i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDi Blue Drive SE Tourer - decent model?

Offline brentstarburst

• 1st Gear

• Dorset, UK
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of Hyundai. I've made the mistakes of having costly Peugeots in the past!

I'm looking to upgrade out Peugeot 207 diesel (1.4) to a 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive SE Tourer. This is because my daughter is now at university and I need a car big enough for all her stuff!

I've read many reviews, watched many video reviews and all I can really garner is that its a good, reliable, solid car, but lacks the fun and performance of a Ford Focus Estate.

I'm off to try this one this evening.

As experienced Hyundai owners of the i30 - what do you guys think of the above model? Does it have the grunt for motorways etc? 95% of the time, it'll be driven around town, but at least three times a year, it'll be going down to Plymouth via motorways and dual carriageways - which is a good 2 hour drive. I'm just a bit concerned that it'll turn out to be a gutless wonder :-(

Thanks
  • Hyundai i30 Estate

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It looks nice. the 1.6CRDi is at home on the motorway. mine (in the previous model i30) spent lots of its time on the M4 and M5.

We have had a pug 207 1.6CRDi 110 (more power than yours) and an i30 FD CRD1.6 at the same time. Both capable cars on the motorway. 207 slightly light on the steering and pedals to close together for me really. Lots more room in the i30.

The electrics were shockingly susceptible to water ingress on the Peugeot.

The i30 might have a little more road noise.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Offline brentstarburst

• 1st Gear

• Dorset, UK
Thanks for the reply!

I traded in a Mazda 3 petrol because it was guzzling the fuel around town. The Peugeot has been great for that, but I've had to replace the clutch, replace the ABS and steering systems, so that kinda nulled the savings. The back windscreen wiper has a mind of it's own!

We'd just like a decent car which isn't a slouch or gutless - from what you're saying, it sounds like this model is good  :goodjob2:
  • Hyundai i30 Estate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Brent,

The 1.6 CRDi certainly isn't gutless. Infact it punches above its weight for a 1.6.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline brentstarburst

• 1st Gear

• Dorset, UK
Welcome Brent,

The 1.6 CRDi certainly isn't gutless. Infact it punches above its weight for a 1.6.  :goodjob:

Well that's good news :-)

Looking forward to trying it out!!!!!

First thing I'd do is change the head unit. It's that super basic black and blue one.
  • Hyundai i30 Estate

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah good luck with the test drive - it should be ok :)

I was a little concerned when I looked up its MOT history and notice it initially failed its most recent :scared:  ;)

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal