i30 Owners Club

Radio in 2011 I30 CRDI

Offline MrSnowman

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Ronneby, Sweden
I read the radio replacement guide but i personaly don't want to change it eventhough i have a radio that i could put in (kenwood 8044).

I'd like to know if it's possible to use some kind of connector to get rca-out from the stereo that came with my I30.
I don't like using (High Level) to Line Level Converters for many reasons.
Also is it possible to fit a powercable from the battery to my amp without drilling a hole in the firewall?

Also read that their are factory stereo with some kind of subwoofer. Need more info on that.

Also i'd like to know if anyone has had problems with the radio being extremely sensitive when it comes to changing between stations. I travel 90km single trip every day to work and if i stay on the same station it changes many times between the different signal-providers leaving me with disturbingly low quality of the radiostation. If I adjust it to a signal-provider which has great quality of my radiostation it changes back to the one with bad quality very often.

//Magnus
  • I30 2011 1.6 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Magnus,

Sounds like you have RDS (which I don't think we get in Australia)

I would imagine there is some way to turn it off in the settings.

Can't help with the other questions sorry  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Don't we have a South African member who's a full bottle on RDS?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline MrSnowman

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Ronneby, Sweden
Yes i think it's got RDS but when i drove my old car with the kenwood i had no problem what so ever..
  • I30 2011 1.6 crdi

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The RDS has nothing to do with this. It's Radio Data Service, they just pump some data on the top of the broadcast to tell you song titles, station names and whatever else the broadcaster sees fit. It has no effect on your reception quality.

I just threw out my '11 model i30 radio because it IS rubbish. Already replaced once under warranty because the BT died, and recently (the bit that triggered my changing) was reception started to drop out in the metro area (flat). As it turns out the bastards at Morley HY gave me a refurbished unit as a replacement that I only found out about now, after swapping it to a different radio. The local electronics repairer's sticker was kinda dead giveaway... :fum:

The standard radio has only ISO plugs for speakers out, power, backlight, temp etc. and a proprietary set for USB, steering wheel controls an iPod connectivity. I don't think RCA was invented when these units were designed  :faint:

Either way, the structure of the dash behind the radio could be a limiting factor for RCA plugs behind any head unit. Look up my thread about the replacement, a few photos there to give you some idea.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The RDS has nothing to do with this. It's Radio Data Service, they just pump some data on the top of the broadcast to tell you song titles, station names and whatever else the broadcaster sees fit. It has no effect on your reception quality.

Yep, I know that but I think it does that switching between channels thing too...

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No Dazz, it does not. Check out this bit about RDS. Even though its Wikipedia, most of it is correct.

Blame our mad friend from South Africa then (He gave me that impression with something he said ) ..

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I was hoping you missed my foot in mouth disease outbrake Dazz :P You are right, I found the info. Quite possible the OP's RDS buggers up the changerover.

The rest of my first post in this thread is correct though...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was hoping you missed my foot in mouth disease outbrake Dazz :P You are right, I found the info. Quite possible the OP's RDS buggers up the changerover.

The rest of my first post in this thread is correct though...

No worries.. Not quite sure why that feature and the necessary extra broadcast info isn't available in OZ?

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
We do have RDS, but it's not used for much more than station name and song title broadcast. No need for anything else because we have very few FM stations compared to Europe (where RDS originates), so stations can keep the same frequency over the repeater network, no-one else took THAT particular frequency elsewhere.

The i30 radios must be the poverty range and the dealers most likely didn't want to spend the extra coin for something better over here, hence no RDS on our radios. In Europe however you cannot get by without it.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
If one does decide to replace the stock radio with another, how do you go with the steering wheel controls?

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
If one does decide to replace the stock radio with another, how do you go with the steering wheel controls?

You can get aftermarket head units that will "learn" the button codes off your existing steering wheel set.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

You can get aftermarket head units that will "learn" the button codes off your existing steering wheel set.

How do they connect them up? I doubt that the wiring harness would have the same arrangement as whatever after market head unit that the owner may choose to install.

I went into Autobarn yesterday to enquire about a double DIN unit to replace the one in my Mazda Tribute.

We looked at a Sony, as it has the navigator. I asked about steering wheel controls. The guy told me that there's some sort of adapter for $130. Add in fitting $120 on top of the $700 or the unit, it comes to just under a grand for a large screen (touch) unit with all the bells and whistles, but no disc drive.

I had a look at the radio in the i30. I'd have to source a replacement facia as the one in mine covers both the radio and the heater controls, if I decided to replace it.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Connections are entirely up to the head unit manufacturer. My unit can work with both digital and analogue switches, it has a learning function where you press buttons to teach the unit what is what.

If you cannot do this yourself, you are at the merci of the car stereo shops.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal