i30 Owners Club

Diesel Algae

ttc · 4 · 2104

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
I'm just putting this post up because not everyone might have seen my other post about it.

This is what diesel algae looks like.
We had a i30 diesel for 4 years and never had any problems, but different story when I had my diesel accent.
Car starting chugging on acceleration a bit, I didn't have any idea what it was, and it progressively got worse until one day on the way to work it actually stopped on me doing 100 on the motorway.
It restarted, so we took it to the mechanics the next day, and it was the algae. I had never heard of it, and the mechanic said it happened, usually to buying fuel that wasn't rotated enough. I had bought my fuel always from the woolies near me, but there was no point in contacting them as they wouldn't want to know about it.
It cost me $300 to get the fuel tank dropped, cleaned out and filters replaced.
Now I always use Chem tech which is a diesel additive to stop this, and I always ask the servo I go to how much diesel do they sell.
Car was never quite the same, used to still chug a little bit every now and then, and started making a strange *coo* noise in the back from it when I turned it off. Nobody had any idea what that was, including the mechanics or me. I didn't want to spend any more money on it, so that's when i traded it for the i30.
Just be aware, if your car chugs, get some additive in it, or even better use it all the time.
I wish I'd known about it before it happened.
  • 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :agreed:

Prevention is better than cure and a lot cheaper than $300 to clean your tank, no matter what Diesel additive you use.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Diesel algae seems to be a regular problem in Australia. Probably the result of the high average temperatures you enjoy.

I am therefore surprised that a fuel brand has not used the problem as a marketing tool by adding anti-bug chemicals themselves and making it an advertising feature. It would cost them fractions of a cent per litre to do it and would surely attract a lot of business.

(Perhaps someone has already done this and I am blowing smoke)
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hence the reason I only ever buy my fuel from well known Truck stops,with very high Diesel turnover,even in Metro areas there are plenty of Truck stops,doesn't have to be a fully blown truck stop where you see hundreds of big rigs,plenty of popular truck stops for the smaller courier style trucks.

ttc noticed you at Bowns Plains, pretty sure that's where the Brother lives.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal