i30 Owners Club

Vauxhall sends a shot at Hyundai & Kia

Lorian · 12 · 3572

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Vauxhall are now offering a lifetime warranty on new cars in the UK, up to 100,000 miles (160,000km)

Sure there are some T&C's but it DOES include the drivetrain.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/motoring/article.html?in_article_id=511143&in_page_id=53949

On the face of it this seems a good proposition, but unless they have done something different in new models to the the last few vauxhalls I owned, they may go bust over the repair costs!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You could read it another way too.. They reckon their car's lifespan is only 100,000 miles (160,000kms..)

Whereas a Hyundai could theoretically travel 250,000kms or more within the 5 year unlimited kilometre warranty we have in Australia... :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
I find this rather an odd promotion, it only covers the first owner, so no ex lease cars will be covered on the second hand market or ex demos, if you a private person buys one form new and only do average mileage, why would you change it until the 100k is up, so they would sell less cars.

Am I missing the point ?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Am I missing the point ?

It's an advertising ploy..

They look at what is on offer from their rivals and give just that little bit extra hoping to get customers who only see the headlines but not the small print.

When Kia offered 7 years I looked at it.
There were exclusions after 3 years then after 5 so in the last 2 years the expensive bits of kit that might go wrong were not covered.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its GM... there will be problems...

go the 5 year unlimited KM warranty!

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
That warranty is really funny to me. I mean..who are they fooling. Lifetime warranty which is limited to 100k miles?! It's like saying, you will live forever, but only till the age of 100 years. C'mon..  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Also, there are many exclusions as the car get older

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
100,000 miles for me is 4.5 years
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes, for example, I used to drive more and usually did 50,000 km in 1 year. So..that basically means 3 years. Or even funnier thing. Renault is now offering 4 year warranty (before they had 3) OR 80,000 km (which comes first). I almost hit a car in front of me, when I saw that add while driving. Keep seeing it more and more and just can't stop laughing.. And they are really advertising it like they're giving away free cars..  :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
In the first year of ownership the local Vauxhall dealer assigned me my own mechanic so I could always see the same guy every time I went to the dealers with a problem.

Nearly a year on and I haven't even seen a Hyundai mechanic yet  :exclaim:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

In the first year of ownership the local Vauxhall dealer assigned me my own mechanic so I could always see the same guy every time I went to the dealers with a problem.

Just shows how good the car is not having to see a mechanic.

With Vauxhalls they must expect many trips back to the garage so by having your own mechanic means you don't join a long Q at the Service Desk which gives bad publicity

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Not that bad thing what Vauxhall is offering.
But at some Hyundai services (I guess smaller ones) you can talk to a service guy without problem. Take my for example..the car is usually serviced by 3 different servicemen. If it's not the first, it's the second or the third and other way around.. At least that's how it was on the 20, 40, 60 service so far, but it was something like that with Accent and Elantra too. But ok, even if it's not serviced by the same mechanic, I'm usually few minutes earlier when picking up the car, so I meet the mechanic that had been working on the car, when he drives the car out of the garage. Usually they tell me what had been done on the car, if there's anything I should worry about, what they will probably change on next service.. So we chat few minutes about the car and some other random stuff and that's it. I've been doing that since we started driving our cars to that service (so already 7 years), so I basically know all the service men quite well or at least 6 of 9 that work there and which work on our cars. They usually come to me themselves and explain me what was changed, etc.. So it probably depends on the service.. That's one of the main reasons for buying Hyundai's also, beside that we like the cars and that they've never let us down so far (knock on wood). Never had that kind of "relationship" with other services.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal