i30 Owners Club

New Possible Head Unit

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
So, after waiting for one to pop up on ebay, i have come across this

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD PLAYER/DVD/FACTORY MP3/WMA/AUX/BLUETOOTH, GD, O5/12- 12 | eBay

i have a 2015 active x model as i have previously stated. can anyone confirm if this would fit/work completely (inc. reverse camera) if i had it installed, and if so, would i be able to update it to include android auto?

• Hyundai i30 Active X 2015

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As you've already got a 2015 model then I'd assume it is the same head unit you already have, GD 03 head units are Apple/Android carplay updateable I believe but you should ring Hyundai to confirm.

Offline blakeclayton12

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
I have the 5" screen one which i was under the impression they were not compatible. taking it to my local hyundai tomorrow 😀
  • Hyundai i30 Active X 2015

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
For $200 I'd jump on it! Wouldn't mind getting one for our GD eventually

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: elantraelite
For $200 I'd jump on it!

Wouldn't that damage it? :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Maybe not in his socks. :P
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So, after waiting for one to pop up on ebay, i have come across this

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD PLAYER/DVD/FACTORY MP3/WMA/AUX/BLUETOOTH, GD, O5/12- 12 | eBay

i have a 2015 active x model as i have previously stated. can anyone confirm if this would fit/work completely (inc. reverse camera) if i had it installed, and if so, would i be able to update it to include android auto?

Assuming you have a GD-02 currently (and not a GD-03 as has been suggested you may have)...

Short answer: No I can't confirm - esp as I don't have a GD.   However...

Longer answer: It is pin compatible - in other words inputs/outputs haven't moved around on the main plug(s) - however, at least one function might work without adaption BUT that really depends on the wiring loom of the car... it might be the connection/cable needed is already there (again I don't know).

Long answer: Comparing the pinout of the GD-03 (from the ebay photo) to the pinout of the GD-02 :link: GD-02 Pinout - shows that no pins appear to have changed function (i.e. doing something actively different), a couple seem to be referenced by slightly different labels/names (but it appears just that name difference).   However five pins have be labelled 'Not Connected' (N/C). - i.e. have lost function (rather than changed)

The important 4 of those 5 are for 'USB' - on the GD-03 it appears they have been moved to a separate connector called 'USB JACK'.  If moving from GD-02 to GD-03 then you will need someway to connect the USB socket in cabin of the car to the connector on the GD-03.   Now it *could be* that the appropriate cable/connector is already present in the car (the cabin socket may have been wired for both GD-02 and GD-03 - which would have made for ease of 'option upgrade') - however I just don't know.  Equally it could be a case of just getting the cable for the GD-03 and plugging it in to the back of the USB socket in place GD-02 connection/wires - again I don't know.

Worse case - to do it OEM fashion - you might need to get the cable and replacement USB socket.   However... if you needed to do that you could also, probably, just get the GD-03 USB cable and then rewire the GD-02 USB socket wires to it (though it would likely involve cutting and soldering wires) - again I don't know as I don't have any of the items to play/inspect.

I really doubt it in this case... there is a very slim chance (it is pretty unlikely but I have seen it occasionally in electronics) that while they have moved the function to a separate connector - they haven't bothered to (or purposely decided not to) disconnect the original pins.   Though, if you see it, it is usually between revision/version changes of a specific model rather than between models.

I mentioned there were 5 pins - the other was 'Speed'... it appears the GD-03 doesn't support that input.... so it will just ignore it.   That function, unless I am mistaken, was so the headunit would increase/decrease volume as you went faster/slower to help overcome the change in road-nose from difference in speed - I can't say I really noticed it have much noticeable difference for me.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm looking into boosting Firty's connectivity by adding a USB WiFi dongle for her socket hidden under the centre armrest. If I can find a cheap device that can sit there permanently and act as a WiFi server, I'll be able to link my smartphones to the stereo for perhaps a couple of $.  :happydance:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I'm looking into boosting Firty's connectivity by adding a USB WiFi dongle for her socket hidden under the centre armrest. If I can find a cheap device that can sit there permanently and act as a WiFi server, I'll be able to link my smartphones to the stereo for perhaps a couple of $.  :happydance:

That is an interesting idea - would be good to see how it turns out.

I have a funny feeling though, at least for the OEM (both worldwide and AU) models for the FD, that the dongle would need to present as mass-media stick or media device (iPhone) of some-kind - otherwise it will be ignored (other than being powered - I suspect).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Precisely. I can't ask too much of the OEM and will have to fool it into seeing a USB.
...which means I may as well use a USB. :'(

The other option is going after-market with a cheap tablet which already has all the WiFi bling in it. :whistler: :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal