rack fixing bolts, they have also agreed to change the steering column (I bet they just change the universal joint) as there is a slight knocking. But I have to say that this bush as transformed the car from a rattly buzzy car (at low speed) to as it was when new and the play in the steering has gone.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

I was in my local dealer yesterday chasing up the new steering column, he said they had had another car with the same issues as mine and found both the rack bush worn and the Universal joint in the column worn. He has spoken to Hyundai UK Technical now the interesting part they suspect the electric power steering motor has to much torque and is opening up the UJ , they are currently running tests with possibly putting a rubber damper or spider coupling to reduce the shock load, so until tests are complete and a fix is reached they are putting the column on hold. Re-call ?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I was in my local dealer yesterday chasing up the new steering column, he said they had had another car with the same issues as mine and found both the rack bush worn and the Universal joint in the column worn. He has spoken to Hyundai UK Technical now the interesting part they suspect the electric power steering motor has to much torque and is opening up the UJ , they are currently running tests with possibly putting a rubber damper or spider coupling to reduce the shock load, so until tests are complete and a fix is reached they are putting the column on hold. Re-call ?

As far as am aware I've not experience this as yet but can you tell me:

What mileage have you covered?
Is yours a Cech or Korean build?

Mine is Korean with 16K

My car is due it MOT in September so it will be interesting if this is mentioned?

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Hi eye mines Korean, problem started at about 20k now has 23k, you will know if you have a problem, when stationary and engine running, rock steering wheel side to side quickly. you will feel either play in the wheel or knocking or both.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

rock steering wheel side to side quickly. you will feel either play in the wheel or knocking or both.

I must try that (haven't noticed anything) :eek:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

stationary and engine running, rock steering wheel side to side quickly. you will feel either play in the wheel or knocking or both.

Cheers       Will try next time I use the car.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Well tried rocking wheel.

No free play and felt very solid and rsponsive but I did hear a clicking noise coming from the housing behind the wheel where the washer stalk is?

Is this an issue?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal