i30 Owners Club

those tuning boxes

Lakes · 18 · 5785

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi all, well first off i'm not against anything that makes a motor perform better.
just here in NSW Australia we had a Horror Accident involving a B Double Truck & a Ford Mondeo Car. this was around Xmas time. the B double was most probably exceeding speed limit and got out of control crossed the bush covered nature strip that devides hume hwy  south of Sydney, anyway the truck killed all occupants of the car ( a gent in his 50's & his 80 year old parents ) very sad & makes you think how vunerable we all are.
well they have been checking all the trucks from that truck company thats involved, the trucks have speed limiters and they had been tampered with, but the thing that caught my attention is they also said 8 of the trucks from that transport company had been Illegally modified to use more fuel, this is what that tuning box does, as a diesel is controled by the amount of fuel injected in, a petrol is controled by the amount of air . just thought i'd post this. as it might not only effect warranty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting John.. I saw the report about the big raid on Lennon's Transport  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
if only they went through every trucking company like that, i think they would find tampered boxes would be the norm, and not the exception.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

if only they went through every trucking company like that, i think they would find tampered boxes would be the norm, and not the exception.

If there's one thing I hate it's tampered boxes  :whistler:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Xamaxy, like Dazz said we both changed the pipe on our i30 CRDi ( my old car ) but all we did was change the muffler to sports , larger diamiter and larger diamiter tail pipe, we left the Cat there stock & no other changes. I would expect if we did full system it would cut down temps for sure, as just stands to reason. also if we combined the exhast with tuning i'm sure the gain in performance would be noticible.
But just how it is here in Australia big or large country with a small population about the same amount of people as the North American state of Texas with a country the size of north America. i don't think we make much difference to world air quality. but what would i know. cheers

Ultralights, i'm sure you are right. i don't like the threat of Trucks that size speeding & out of control, but i also hate being held up by a slow truck. so i don't know the answer, but we need improved roads for sure.

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
The RTA and my insurer are fine with my tuning box, Hyundai maybe not so much

I've wavered about the performance improvement
I left if off after a service for a few weeks, and was still happy with performance
put it back on and went Whoa, it's staying on now

getting 5.5 with 66% rural, good enough
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I don't get to drive it enough to tell yet but it seems so far so good. Is that ECO figure as reported by the computer or your own real calculation. Last time I filled, there seemed to be a discrepancy between computed and actual, Dazz blamed the box. Haven't filled to prove one way or another.

BTW Happy Birthday.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's not really his birthday quite yet...  :whistler: (he used a bit of poetic licence...) No wonder he is hiding behind his girl  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Are you saying the calendar is incorrect  :question:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Are you saying the calendar is incorrect  :question:

I'm saying I have it on good Authority he bent the truth slightly  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Inside information eh, that's not fair  :disapp:

Xamaxy
Xamaxy, like Dazz said we both changed the pipe on our i30 CRDi ( my old car ) but all we did was change the muffler to sports , larger diamiter and larger diamiter tail pipe, we left the Cat there stock & no other changes. I would expect if we did full system it would cut down temps for sure, as just stands to reason. also if we combined the exhast with tuning i'm sure the gain in performance would be noticible.
But just how it is here in Australia big or large country with a small population about the same amount of people as the North American state of Texas with a country the size of north America. i don't think we make much difference to world air quality. but what would i know. cheers

All true.

"...had been Illegally modified to use more fuel, this is what that tuning box does, as a diesel is controled by the amount of fuel injected in..."

I need to say it again, my understanding is that tuning boxes dont increase fueling, they increase fuel pressure! Higher pressure = better/complete combustion, higher exhaust temps, cleaner exhaust-my easy passing eco test etc
Increased fuel would by any mean worsen economy which is not the case. Let say that atleast it stays the same. (calling someones wife fat cow wouldnt cause that much argument as would someones saying "i have better economy" :rofl: :rofl:)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

(calling someones wife fat cow wouldnt cause that much argument as would someones saying "i have better economy" :rofl: :rofl:)

:rofl: Probably best not to try it though  :Shocked:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The RTA and my insurer are fine with my tuning box, Hyundai maybe not so much

I've wavered about the performance improvement
I left if off after a service for a few weeks, and was still happy with performance
put it back on and went Whoa, it's staying on now

getting 5.5 with 66% rural, good enough
Thats good to hear m8, did you ever get to a dyno to test the gain?
where do you notice improvement the most?
also how many K's have you got up now? i'm on 19,500k, i have not been driving it as much as have started to enjoy riding my Harley again.
not one prob here. i like the 6 speed CRDi a lot better now than the 5speed as motor pulls smoother.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Xamaxy  :rofl: not nice.
i agree higher pressure cause fuel to atomize better so it can burn more compleat. but a diesel is a full bore of air & the amount of fuel injected controls engine speed. more fuel in a diesel increases temps.
i'm just compairing diesel to petrol as some peaple think they can use same idea's they tried on petrol motors, on a diesel.
with a petrol you have control of the amount of air, more air faster engine speed, but with a petrol leaner mixture will increase engine temps & could possibly cause damage if too lean, where with a diesel if they run too rich they run hotter. ( at least this is what i'm lead to beleave i only know how to tune a petrol motor. i just drive diesel's. but i have seen through years of testing, how increasing performance does not mean you will use more fuel, in most cases you use less, infact i've seen motors tuned very lean that used more fuel than motors tuned to run better, also weight and gear ratio's all play a small part.
cheers

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. Most of the tuning boxes as mentioned previously increase fuel pressure. This is fine to a certain extent, but to really improve the situation you need to adjust timing as well.

An example of this is putting on a modified exhaust. It will certainly increase performance if it's a well built system, but if you don't modify fueling and intake, then it's only half the solution. This is really just simple mechanical engineering. More in, more out. Half in, half out. etc etc...

I fitted a chip a few weeks back, and all is good. Popped it on a mates Dyno one night to so have a look and a definite 12kws improvement. So far, I get much the same litres/100 consumption.

I also have a turbo intercept and have adjusted the turbo pressure up a few psi. All good.

I've also run some pretty fancy diagnostics via my mechanic mate and he seems to think nothing is out of order. As I'm not looking to keep the car beyond 150, 000 kms, I'm not worried about longevity.

I wouldn't get Hyundai to service my vehicle if you paid me double. They over-charge and their workmanship is questionable, but that's just my opinion, which may upset a few. Anyway they are never going to see my vehicle or the mods. (A risk I'm willing to take) Thus waranty is my risk.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 19:07:33 by AKAdventure »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal