i30 Owners Club

Thud when shifting (at proper temperature)

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
I had about a 50km spirited drive home tonight and before entering the garage, my 6-spd shifting into 1st I felt and heard a thud. Tried to shift again, thinking I didnt push the clutch hard enough...It thud again. Tried to shift to 2nd..again, thud!

Each time I went back to neutral, let go of clutch, pushed clutch in and then shifted (but if I shift straight from 1st to 2nd without lifting clutch, there is no thud).

I did a lot of rowing gears on the drive home but I was sure to rev match.. Could it be a clutch calibration issue or something?

Car is a 2011 (6 month old) 1.6 CRDi -6spd with about 5400km on the odo.
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Get it checked quickly, my mates KIA did a similar thing,,,,,,, new clutch required. His car had more km's that yours and it may just require adjustment. If it is adjustment, leaving it will only make the problem worse.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bit of a worry but at that mileage should be o/k under warranty  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Don't really want the dealer to work on such a major part of the car as we owners aren't allowed to watch them work...God knows if they torque the bolts down correctly or follow the proper procedure......ohhh no....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't really want the dealer to work on such a major part of the car as we owners aren't allowed to watch them work...God knows if they torque the bolts down correctly or follow the proper procedure......ohhh no....

Same here. 

You have to trust them to follow the Hy specifications when working on the car.  You do have a warranty to fall back on should there be an issue at a later date....

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Yeah well last oil change, they put in 6 liters of oil into the car...I had to come back and ask them to remove it till it rested on the full line. I even ordered full synthetic oil for it...here, it's more expensive as we are required by hyundai to do 5000km service intervals. Ordering top of the line stuff, you'd think they would also do top notch work.... Apart from that, my engine bay was squeaky clesn, when they gave it back there were oil spills everywhere.

If they can't do oil changes well, what about the transmission then....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If they can't do oil changes well, what about the transmission then....

I see why you are concerned.

Isn't there another dealer you could go to?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi jfdelacruz

If you don't have confidence in your local Hyundai dealer, find another one. Haven't you got any friends or relatives who drives Hyundai, that can recommend another Hyundai dealer for you.. :question:

It is allways a question about confidence when you choose dealer, but according to your experiences with your current dealer, I don't blame you for not wanting them to touch your car.  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Its a shame that you cannot trust your dealer with routine jobs never mind something as major as a clutch. It sounds like its worth doing some research into finding a reputable dealer even if its in another town or city.
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal