i30 Owners Club

i30 5w Bulb Holder. in Headlight Unit

Offline Pegasus

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Mid. Glamorgan
Hi, fellow Hyundists.

I have a UK spec.  2013 i30 Active, 1.4, 5 door, petrol. Manual.

Has anyone had any experience  of changing the 5w sidelight bulbs, the Owners Handbook just states “Remove access cover at rear of (high beam) headlight Unit. Pull out bulb holder, pull out bulb, insert new bulb and replace”
Now isn’t  that Simple?

I have tried many times to pull out the “5w Bulb Holder” (next to the Main Beam Bulb) there is ample access, but it just refuses to move,   I can rotate the 5w holder around 180deg (with some difficulty) but it just will not Pull Out. I have applied as much force with my fingers as I can, I have not used any leverage, or pliers as this could damage the headlight unit.

Does anyone know if it is deigned to just pull out? or is it to be turned to align with a hidden slot, at a set position?

Any advice, or input, would be Greatly Appreciated. … Many Thanks,
  • i30 Active. 1.4 Petrol. Manual. 5 Door. 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I am puzzled as to why you'd want to access this bulb on a brand new car under warranty, am I missing somethings here ????   :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Possibly,LED upgrade, ASA.  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Pegasus, you're not the first to report this.

The holder will extract if you eat spinach and flex your biceps like The Hulk.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
pegasus, yes they do just pull out the first couple of times they hard very hard,I assume your doing an LED upgrade,I have put blue LEDS in mine,when  dark enough gives a blue angel eye affect.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Pegasus

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Mid. Glamorgan
I am puzzled as to why you'd want to access this bulb on a brand new car under warranty, am I missing somethings here ????   :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

The factory fitted 5w bulb gives off a comparative dim yellow light,     so I intend to upgrade to a modest whiter, brighter, light bulb. =

"Philips Xenon Blue Vision Ultra W5W"

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Pegasus
... I intend to upgrade to a modest whiter, brighter, light bulb. =

"Philips Xenon Blue Vision Ultra W5W"

Don't wish to pour cold water (or indeed anything) on that idea, but I got a set of those free with my Osram Night Breakers a few years ago; they made no real difference to the poor light emission, so I have LEDs in mine.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Pegasus

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Mid. Glamorgan
pegasus, yes they do just pull out the first couple of times they hard very hard,I assume your doing an LED upgrade,I have put blue LEDS in mine,when  dark enough gives a blue angel eye affect.

Thanks, Rick, for your definitive reply above, armed with this info - that its a "pull out" job, I dond a pair of good rubber gloves, and pulled with some considerable force, eventually they both pulled out, = Bulbs changed, job done.

There's an old saying, = "Faint Heart Nere Won Fair Lady" or in this instance = "You've got to know how to Pull Em"

Thank you all for your Help,  ......  Pegasus

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal