i30 Owners Club

Diesel fuel filter internals

Guest · 39 · 12144

Instroe
Hi, just thought I would show what the internals of my diesel fuel filter looked like after 30,000 kms of filtering fuel (approx 1500 litres of diesel) this being the 60,000 km home service. It's visibly dirtier on the outside than the inside with a fine dark product, but certainly no sludge or excessive filth. No sign grit or rust and not one drop of water found. The new fuel filter was sourced from Burson Autopart in Ferntree Gully for AU$30.03, ex stock. Air and oil filter was ex stock too, oil filter AU$16.37, air filter AU$27.16. In my opinion the fuel filter it would be good for another 30,000 kms but for AU$30 why other risking it.
Hope it's of interest, Cheers. Instroe.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Instroe,good post,some time ago I did the same thing,I scrificed a new filter as well,when you consider when looking at the old and the new and the difference,even the one you have posted here,even though to the eye it does not look that dirty,in engine and injector senses,it would be considered filthy.

Like you also pointed out for the small price of the filters,why would you risk running them longer,thanks again
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i usually keep the fuel in them, then shake them like hell and back flush the fuel into a white ceramic bowl and inspect it for dirt!

mine was pretty good, ive had them where the fuel coming out is black!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I believe Diesel Bug, is black.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I just checked the invoice for when I got the fuel filter changed by Hyundai (at 58,130 ks).   $182.15.    !!!

Labour $47.25, parts $118.36, tax $16.56.

How difficult is it to change the fuel filter?  The workshop manager once said to me that it's all under high pressure and best not to do it myself.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Eureka,he's full of abbot,yes it is under pressure,but as you have tmo bleed the system anyhow,put your fuel pump fuse,start the car till it stalls, then if you have the correct spammers and know which things to disconnect.when you have done it a couple of times it is a twenty minute job,they seen you coming from a few kilometres away. I really hate the dishonest and rip off mentality of Hyundai servicing
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Don't know why the fifth word changed from what I typed,me thinks someone has a funny filter set  :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The labour cost isn't so bad, it's the rip off cost of the actual filter that I balk about paying. :fum:

You can buy genuine filters on fleabay for a third of the cost Hyundai slug you...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't know why the fifth word changed from what I typed,me thinks someone has a funny filter set  :rofl:

Sounds about right, anyhow.... :snigger:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes I typed full of shite,it came up as full of abbot,someone has a sense of humor

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
 :rofl: fooled the filter that time,I'll be getting told off soon  :evil:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There's a pictorial "how to" here somewhere, just gotta find it.  :undecided:

Have a read of this,

https://sites.google.com/site/instroe/i30-cdri-diesel-fuel-filter-replacement

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks to you and to instroe.  It's looks like a very comprehensive guide.  Should be do-able for me.  I won't be doing it real soon but I will let you know if/when I do it. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, a good report from Instroe.  :hatoff:

Get a quote from Hy, then let us know how much you saved.  :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I just checked the invoice for when I got the fuel filter changed by Hyundai (at 58,130 ks).   $182.15.    !!!

Labour $47.25, parts $118.36, tax $16.56.

How difficult is it to change the fuel filter?  The workshop manager once said to me that it's all under high pressure and best not to do it myself.

Thats why they don't get the servicing for mine. My 90k service was $540 (inc auto service) theirs was over 1k, and they wouldn't be using Mobil one oil, and they just change the auto fluid, I got mine completly flushed.

And yet for the wife's car, its fixed price at $289 for the whole service (up to 45k from memory). I don't know why they didn't just make it for every car, not just cars bought after whatever date it was. Imagine having two people at the counter, one with a car that is under the deal one that isnt. Same service, one pays $289, the other pays nearly double.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I get mine changed a 30k but a m8 did 180k sold his ford focus diesel never changed filter car ran good got a new focus

I would not risk it, the job is easy I watch my mechanic do it he charged same for service every time did not matter if filter changed or not, I supplied filter ( genuine from hy spares ) but this time hy will do it so will see

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Today I was quoted $135 (including tax) for an FD i30 CRDi fuel filter, genuine Hyundai part.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quick search on Ebay reveals $59.50 delivered....

Which is expensive from my recollection, I keep an eye out once I have done the minor service.

If you do a search in the ebay section you might get an idea of price...

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Today I was quoted $135 (including tax) for an FD i30 CRDi fuel filter, genuine Hyundai part.

If you don't want to bother with Ebay, try your local Kia parts department .. The Kia Soul uses the same filter (same part # too from memory) last time I checked was much cheaper.. :happydance:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Romen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ashford, South Australia
Does renewing the diesel filter do much for fuel efficiency? Even though the service book is all ticked and filled out, I'm actually not sure if it's been replaced. Car has done 107,000km.

I mean, the service book claims the auto trans was done at 90k, but it wasn't. I did a complete flush myself at 105k upon checking the fluids. Wasn't very good at all!
  • i30cw 2011 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If in doubt, replace the filter, but who is doing your servicing. If you've been charged for a filter and the time to replace it, then you're clearly being ripped off. If it was done before you purchased it, I would have it replaced just to be certain. The diesel filter most likely wont affect your fuel efficiency. If it is dirty, fuel flow can be affected which would cause low power or cut out of the engine entirely.

Offline Romen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ashford, South Australia
If in doubt, replace the filter, but who is doing your servicing. If you've been charged for a filter and the time to replace it, then you're clearly being ripped off. If it was done before you purchased it, I would have it replaced just to be certain. The diesel filter most likely wont affect your fuel efficiency. If it is dirty, fuel flow can be affected which would cause low power or cut out of the engine entirely.

I would not have thought so.

Was meant to have been done before I got the car. Can't really verify any evidence it has been done, so I think I'll do it myself. It's definitely not hard.

I do the servicing myself, keeping all receipts and records, and signing the book where required.
  • i30cw 2011 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Here is an excellent link for Fuel filter replacement that may assist you. :goodjob2:

i30 CRDi diesel fuel filter replacement - instroe

Offline Romen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ashford, South Australia
Thanks, been looking at that site for a while. :) Very handy.
  • i30cw 2011 CRDi

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
just thought i'd point out, a set of new injectors cost around $5,000, that's why i change fuel filter @ 30,000k & know others with other brands of diesel's that change @ 20,000k but there filters only cost $20, i know Hyundai charge like a wounded bull for there filters, but you can buy heaps for $5,000. so i'll play it safe till warranty is out.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
just thought i'd point out, a set of new injectors cost around $5,000, that's why i change fuel filter @ 30,000k & know others with other brands of diesel's that change @ 20,000k but there filters only cost $20, i know Hyundai charge like a wounded bull for there filters, but you can buy heaps for $5,000. so i'll play it safe till warranty is out.

Fuel filters a lot cheaper from Ebay John!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
Here is an excellent link for Fuel filter replacement that may assist you. :goodjob2:

i30 CRDi diesel fuel filter replacement - instroe

I can't get that to load. Just me?
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Google have stuffed up apparently, however member Instroe has kindly provided the file for me, so here is a link to the package.

Microsoft SkyDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Web

:thanx: Instroe.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
Fantastic, thanks Phil.  And of course a big thank you to instroe for making the guide  :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:33:54 by Phil №❶ »
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
Just changed the filter, took a little longer than I was hoping due to spending 30 mins looking for my deep 12mm socket and then dropping said 12mm socket into the engine bay  :head_butt: so had to take the bottom plastic tray off.

Access really is tighter than a ducks arse, but following the guide is easy - cheers, instroe.

My car had cut out whilst driving (twice) one day last week (both within a mile), and done it again a couple of days ago.  No faults logged so garage suggested filter.  I bought the Genuine Hyundai filter for £25.

Hopefully it was indeed the filter at fault, the diesel from the used filter certainly had a bit of debris in it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 18:48:53 by Phil №❶ »
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal