i30 Owners Club

Rim / tire size for winter - smaller rims better?

peon2t · 13 · 4550

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Hello

Since it started to snow in the Swiss "lowlands" last week-end, I'm finally convinced that I should get winter tyres.

So yesterday I ordered rims (enzo w) and tyres (goodyear ultragrip 8   -  both 15 inch, like my original hyundai summer tyres) according to the advice of a tyre dealer I know (because it's actually a customer of me).

Today he called me that his central warehouse told him that it is not a good idea to fit those on a i30 GD. Another branch has tried it some days ago on some i30 and noticed that the rims come too close to the brakes.

Long story short: Instead of 15" rims and tyres he now wants to sell me 16" rims and tyres because then we surely would not have and problems fitting them.

Now it's not only that the 16" stuff is quite a bit more expensive, I'm also remembering thet I read somewhere ( http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/i30-2012/ ) , that the handling / steering is noticeably worse with bigger wheels on the i30.

Can anyone tell me something about this? Is the handling really better with smaller wheels? Because it would be a bit annoying to pay more and have a worse result...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Today he called me that his central warehouse told him that it is not a good idea to fit those on a i30 GD. Another branch has tried it some days ago on some i30 and noticed that the rims come too close to the brakes.

Either the wheel rotates or it doesn't. If the wheel rotates then it's not too close to the brakes IMO.
According to the pic of enzo w rims, ventilation shouldn't be a problem, so I wouldn't change, but I'm not a tyre expert.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
6x15 rims is standard with 195/65-15 tyres, so offcourse this size can be used.

If they had problems rotating these wheels on a i30 GD, they must have used rims not proper for this car.  :fum:

I'm sure you will get better handling with 16" rims, but only on dry roads. Use this size for summertyres. Wintertyres should be as small as possible, as thinner tyres cut easier through the snow.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree with Asterix.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Thanks for your informations!

I think one of the problems is, that they don't have much experience yet about which rims in which sizes fit to the new i30.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for your informations!

I think one of the problems is, that they don't have much experience yet about which rims in which sizes fit to the new i30.
It's not hard, regardless of make of car.
A rim is a rim. If it doesn't rub on the caliper it should be OK.
But offset is another matter. You need to be sure that's right or the car's handling could be affected.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Today I got the new rims and tyres for winter. So my  195/65 R15 have been replaced by 205/55 R16.

The steering feels quite a bit different now - but I'm not yet sure if I like it better, worse or just 'different'. But I'm under the impression that the same turn on the steering wheel new leads to a stronger reaction.

Be that as it will, I've noticed some other issue: Because the tyres are a bit wider now (at least I guess that this is the reason) it now soils the side of my car :(

I think some of the water which stayed in the wheel case before now sprays up to the side. I attached some picture that you can see what I mean. It's worse on the other side (goes up half the door) but I couldn't take a picture there because of the sun.

There was no such soiling with the summer tyres even when I drove trough half the country in the rain.
What you see on the picture is the result of 15 sunny kilometers (just sometimes a bit water on the road from the rain last night) form the tyre-guy to my place.

Anyone had such issues? I think quite a lot of you drive 205/55 R16 or even bigger, right?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Today I got the new rims and tyres for winter. So my  195/65 R15 have been replaced by 205/55 R16.

I attached some picture that you can see what I mean.

Anyone had such issues? I think quite a lot of you drive 205/55 R16 or even bigger, right?

:) I did other way around - my winter wheels are 195/65 and summer ones are 205/55

Can see no photo.

no as far as I recall

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Hmm, I can see the photo. Here is the URL for those who can't see: http://wstaw.org/m/2012/11/05/soil.jpg
:D   Could not locate remote server

update:  I can see it now

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Be that as it will, I've noticed some other issue: Because the tyres are a bit wider now (at least I guess that this is the reason) it now soils the side of my car :(

The standard wheels have a 45mm offset
You have 7J wheels which will cause the tyre sidewall to be a little further out.  But what is the offset of those wheels?

For winter I have replaced the standard 205/55 x 16 on   16 x 6J wheels with Hyundai Coupe 16 x 6½J wheels and 205/55 x 16 Dunlop SP  Wintersport 4D.  I got the Coupe wheels for £80 much cheaper than new steel wheels.

Edited:  Found my list of standard factory wheel dimensions although these may vary slightly as my 205/55 x 16 have an ET (offset) of 47 marked on them not 51 as in the list.

R15 185/65 (5.5J x 15 5x114.3 d67.1 ET47.0)
R15 195/65 (5.5J x 15 5x114.3 d67.1 ET45.0)
R16 205/55 (6.0J x 16 5x114.3 d67.1 ET51.0)
R17 225/45 (7,0J x 17 5x114.3 d67.1 ET56.0)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 17:29:45 by baradeur »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Fit a set of mudflaps. That will reduce the spray on the doors significant.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fit a set of mudflaps. That will reduce the spray on the doors significant.

My thoughts exactly. :goodjob:

Around A$90 for a set of 4 from the dealer (in Australia) a bit cheaper off ebay but be careful as the hatch and CW versions are a bit different  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal