i30 Owners Club

100K service advice.

ryane · 18 · 4781

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Hey guys,

My lovely 09CRDI is just about to crack the 100k mark. I bought it 18months ago and since then i have put close to 75,000k on it myself. Mostly highway driving.

I was just wondering if anyone out there could offer some advice regarding additional ( on top of logbook) servicing tips for the big 100.  I will be getting a log book service done on it by my local but was wondering if anyone recomended any extras such as engine treatments, fluid changes ect.

At 99,851km she is running pretty much good as new, still averaging 890km to a tank ( when light comes on) with allot of that being 30-45 minute trips along open and closed roads. Bit of a rattle coming from front right but im getting that checked on friday when i get a new set of springs/ shocks fitted.

Cheers

Ryan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:  Can't really think of anything extra (just give her the best oil you can afford) :razz:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:

No real need to do any more as what you've been doing is obviously working.
And as Dazz said, use the best oil you can.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
And as Dazz said, use the best oil you can.
Well... I'm pleased to hear this Dazz I reckon I've got a convert. Castrol 5w30 is not the best oil you can buy although I repeat here that I use it very happily in our Getz.

I'm watching the turbo bearing thread with interest. I'm not going to say "I told you so"... yet. :whistler:

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks guys,

I know I'm and going to start world war 3 here, but what is the best oil that you recommend ha ha ha??

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I use Shell Helix Ultra.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like Mobil 1 as well (but always too tight to fork out for it)  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
Mobil 1 0w40 currently for me too but all good choices I think. :goodjob2:

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Mobile one it is. Thanks for the tips guys

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Scrap that. Dazz I don't think your tight, just saw price ha ha. Cheaper option it is

Pip
Scrap that. Dazz I don't think your tight, just saw price ha ha. Cheaper option it is
You've got to be kidding?

What's the difference - $20? It lasts a year so that's 39 cents a week extra to pay or 6 cents a day. :disapp:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Try to pick up your oil when it's on special, Ryane.... :goodjob:

I got my last 5 litres of Castrol for around $57....

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
You are true there pip. Just not sure about the yearly thing. Averaging about 30k a year so at least 2 services. Just to make sure I was looking at right oil. Saw it at super cheap for $95 for five liters ?

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Your right rust. Must admit with traveling all around NSW for work. And I mean all around I'm a bit lazy when it comes to shopping around ha ha.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I usually pay @ $64 for five litres of Shell Helix Ultra (NOT the Extra) but the last couple of times have been able to pick it up for fifty something from Repco.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
You are true there pip. Just not sure about the yearly thing. Averaging about 30k a year so at least 2 services. Just to make sure I was looking at right oil. Saw it at super cheap for $95 for five liters ?
There's this guy, US import but AFAIK same formulation (oil very often isn't the same country to country).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobil-1-Engine-Oil-Free-Shipping-Sydney-6-Quart-0W40-5W30-5W40-5W50-10W40-15W50-/170831809073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item27c65e8a31
6 quarts is a little bit more than 5 litres. $74 delivered.

And there is always Harold... nice bloke but  a bit dearer ATM unless you do a deal; he does that and if in Melbourne can pick-up from West Heidelburg to save a few bob. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobil-1-0w40-Oil-made-USA-0w40-Melbourne-Customers-only-/181067312207?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2873ec4f

I, like others, look from time-to-time for specials and just stick it in the shed until needed. Dazz and Rusty always seem to be on top of that. I'm probably going to try Rusty's favourite, Castrol 0w40 next. I might even have it already but I forget. I keep 3 different oils for the 3 family cars and my memory is old. :confused:

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for all that advice pip really appreciate it. I might give the Castrol a go!!

Thanks again.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal