i30 Owners Club

Is my Petrol MPG normal in the UK

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
Hi I have the I30 Petrol comfort 1.4, I get according to the tirpometer 36.0mpg and on the motorway 36.2, I dont drive the car hard I am a careful driver e.g 60 on the motorway, no sharp braking etc, can you let me know what kind of mpg you get, but please similar spec only no diesels. thanks

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I'm on my second 1.4 i30 and that sounds about right with mixed driving. You really do need to take it easy to get into the 40+ mpg. eg drive at 40-50 for long distances with very light throttle  :lol:

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
I have done about 5000 miles in a 1.4 comfort and am mostly getting around 41 mpg. Most driving is stop/start 5 miles to and from work in traffic but also one long road trip at 70 to 80 mph through Europe.

i found economy improved after the long trip through Europe and I got past the first 1000 miles. I do move through the gears quickly ( I'm in 5th by the time I am doing 35 mph).

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Hi I have the I30 Petrol comfort 1.4, I get according to the tirpometer 36.0mpg and on the motorway 36.2, I dont drive the car hard I am a careful driver e.g 60 on the motorway, no sharp braking etc, can you let me know what kind of mpg you get, but please similar spec only no diesels. thanks

How often do you reset the mpg counter, as in holding the button in for ten seconds until it reads zero ?

I suspect that you haven't done that yet with the figures you give. I tend to get 31 mpg on very short trips of around one mile, on country roads it goes up to 48 and around 45 on the motorway at 75. Though if you do 100+ it goes down below 30 again.  :eek: Though I don't do 100+ very often (only when drunk  :lol:)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
My 1.6 petrol is amazing! I was expecting mid to low 30's, bruiser coming from a diesel returning 46Mpg locally & 51Mpg on a run.

But it's actually returning 44Mpg locally & 50Mpg on a run! At 3 - 4 p / litre less & the lower cost to buy I'm quids in... Just miss my 200Bhp turbo diesel rush lol!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
My 1.6 petrol is amazing! I was expecting mid to low 30's, bruiser coming from a diesel returning 46Mpg locally & 51Mpg on a run.

But it's actually returning 44Mpg locally & 50Mpg on a run! At 3 - 4 p / litre less & the lower cost to buy I'm quids in... Just miss my 200Bhp turbo diesel rush lol!

Think your 1.6 petrol is better than the 1.4 & 2.0 petrol because its got the ideal power to weight ratio  :D

Offline B164D

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Hopefully I've attached mpg calculations for my 1.6 petrol i30 edition from new. I've a fairly light right boot and try to adhere to speed limits. The last two tankfuls cover touring from Edinburgh to Lincoln and back. A bit poorer than I was hoping for but early days yet....

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

10 useful but not so obvious economy tips.

1) Dont drive with a full fuel tank.
2) Dont carry stuff about in the boot that you dont HAVE to carry about.
3) Make sure tyre pressures are correct.
4) Use brakes only for emergencies or if you make a driving mistake.
5) Dont cruise in Neutral, always use the over-run in as high a gear as possible    whenever possible.
6) Dont sit waiting for the engine to warm up on the driveway.
7) Dont "slip" the clutch in town driving.
8) Keep the windows shut if at all possible when driving.
9) Pick a route to your destinations that avoid towns / cities / traffic control etc, keep moving.
10) Always use the right gear... this is not always the highest gear for a given speed, 1,500 to 2,000 RPM gives me best economy.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

:eek: :eek: :eek:
What about STOP signs or to prevent you hitting your house/gate/garage or even the car in front??   :idea:Perhaps that is classed as emergency :question: :question: :wink: :wink:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

:eek: :eek: :eek:
What about STOP signs or to prevent you hitting your house/gate/garage or even the car in front??    :idea:Perhaps that is classed as emergency :question: :question: :wink: :wink:

Lol... nah thats self preservation but you get the drift  :mrgreen:

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Quote : But it's actually returning 44Mpg locally & 50Mpg on a run! At 3 - 4 p / litre less & the lower cost to buy I'm quids in... Just miss my 200Bhp turbo diesel rush lol!

I am amazed you are getting so many mpg - Are you sure?  I've just bought the 1.6 edition and drive it very carefully and the best I have managed via mixed driving is anything between 38.562 and 40.518 [ I compiled a spreadsheet as sonn as I bought the car] I would really love to get it averaging about 42 as I also just came from a diesel which always returned an average of 44mpg

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Quote : But it's actually returning 44Mpg locally & 50Mpg on a run! At 3 - 4 p / litre less & the lower cost to buy I'm quids in... Just miss my 200Bhp turbo diesel rush lol!

I am amazed you are getting so many mpg - Are you sure?  I've just bought the 1.6 edition and drive it very carefully and the best I have managed via mixed driving is anything between 38.562 and 40.518 [ I compiled a spreadsheet as sonn as I bought the car] I would really love to get it averaging about 42 as I also just came from a diesel which always returned an average of 44mpg

Yea I'm sure, average has been pretty much what you get 41 - 42 MPG since I became a bit more familiar lol!!
I needed to learn to drive it, differently to my diesel to be fair... but I'm happy enough, just wish it had a bit more torque....

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Yea I'm sure, average has been pretty much what you get 41 - 42 MPG since I became a bit more familiar lol!!
I needed to learn to drive it, differently to my diesel to be fair... but I'm happy enough, just wish it had a bit more torque....

Yeah, my biggest regret so far is that I didn't buy the diesel  :'( :'(

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Yeah, my biggest regret so far is that I didn't buy the diesel  :'( :'(

Its odd... I didnt want another diesel, I dont have the user profile for a diesel anymore & although Hy & Kia dont seem to suffer, In got the eebeegeebee's about DPF clogging / regenerating & EGR clogging.... all I do miss is my 194 Bhp & 260 ft lbs of torque... 8)

Offline likeamushroom

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle
Hiya.

My 1.4 petrol comfort is averaging around 36-38mpg around the doors and that's with me trying to be as economical as possible ie, no harsh braking, low revs, coasting etc etc. On a long run I'm only recording 43-44mpg and that's sticking to speeds of 50-55mph.
My i30 has now done just over 22000miles so is well and truly broken in. And i too was told by dealership on purchasing the car that i should expect to get a higher mpg consumption.

Regards.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
And i too was told by dealership on purchasing the car that i should expect to get a higher mpg consumption.

Regards.

That's your fault for having a moniker "like a mushroom"  ... You've got to expect people to keep you in the dark and feed you with bull$hit ...... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Hiya.

My 1.4 petrol comfort is averaging around 36-38mpg around the doors and that's with me trying to be as economical as possible ie, no harsh braking, low revs, coasting etc etc. On a long run I'm only recording 43-44mpg and that's sticking to speeds of 50-55mph.
My i30 has now done just over 22000miles so is well and truly broken in. And i too was told by dealership on purchasing the car that i should expect to get a higher mpg consumption.

Regards.

My 1.6 is almost as good when I cane it as when I try to drive economically... just 2 - 3 MPG less actually, averaging 40 now which is nice... :-)

On coasting... do you mean out of gear (in neutral) rolling down hills?

If so thats NOT the way to do it, if you stay IN gear & just lift your foot off the fuel supply is shut off so saves fuel, no fuel needed as momentum keeps the engine turning, whereas popping the car into neutral doesnt shut the fuel off, its needed to keep the engine idling.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
1.4 returning between 36 and 38 mpg. Hoped for more and I'm considering increasing tyre pressure just slightly. What pressures are people running?

Have found that decent branded fuel like esso or shell seems to make at least 1mpg difference compared to supermarket sludge.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm running 40psi in my CRDi and I'm more than happy with the fuel economy and more precise steering and handling..... :D

but, If you don't want to compromise ride quality you could try 36 -38 psi...... :goodjob:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
As diablo says, reset your mpg counter  :wink:

It makes you feel better for 2 mins before returning to disappointment.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Just reset all, covered 50 miles averaging 70 to 75 mph, the result was around 45mpg! Down the M1.

The only one I do not usually reset is the trip distance, not sure if this has made the difference in averaging the mpg?

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal