i30 Owners Club

terrible i30 panel gaps and bonnet fit on brand new 2018-on PD 3rd gen

Russ-41 · 42 · 10879

Offline Russ-41

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire
I seem to be having a discussion in a spin dryer.  :head_butt:

You do not understand how precisely these cars are manufactured.

Sorry, what are trying to say? I've confirm that 5 out of about 7 cars have the issue, I'm sure the chassis is accurate, they're robotically manufactured and I would imagine self check and either adjust within limits or report.... The panels and bonnet haven't been fitted well, different issue, and I imagine done by hand.
  • 2019 i30 Fastback 1.4 T-GDi SE Nav

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I parked alongside a 2019 i30 this afternoon while my wife was in a garden centre and took a look at the i30 out of curiosity. The panel gaps around the bonnet on that car were not equal side to side but I was only aware of it because that was what I was checking for. I couldn't remember which side of the car your post referred to - so I can't swear this car was identical. In this instance,  I don't think the average family motorist would ever notice.  The trouble is once you spot a discrepancy, it knocks your eyes out each time you glance at your car.

I walked along the car park to see if I could spot another i30 to compare it with - unfortunately I didn't.

It caused me the look at my Niro though - but it seems OK.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I seem to be having a discussion in a spin dryer:head_butt:
You do not understand how precisely these cars are manufactured.

Sorry, what are trying to say?  I'm sure [assume] the chassis is accurate, they're robotically manufactured and I would imagine self check and either adjust within limits or report.... The panels and bonnet haven't been fitted well, different issue, and I imagine done by hand.

What I AM saying is that we have tried to help with your problem, but we are back where we started.

In your first post you complained that:

"I noticed the panel gap on the drivers side between the wing and the A pillar ...I can see the chassis and bits though the gap, it's HUGE!! ....the passenger side is absolutely spot on!"

This was to follow:

But apparently the garage thinks there isn't any wiggle room, and they just push the error from one place to another, and the only way to fix it would be large amounts of filler and a respray??? Also they said the panels are fixed with locating bolts, there isn't any adjustment in them.........
I'm just not happy with his guys evaluation here, it seems to favour them doing nothing about it.

In your latest reply you confirm your new understanding of vehicle manufacture, so I remain perplexed when you reiterate the above comedic conversation with some idiot and then take no action against the dealer... instead we all seem to be contributing to an episode of Little Britain.  :beer:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I parked alongside a 2019 i30 this afternoon while my wife was in a garden centre and took a look at the i30 out of curiosity. The panel gaps around the bonnet on that car were not equal side to side but I was only aware of it because that was what I was checking for. I couldn't remember which side of the car your post referred to - so I can't swear this car was identical. In this instance,  I don't think the average family motorist would ever notice.  The trouble is once you spot a discrepancy, it knocks your eyes out each time you glance at your car.

I walked along the car park to see if I could spot another i30 to compare it with - unfortunately I didn't.

It caused me the look at my Niro though - but it seems OK.

Interesting Alan. I'll make a point of checking some Korean built current models when I see them around. I usually spot this sort of stuff if it is obvious. Certainly didn't appear to be a problem on my little red rocket.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Due to my 'career path'  I too have gap eye.:D

I cant say Ive noticed any problem, unless the car has previously been in a heavy prang.

My hints and assessment ( conveniently from afar) is that:

1. Threaded Bolt holes on sub frame are probably in correct place. If not, corrections can be made.

2. Holes on guards and hinges are enlarged and have scope for adjustment.

3. Bolts securing hinges to door and bonnet are self centering - no scope to move.

4.Right hand guard or door has been incorrectly manufactured or poorly fitted.

5. Other panels have been fitted in a way to try and compensate for the error.

6.The problem can be easily rectified by changing faulty panel or refitting.

7. The above can only be achieved by owners engaging spine.  :evil:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 22:50:04 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Seems a fair call thanks Gary.

"Engaging spine" = Stand your ground until the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know you posted pictures but can you post again but this time place a rule to show gap sizes.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
As far as I can tell, it's not working, back to the drawing board!
Your photos are visible if that's what you mean

News to me mate, I can only see the last two.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just wandered out with my micrometer. My panel gaps there are mostly about 3.2mm and max 3.6mm and I don't have the panel droop.

Thanks for your input. This is contrary to Op's opinion after his tour of the sales yard.

We looked at 5 different i30's spanning 18+ months and they were all similar with varying degrees of error. The most acceptable was an i30 N-line.

Unfortunately, without photos, we are basing opinions upon the OP's rhetoric. Saying that I'm not trying to diminish his information.

@Myowni30  has taken the trouble to post some useful photographs. So far it seems that the problem may be confined to the RH front.
 However, his front door also seems to be too high. This misalignment would normally result in the gap between front and rear doors to be incorrect > eg. the gap will increase from top to bottom; it should remain the same.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As far as I can tell, it's not working, back to the drawing board!
Your photos are visible if that's what you mean

News to me mate, I can only see the last two.
I could see them all both on my tablet and pc.
Now I can't see any on my tablet.   :crazy1:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Okay, dealer fixed my paint and body panel gaps.

I had a good look around the showroom and forecourt at other i30's. All have uneven gaps both sides apart from 3 i30 N cars, strange that.
Two i20's were really bad. All new cars as well.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the update mate.  :goodjob2:  It seems like the new HY cars you are getting in the UK are a bit shabby.
One wonders what other parts have been kicked along the assembly line.

At least you have been proactive and got it sorted.  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

I can see this becoming cultural.  :wink:
 A good whinge to mother every evening about shitty hyundai panels ( lasts for about 3 years).
Then a good whinge to mother every evening about low Hyundai resale prices, because everyone thought the car had been a write off (lasts forever).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal