i30 Owners Club

Headrest DVD players

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
I've read some good reviews of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XTRONS-HD903-2-X-9-LCD-CAR-HEADREST-DVD-PLAYER-GREY-/190449804868?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item2c57b16644

Has anyone fitted anything similar?  My main concerns are:
Will fitting them invalidate the warranty?
Should I wire them in to the loom or just get an adapter for the power socket?
How are they going to feel compared to the standard ones (which we would prefer went back slightly further)?

If anyone can answer those then great, if not then I may well end up being the guinea pig...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi M8.. don't recall these being used by another member on this site (up to now) Would only void the warranty on the headrests and any wiring you tampered with (is my guess)

Could effect the "anti-whiplash" headrest function (forget the correct name at this moment) but certainly look like a nice idea ..

Something similar advertised by one of the bigger department stores in recent junk mail... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• White SX i30, Ducati ST2
Hi jw_guildford, i used these EONON i got from ebay and they work great. i used a cigarette plug from an auto shop and hooked up both the power supplies to it. it wasn't hard to do, the only problems i had was that the wireless headphones that came with it weren't loud enough so i opened up each dvd player and connected a headphone jack sourced from dicksmiths to each of the speaker wires inside each unit for normal headphones. The anti-whiplash headrest side of things still works because it is part of the backrest not the headrest( as can be seen in the pics )hope this help you to choose.

wai30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
Thanks wai30.  Those pics are great, but can you tell me a bit more about that last one with the wiring?  I was thinking the easiest thing to do would be to get the adapter so they can be plugged in to the power socket next to the cigarette lighter as and when required, but if there were a neater approach that a simpleton like me could achieve then that'd be ace.

I was looking at the XTRONS as they have 9" screens, and a zip so they can be hidden away a bit.  I can't quite make up my mind on the IR headphones, at the moment they'd be superfluous (little one is only 17 months old and would have them off in seconds!) but it may be worth getting them now so when she is ready for them we can listen to something other than the soundtrack to her DVD!  Hmmm....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just a word of warning..

I work for Radio Rentals and we find many DVD mechanisms struggle to last 12-18 months before replacement (laser can sometimes start to get choosy with what it will read even before that )..

So these all in one solutions can be a problem if that happens..(not economical to repair)

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
Thanks for the warning Dazzler.  I think I'll probably still give it a go, it'll be very helpful to have something to keep the little one entertained (or in some cases just awake!) and if they don't last then these things take SD cards and USB flash drives so I'll have something to fall back on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the warning Dazzler.  I think I'll probably still give it a go, it'll be very helpful to have something to keep the little one entertained (or in some cases just awake!) and if they don't last then these things take SD cards and USB flash drives so I'll have something to fall back on.

Fair Call... Although these integrated setups are usually the tidiest solution (I can see the appeal) often separate monitors with an input from a separate player are a better long term solution but the fact you can also use SD card and Flash drive negates the disadvantage as you have said... :cool:

Offline wai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• White SX i30, Ducati ST2
Hi JW, i am not an auto electrciain, but mine were fairly easy to put in. the pic you pointed out is just where i hide the cables so they can't be jerked around by my daughters feet. i have used a cigarette power plug which runs under the edge of the centre console to the power plug up front.

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
I've taken the plunge and ordered them, I'll post an update once they're fitted...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
nice man!!! make sure you do pics of the install!

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
Fitted them yesterday, haven't used them in anger yet (we wanted the little one to sleep on the way home last night) but first impressions are very good.

I took some pics so will post a guide when I get a bit of time.

Offline jw_guildford

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnborough
Okay, sorry for the ridiculous delay.  Having had them fitted for a while I'm happy I got them.  Though firm I find if anything I prefer them from our point of view as they don't extend as far forwards, and because of the zip-up covers they aren't at all obvious.  They made our long trip far, far more pleasant for our daughter, and hence us, and we've used them a few times since on short trips when we haven't wanted her to fall asleep at the wrong time.  Anyway, here's a quick guide to fitting...

Remove the existing headrests (just press the button on the seat where the pole goes in and lift the headrest out)

Remove the seat backs - there's a flap at the bottom that clips on to the base of the seat, then they have hooks over a bar at the bottom of the seat back and clips at the top.  The first one I think I removed by lifting the bottom up (flexing the back) until the hooks cleared but I was never able to replicate this and ended up using largely brute force at the top so the clips slid out of the backs.  No doubt there's a better way to do it!

Remove the centre console - there are instructions here somewhere, but a condensed version is:
Remove the carpet from the storage compartment behind the handbrake lever and remove the 2 bolts.
Unclip and remove the gearstick gaitor (the material bit around the stick).
Unclip and remove the gearstick surround (the plastic bit - you'll need to undo the connector blocks for the power sockets and ipod/usb ports)
Undo all the screws (sorry, I can't remember how many there are, I can say there are 2 right at the front under little flaps that can be lifter with a small flat-head screwdriver and at least 2 under the gearstick surround you've just removed)

Thread the cables for the DVD players through the holes where the headrest poles go (just the short ones attached to the players).  Decide which connections you want - I connected the AV-out from one to the AV-in of the other so the same DVD could be played on both screens.  Thread the required longer cables from the centre console to the seat backs - I found it easier to go this way than the other, as I could push the cables under the carpet to where the air-con vents come out under the front seats (did you know these were there?  I didn't!).  I then ran the cables through the loop holding the seat sensor cable and up in to the seat back (on the opposite side of the seat to the centre console), thus not having to make any new holes in the seat.  Connect these cables to the ones coming down from the players, and fit the poles in to the seat so the new headrests are in place.

Decide where you're going to put the fuse boxes.  I went for the gap in the centre console between the cup holders and the storage compartment.  That was plan B, initially I tried under the handbrake lever (as in the picture) but it fouled the lever!  Run the power cable from the front of the console to here - I went for a plug so we have control over the power, and so I didn't have to touch the car's electrics, but I believe there's a point available around where the power socket is that provides power when the ignition is on.

Connect up the cables as required, i.e. power to the fuse boxes (solder them or use a standard electrical connector block) and in my case one set of AV-ins to a set of AV-outs.  If you get the power socket adapter as I did it replaces one of the players' power cable.  At this point you can check everything works!

I bundled up the fuse boxes and the connected cables in a little bag I fabricated, to make them easier to manage.  It was then just a case of putting everything back together.  You can put the surplus lengths of cable in to the backs of the seats, ensuring there's enough slack to cover the entire movement range of the front seats.

I think that's it, I'm afraid it's all I can remember.  It took my Dad and me about 3 hours I think, but we weren't rushing (until the very end when we started to run out of light) and it could be done considerably more quickly, especially if you get a good guide to removing the centre console.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal