i30 Owners Club

Bit More Than a Little bit Pissed

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Along with all the other crap I have had to deal with today,recently Sue had taken Bruce in for his 90K service(like last Monday)since then he has done only around our local little town,about forty kilometres,Sue had said she did notice a pool of oil under him the other day,I just though yeah she's seeing things,on getting him out of the shed this morning,I did notice the oil Sue mentioned,on feeling it,I knew it wasn't motor oil,but felt like gear oil.

I rang the garage and spoke to the owner,told him the problem and he said this was unusual for his mechanic,to spill oil and not clean it up,so after a lot of tooing and froing,I said I had to use the car,he convinced me to have a good look before going to a neighboring town,well guess what I found once I had Bruce up on ramps,removed the splash pan and done some investigating,yes oil everywhere and a very loose gearbox filler plug,with the pressure of the gearbox in what little kilometres he had done was forcing the oil out of the loose filler plug.

To say I was shat off would be an understatement,so I rang the garage owner back and told him what I had found,there was another fairly lengthy discussion,in my normal diplomatic manner,so sometime over this weekend I have to find time to recheck the gear oil,get my pressure cleaner out clean all the oil off the bottom of the motor and splash guard then get to put it all back together,so yes garages can make mistakes and this could possibly have been an expensive one,if the oil on the floor wasn't seen.

Yes he did offer to rectify the problems,but in my very calm diplomatic manner,I said I would take care of it,so I knew the job was done properly,not happy Jan
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Unlucky mate, but how spooky. One of the advisories on my MOT said there was oil seeping from the gearbox drain plug. Weird eh?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Unlucky mate, but how spooky. One of the advisories on my MOT said there was oil seeping from the gearbox drain plug. Weird eh?
:lol: wish mine was only seeping,what I can't understand,is why neither the fill plug nor the drain plug has or ever has had some sort of sealing washer,Oh! yes after talking to my mechanical shop,I rang Hyundai service centre I used to use,to ask and check whether these two bolts should have sealing washers.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I fitted new copper ones to all the plugs and stoppers on mine.
Makes sense, I got a big box of various sized ones from the internet for £4!
This way they don't need to be as tight as they were!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I fitted new copper ones to all the plugs and stoppers on mine.
Makes sense, I got a big box of various sized ones from the internet for £4!
This way they don't need to be as tight as they were!
Yes I think I'll be doing the same Keith

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
What a bummer  :disapp:

Lucky you found out before it run dry..  :eek:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What a bummer  :disapp:

Lucky you found out before it run dry..  :eek:

:whsaid:

So you were Diplomatic like Scott McLaughlin yesterday  :lol:

2014 V8 Supercars - Adelaide - Race 2 - Scott McLaughlin Interview - YouTube

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well spotted, Sue.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Bad luck, Rick-p at least no harm done to Brucey.  :Pout:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
 :goodjob2: all good,got underneath him this morning,topped up what little oil needed to be put back in,pressure clean the whole of the underside of Bruce.plus a quick squirt around under the bonnet and the splash plate,got him all back together,yes all good again  :goodjob:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
MANY years ago someone I knew had a first generation Chrysler Sigma.  Apparently they drained the gearbox oil at the first service and didn't put any back in.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Reminds me of my mate changing the oil in his Renault 10S in his driveway many years ago.
Drained the oil, got the catch tray out of the way and started refilling the engine - until our bare feet noticed oil running between our toes.

Drain plug!
Note to mate.

Replace BEFORE refilling sump.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Reminds me of my mate changing the oil in his Renault 10S in his driveway many years ago.
Drained the oil, got the catch tray out of the way and started refilling the engine - until our bare feet noticed oil running between our toes.

Drain plug!
Note to mate.

Replace BEFORE refilling sump.

That's not as silly as it sounds.I've done that a few times,got distracted and forgot to put the drain plug back in.the worse thing is,is when you realize  what is going on and you only have enough oils for the refill,that's why I'll always have a backup car.  :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you have any trouble topping it up? I seem to remember there being some concerns on the forum as to the accessibility of the fill port.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Did you have any trouble topping it up? I seem to remember there being some concerns on the forum as to the accessibility of the fill port.

Piece of piss Steve/correct diameter of plastic tubing a small funnel,feed it down throw the engine bay.just pour in the oil,takes a little while to run down so you need one of the seal-able kitchen funnels,plus not having drained the complete gearbox,I was unsure how much had come out,so I had to have a drip tray under the car as well,but that got the job done.
I've gotten pretty adapt to getting heavier oils into awkward spaces  :goodjob2:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Have to add it would be easier if I had and oil syringe,or small oil pump,but hey I'm a tight-ass and Sue already had the kitchen funnel and I already had the tubing in the shed,only problem with this Sue hasn't noticed the funnel has immigrated to my workshop yet,so when she asks sometime down the track,I'll have plausible deniability.  :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sue hasn't noticed the funnel has immigrated to my workshop yet,so when she asks sometime down the track,I'll have plausible deniability.

I'm sure you will smooth talk her with your usual charm and a bottle if plonk
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal