VaerO · 10 · 2844

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Hello,

Just wondering how replacing highbeam lights work? Do high beams require a specific light to throw out enough light or are lights that a installed in the high beam socket simply feed more power hence more light being put out? I'm looking at installing the Phillips 'X-tremeVision' lights if compatible... also do I need to worry about heat? would installing non factory lights put out enough head to damage the light housing?

Thanks  :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As long as you replace the lights with the same type and wattage (check your manual), you will not cause damage to your light fittings. The choices you have, are then just brand name and individual performance differences. Some are brighter, but don't last as long as others, so it's a bit of a jungle out there.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm running Philips X-treme Vision globes in my FD and haven't had any trouble whatsoever.

Got them from HERE

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Defiantly need to upgrade the highbeams! Went for a small trip from Wagga to Tumut last night and even with my high's on I felt like the car was going to outrun the light! Do you reckon changing the lights will make much difference?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Defiantly need to upgrade the highbeams! Went for a small trip from Wagga to Tumut last night and even with my high's on I felt like the car was going to outrun the light! Do you reckon changing the lights will make much difference?
i think it is partly the design and materials used in the lights. Upgraded globes like those Rusty is talking about, make a small improvement..but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear ( as far as the lighting is concerned) :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@VaerO,

If I had your problem, I would suggest taking the car out to a quiet road and adjusting the HIGH BEAM ONLY to gain a little distance. Other members, may have experience with better halogen bulb replacements, but I don't.

ouri30

I would say an upgrade to HID high beams on the GD would be a good idea.  As I see it, this upgrade would not legally be an issue.  The regs. refer to low beam.  The high beam will be dipped when another vehicle approaches so there is no danger of dazzling oncoming traffic.  From my reading, high beam upgrades fall under the same legal regs. as driving lights.  The only issue is the delay of HID in achieving full brightness.

I have a pair of Phillips HID 4300k units (Canbus units) in the office to fit as high beam one of these days.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Whilst it is each person's decision whether to use HID's or not, I am opposed to the devices.

OEM fitted factory HID's use a levelling mechanism to prevent erroneous beams blinding oncoming traffic. HID's are about 4x brighter than halogens and an accidental failure to dip the beam, can easily blind oncoming drivers who are approaching YOU at speed.

However, I accept that some members have fitted these bulbs and are quite happy with them.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I dunno about the GD but from experience with my FD, the headlights need cranking up a bit from the standard setting to see further down the road.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal