i30 Owners Club

Smoke cloud & smell of unburnt diesel

peon2t · 10 · 4190

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Hi

After driving home and exiting the car tonight (it was alreaddy dark) I noticed a huge smoke cloud in the light of a street light that is located 5 to 10 metres behind my parking lot. I was quite suprised because with the current weather it's very unlikely to have fog patches or something similar flying around.
At the same time I started to notice the smell of unburnt diesel that we all know well from the refueling at the gas station. The smell and the smoke disapopeared shortly after.

Since there was no other vehicle around and I can't imagine another source of the somke & the smell I'm worring that the smoke & the smell was "porduced" by my i30. Because it was dark I can't give any more information about the color of the smoke.  But I did look around (and under) the car with a torchlight and found no drops.

Anyone experienced something similar?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Was the engine running smoothly during you drive home. :question:

Suggest, a daytime drive to confirm that nothing is wrong.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Yep, I'll have an open eye tomorrow for sure. Just tought that I ask here before, because it could be a common issue.

I have not noticed any very noticeable "unsmoothness" during my drive home, however I feel the smoothness and sound varies a bit anyway according to temperature etc., so I never can be sure.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIK, unburnt Diesel has only been reported here at start up, due to failed glow plugs. The glow plugs cease their function as soon as the engine is hot enough for compression to ignite the fuel, so there shouldn't and generally isn't unburnt fuel present at the END of a drive.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Like Phil said, this happened to my car on start up. The glow plug fuse had blown causing the problem.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Yes, I remember the reports about white smoke on cold start (actually I experienced it two or three times myself). This can happen due to glowplug malfunction - or generally if the car doesn't ignite on first try.

But as Phil stated, it must be something different here because there's absolutely no need for glowplugs when the engine already ran for more than 30 minutes.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
This morning I drove around a bit an noticed nothing unnormal. So I'm a bit relieved... for now

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I guess that's good news.  :mrgreen:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
This morning I drove around a bit an noticed nothing unnormal. So I'm a bit relieved... for now

If the evening was still i.e. no air movement it's quite possible you were seeing the left overs which someone else have made.  You wife's lover perhaps   HAhahahaahaaaa   Just KIDDING   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal