i30 Owners Club

Tourer/estate rear brake pads 20,000kms

TimH · 12 · 3845

Offline TimH

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      The Ponds, Sydney
I wa just doing my 20,000km wheel rotate and gave the brakes a cursory look. The fronts are ok but  the rears are cactus! I didnt measure it but the pad material left is less than the thicknes of the pad backing plate. So here's the thing; at the 15,000kms service there was 75% brake material left front and rear (according to the service report). The hand brake also got adjusted apparently.

Since the last service I must admit the car has lost a bit of its punch, I recon the diesel engine is probably the best part of the car but its taken a lot more throttle to get it up the local hills than it used to and has been using more fuel too.  I did mention this to the dealer a few weeks back as I was nearby. I wondered if there had been an ecu update I didnt know about but it was only the global update on the electric power steering computer that got touched. 

So have they overadjusted the handbrake (there is some drag whenI turn them by hand or are the calipers sticking? Either way the dealer will be getting a call on Monday! By the way I am in my 50's and have never in nearly 40 years of driving ever worn a set of brakes out so quickly. Yes I drive it around town a bit but consider myself a mechanically sympathetic driver.
  • I30 crdi tourer

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So far I have gotten 128,500k out of mine, so I would be surprised if the 75% they put on your service card was accurate, should be closer to 98%.

The I30 has a reputation on here as being very light on brakes, so I suspect your diagnosis is correct.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Very unusual.
I'm guessing GD with that many KM's? Mechanical handbrake, not electric?
GD use the caliper as the handbrake. The only adjustment is to the cable and requires removal of centre console to do so. If the adjusted the cable there is a good chance the brakes have been dragging.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Very unusual.
I'm guessing GD with that many KM's? Mechanical handbrake, not electric?
GD use the caliper as the handbrake.

I'm pretty sure my (euro) i30 has a drum handbrake, but i won't take a bullet for it, coz the misses has popped out with it so i can't check just now.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline TimH

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      The Ponds, Sydney
I have spoken to the dealer and its booked in for them to check. They have initially suggested that the stability control uses the rear brakes a lot and as there are lots of roundabouts and twisty suburban roads this would cause extra wear. If this is the reason for wearing the back brakes out in 19,800kms  then this is crazy.

The wheels got a clean yesterday and this morning a wipe with my finger on the rear wheel shows there is brake dust there. The fronts are clean still.

Incidentally the parking brake operates directly onto the back of the caliper.

Am I alone with this problem?
  • I30 crdi tourer

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd guess you are alone in this as I've not seen any wear factor like this in any car, let alone an i30.

Despite what the dealer says, I think everyone else on here who's commented on their brakes has 100,000 klm plus, up on their pads and the rears wear better than the fronts.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd guess you are alone in this as I've not seen any wear factor like this in any car, let alone an i30.

Despite what the dealer says, I think everyone else on here who's commented on their brakes has 100,000 klm plus, up on their pads and the rears wear better than the fronts.

and there are a lot of roundabouts where Trevor lives..  :whistler:

I suspect the Euro built cars may have softer pads than the Korean cars, as I have never seen brake dust build up on wheels so quickly as it does on Trish's 2014 Tourer..

Trish does only around 130 kms per week, mainly town driving and I can almost see the brake grime darken daily on her wheels!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

and there are a lot of roundabouts where Trevor lives..  :whistler:

True dat.  :eek:
A whole suburb of roundabouts. Not one traffic light in sight.  :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I have spoken to the dealer and its booked in for them to check. They have initially suggested that the stability control uses the rear brakes a lot and as there are lots of roundabouts and twisty suburban roads this would cause extra wear. If this is the reason for wearing the back brakes out in 19,800kms  then this is crazy.

Forget that suggestion. The ESC only operates when the sensor senses a g force greater than a preset  acceptable amount and acts as an emergency control to assist the driver. When activated, you should have an ESC warning on the dash and I suspect that you don't drive in that fashion normally. Ours has only ever displayed once and that was to avoid a car unexpectedly changing lanes into our path.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Phil beat me to it.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Plus you'd need to be razzing it a lot for that to be the cause. I can only recall my active yaw control firing a few times in five years, and never in the dry to my recollection. I suspect the rear pads on mine will last the life of the car LOL.

Offline tristan00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hallett Cove, SA
sounds excatly like the problem I am having, totally agree this is not good at all for brake wear.
  • i30 wagon 2013 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal