i30 Owners Club

[little bit long] i30 16 CRDi 128cv: sequential or manual transmission?

Offline Emanuele

• 1st Gear

• it Italy
      Modena
Hello, guys, I'm new here!
I've searched a little bit on web/there before share my hesitance....
Sequential or manual????  :wacko:
I'm close to buy (and for sure) the i30 in subject, but I've tried the one with the manual one and an i40 (17 instead 16) with sequential to understand difference.
Not worried about cost difference and consumptions.
Premised that I love to do (always in safety) sport driving, and I go with 40000 km/year for work, also in highways and sometime in tailbacks... and I love use the manual transmission...

I have a dream about sequential one.
The one on the i40 I tried it's amazing, but there was no possibility to use it on roads with funny silhouette...
The response of the sequential (also in auto mode) one seems ok, but...
Someone of you had the same doubt about this topic?

Thank you for now (and sorry for long post...)
Emanuele
  • 2012 i30 16 CRDi 128cv Diesel Aqua Blue

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Go whichever way you lean Emanuele.
I lean towards the manual. Had one before and loved it, got another one on order.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I usually prefer Manuals (even though my Hybrid is a CVT transmission) Had no choice with that  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Welcome, I would go with the Manual if its a Diesel, as with the low end Torque you don't need to ride the clutch or shift gears as much  & very easy to drive in traffic(tailbacks ), as they seemed to have an anti stall programed in. like if your on a hill with hand brake on, you just shift to first gear ease out clutch till motor starts to push car, don't even touch the throtle, and when you want to go forward let handbrake off let clutch out no throtle and that little 1.6 CRDi will pull you up any hill at idle speed or slightly faster. no throtle, then if traffic moves faster just put your foot on throtle & off you go.
Also another reason i prefer Manual in a diesel is that with Auto ( any type Auto ) & a diesel motor, you will always get a flat spot just off the line or as you start off, it will be more pronounced if you want to excellerate hard off lights. reason being its just the way a diesel motor is controled. like with diesel you have a full bore of air, then when you throtle the fuel controles the speed, so will always get a flat spot just as you start off with Auto, it's not allways bad, just you will feel it. with manual you can hold rev up more for a fast take off ( not a good driving techneque, but you can if you choose ).
I think Auto is better with petrol. as no flat spot, fuel is injected & the throtle controls the amount of air.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome, I would go with the Manual if its a Diesel, as with the low end Torque you don't need to ride the clutch or shift gears as much  & very easy to drive in traffic(tailbacks ), as they seemed to have an anti stall programed in. like if your on a hill with hand brake on, you just shift to first gear ease out clutch till motor starts to push car, don't even touch the throtle, and when you want to go forward let handbrake off let clutch out no throtle and that little 1.6 CRDi will pull you up any hill at idle speed or slightly faster. no throtle, then if traffic moves faster just put your foot on throtle & off you go.
Also another reason i prefer Manual in a diesel is that with Auto ( any type Auto ) & a diesel motor, you will always get a flat spot just off the line or as you start off, it will be more pronounced if you want to excellerate hard off lights. reason being its just the way a diesel motor is controled. like with diesel you have a full bore of air, then when you throtle the fuel controles the speed, so will always get a flat spot just as you start off with Auto, it's not allways bad, just you will feel it. with manual you can hold rev up more for a fast take off ( not a good driving techneque, but you can if you choose ).
I think Auto is better with petrol. as no flat spot, fuel is injected & the throtle controls the amount of air.

I think I felt that once Lakes, I was on a roundabout during heavy traffic and decided to go for it. It wasn't a dangerous decision but I did have to gget away in a more spirited fashion, imagine my surprise when not a lot happened :-[ I must say that it's never happened since as this is not my normal driving style. I might sacrifice some fuel economy and try it a few times more just to prove your statement.

@Emanuele, Welcome to this forum. I think your best to go for a manual if you like sporty driving occasionally. (Dazz, I bet you thought I'd ever advise that.  :lol:)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I think I felt that once Lakes, I was on a roundabout during heavy traffic and decided to go for it. It wasn't a dangerous decision but I did have to gget away in a more spirited fashion, imagine my surprise when not a lot happened :-[ I must say that it's never happened since as this is not my normal driving style. I might sacrifice some fuel economy and try it a few times more just to prove your statement.

@Emanuele, Welcome to this forum. I think your best to go for a manual if you like sporty driving occasionally. (Dazz, I bet you thought I'd ever advise that.  :lol:)

If your useing an Auto CRDi & want to Go quick off the lights, just put one foot on the brake , to hold the car , & push your foot on throtle, this will let motor rev to the Torque Converters stall speed ( normally 1,500rev ).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Lakes, you are a speed demon. I know you love your bikes, but I can't see myself ever doing that  :lol:

It is a handy tip though. With an auto you also get an event called torque multiplication which is not possible with manual transmissions. It is interesting to read.  :goodjob2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter#Efficiency_and_torque_multiplication

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Lakes, you are a speed demon. I know you love your bikes, but I can't see myself ever doing that  :lol:

It is a handy tip though. With an auto you also get an event called torque multiplication which is not possible with manual transmissions. It is interesting to read.  :goodjob2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter#Efficiency_and_torque_multiplication

That's true, if the auto uses a Torque converter, but some auto's now don't use them & some have lock up torque converters. they normally lock up at say 80kph or so, helps economy i think?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I was mentioning that ( put torque convert up to stall speed for quick take off ) as i know what they drive like in Italy! LOL and if you don't go hard off the line, someone following you will most probably run into your rear. they are good drivers just drive fast all the time.

i used that techneque with work Trucks or vans when needed too.
Also another tip with driving an auto is to keep foot on throtle going through corners so you have full throtle conrole, otherwise they freewheel.

Pip
WRT torque multiplication, unless I misunderstand, all gear ratios higher than 1:1 will multiply the torque by that ratio. This happens in manual boxes and auto boxes when in the lower gears. It's obvious of course and the reason we feel so much extra power in low gears.

More specifically, the torque converter in an auto is designed to act like a variable gear which therefore will have a variable amount of torque multiplication (conversion). The equivalent happens in a manual when you slip the clutch on take off. A torque converter is really nothing more than a permanently slipping clutch. As noted, a lock-up mechanism can improve their efficiency.

I don't think torque multiplication is a unique feature or advantage for auto boxes. All auto boxes are inefficient and that costs fuel. Dual clutch autos are different of course because they are automatic manuals.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

I was mentioning that ( put torque convert up to stall speed for quick take off ) as i know what they drive like in Italy! LOL and if you don't go hard off the line, someone following you will most probably run into your rear. they are good drivers just drive fast all the time.

i used that techneque with work Trucks or vans when needed too.
Also another tip with driving an auto is to keep foot on throtle going through corners so you have full throtle conrole, otherwise they freewheel.

@Lakes, I've been to Rome. Had pizza at an outside cafe. There was an intersection and in the hour I was there, saw many near misses between Vespa motorscooters. IMO they are all crazy drivers over there  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal