i30 Owners Club

What did you ask for on first service?

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm thinking of asking for:

1)    That the automatic shutoff of the A/C when small to medium amounts of throttle are applied be turned off.
2)    They check that my ECU has the latest firmware.  From the TSB's I assume it has latest, build date May 2010 Korea.
3)    And I've run out of ideas...

I'm ridiculously happy with this car and am now overdue for the free 1000 km service.  It may be the last time in a while the car sees a Hyundai dealer, so I'd like some ideas on what you have asked for in either first or subsequent services.

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I never had (1) happen :eek:

It depends on the particular vehicle really.. the Doorlocks on my wifes CW are a bit tight, I put some dri-lube on the catches as they were really dry but I will mention it when it goes in for the 1000km check..

They don't even have to go in for a check in the UK  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I got them to turn off the automatic locking of the doors (forgot its acronym).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I got them to turn off the automatic locking of the doors (forgot its acronym).

It's called Halo (wasn't set to on, on either of ours) Don't think the wife would like it anyway!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I never had (1) happen :eek:

The fan keeps running of course, but the A/C compressor drops out.  It's especially noticeable in the first minutes of running on a hot day as you get a blast of warm humidity from the vents!  I realise it's a feature, but I'm used to having full control and am used to any or all of killing A/C, changing gear or re-engaging (almost dropping) the clutch when emergency acceleration is required.  I'm not attempting emergency acceleration when this A/C drop-out occurs.

I may well have a lead foot when compared to those doing so well in the economy sub forum, but I would only be happy with this auto cut-out of the A/C compressor if the throttle was 100% floored to trigger it.  I'll see what they say when I get to the service.

We've had a record run of high 30 to 40+ Celsius in Sydney this last week, and the A/C does get the car cool when set to recirculate, but like most if not all current cars it cannot handle fresh air at these temperatures.

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
In thankfully cooler weather I couldn't reproduce my complaint of the A/C automatically shutting off under moderate to heavy acceleration.  We did have a heatwave recently, and I suspect my refrigerant may be over filled.  This will result in the overpressure sensor in the condenser (the front A/C heat radiator) tripping at higher revs in hot conditions.

When over filled, too much of the condenser/radiator is filled with already condensed refrigerant, resulting in less area of the radiator being available to do the job of heat exchange as the refrigerant condenses.  This has the effect of raising the temperature of the working (gas/condensing gas) part of the condenser/radiator, which in turn means higher pressures in that whole half of the A/C system.  And worse fuel economy with the A/C on as the compressor has to work against higher pressures than it should have to to maintain the specified vacuum between it and the evaporator.

The easiest way to test for this is to spray water on the condenser with the A/C running and to see if you only get the water steaming of a small - typically the top - portion of the condenser.  This might only be visible by a portion of the condenser drying out (much) faster than another as the water vapour will be drawn away from  sight by the radiator fan.

I haven't done this yet as a quick look reveals little access to the front of the radiator area from either above, or below.  Spraying in through the grill is the only easy option for this which I will try soon.  During car wash number two, most likely.

Another possible option is that the system was filled without sucking the air out first.  This will also lead to higher pressures on the condenser side of the system.  In which case, venting some refrigerant slowly from both high and low pressure sides of the system will also "sweep" out any air in there.  This is something to only do with the A/C OFF.  If the refrigerant is coming out fast enough to bring some of the oil that is mixed in with it, you're venting way too fast.  Let me report back or PM me before trying this one though.

Yes, I like my A/C cold...  :D

Cheers,
Pete

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal