i30 Owners Club

Diesel fuel filter internals

Guest · 39 · 12130

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can you identify the debris at all. Normally there should be no hint of contaminant at all. If it's black organic stuff, you may need some Diesel bug treatment, or your problem mayl simply return.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
Organic? How would you tell? Got rid now, but it looked like tiny bits of black grit/dust.

It all settled to the bottom of container, wasn't suspended or anything.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Organic, as in soft and breakable, or inorganic is it metallic or gritty. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there. This is a potentially serious situation. The common rail Diesel has a specialized fuel pump that feeds the injectors. Pressures in the common rail can reach 23,000 yes that's right, 23,000 psi when injecting into cylinders. To do that, the pump operates with extremely fine tolerances between moving parts. Any "grit" getting into the pump or injectors will certainly cause damage. That filter is the last line of defence for the pump and injectors. Did the material look like small rust flakes at all.

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
Hmmn.. Wish I hadn't just chucked it now!

Could have been really small bits of rust I suppose?

I just assumed the filter was doing its job and thought no more about it.

Should I maybe look at changing again after a thousand miles or so and pay more attention?
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
When there is contamination in the fuel tank, a flush out is required. From Hyundai, this costs about $300. Not cheap but necessary if you get Diesel bug. However, there is an inspection hole for the fuel tank located under the rear seat. If it were mine, I would drive the car till the tank was nearly empty, the open the tank and see if you can use a good torch, (don't drop it) and check out what's in there.

You may not have any Diesel bug, but if water has collected at the bottom of the tank, it will eventually start to rust. If you're not confident to go messing in this area, perhaps a local mechanic can do it for you. This is not something I've done personally, so can't advise on the difficulty, although, if you can change the filter I think you could do this too.

Offline ToMoCo

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Bannockburn, Stirling
Thanks. I'll have a look under the seat . then decide if I'll take it further myself
  • i30 1.6 CRDi (2011)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Here's a print out of fuel tank removal, which you don't need to do.

Microsoft SkyDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Web

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Organic, as in soft and breakable, or inorganic is it metallic or gritty. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there. This is a potentially serious situation. The common rail Diesel has a specialized fuel pump that feeds the injectors. Pressures in the common rail can reach 23,000 yes that's right, 23,000 psi when injecting into cylinders. To do that, the pump operates with extremely fine tolerances between moving parts. Any "grit" getting into the pump or injectors will certainly cause damage. That filter is the last line of defence for the pump and injectors. Did the material look like small rust flakes at all.

That's extremely high pressure Phil , are they still using springs in the common rail diesel injectors? ( i've never looked, but have looked at petrol injectors.

if your going to look into your tank via under the seat id give the floor a good vacuum & clean out first.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal