Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Huh it doesn't look nice, but I had similar experiences with Hankook tires. I've had them on Elantra and the first Accent and happened exactly the same. After period of 2-3 years they started to crack and became very hard, so the driving in wet conditions wasn't as safe as before - many times you couldn't normally start (drive off), because the tires didn't have any grip. It was very dangerous when you had to drive off suddenly, because you just couldn't..the wheels just kept turning..

I would consider changing them.. Using warranty or buying them yourself..

Maybe that's not the case with your tires, I'm just explaining my experiences with "cracking" and stuff.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I'm also not convinced that geometry is out, you will always get a difference across the width of the tyre (which will be a different difference (now I'm confused!) to the wheel at the other side due to the camber of the road.  This is why we are supposed to rotate to even up the wear.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
Hi Bumpkin,

Road camber isn't a causal effect here, but the suspension geometry and wheel alignment on the car is . And as pointed out by others the age of the tyres contributing to the cracking.

The i30 set up is with negative camber front and rear, so this means the tyres tilt in at the top, ( like this /     \ from in front or behind), and this puts more pressure on the inside of each tyre. Add to this the incorrect toe, either to much positive or negative and this will cause further wear to the inside of each tyre (from above, toe in /  \, toe out \   /, neutral |  | ). The reason for rotating is because the fronts will wear quicker than the rears, as they are carrying the weight of the engine, in a front wheel drive car they are responsible for transferring power to the road and also the steering, the rears just support the weight of the back of the car. Additionally, the outer edge on the fronts can wear due to cornering. With neutral geometry the rears should wear uniformly across their entire width, but as the i30 has a small amount of negative camber, will wear the inner edge slightly more. To balance this wear the tyres would need swapping side to side, off the rim, but even with asymmetric tyres this is not always possible as the tyres can have an outside and an inside marked on them.

I am not able to rotate the tyres on mine due to having a directional tread pattern, so can only swap front to rear to balance the wear, without having to take the tyres off the rims, which I try and get done every 6000 miles or so. Currently my rear tyres have approx 3mm tread left on the inner edges and 5mm on the outer edges, these tyres have now done 12000 miles, the last 1000 miles on the rear, the previous 5500 miles on the front. I have the lowering spings so have greater negative camber all round than a car on stock springs, so the wear to the inside is more noticable. I also get the alignment checked as well, and the the wheels are normally reset so they have a neutral toe, but as the camber is not adjustable I have to put up with the inner edge wearing prematurely to the rest of the tyre. Sometimes adjustment to the toe is required because of the shock transmitted to the suspension from the poor quality roads here in the UK.

Mark

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Called into an independant tyre service today.

They checked all tyres and basically said they were a mid range tyres - the best of that price range.

Tracking OK and wear was uniform across all the tyre(s).

Cracking was not a bit issue but said they looked more like a 5 year old tyre.

I'm still going to replace, for peace of mind especially as here in UK we are going into winter months soon - not that you would have noticed any difference between last winter/spring/summer and request the tyre manufacture for a FULL reimbursement.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
very interesting,5 years. :exclaim: :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

UPDATE

Got my 4 new tyres today.

Had to buy the same brand/type etc to comply with the terms of the tyre warranty.

The garage will send them off to Hanook for testing and hopefully a "FULL" refund.

Noticed that the new tyres are embossed - MADE IN HUNGARY.
The originals - MADE IN KOREA.

I'll be keeping an eye(30) on these and checking the tread area regularly.

Fingers crossed for a FULL refund!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee a full refund would be brill.. good luck!!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
UPDATE

Had to buy the same brand/type etc to comply with the terms of the tyre warranty.

The garage will send them off to Hanook for testing and hopefully a "FULL" refund.

I would ring the BBC WatchDog team. They seem to like car features and usually get a good response to problems.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

UPDATE

I would ring the BBC WatchDog team. They seem to like car features and usually get a good response to problems.

Watch tonight and see if I get thro'

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
They are too busy talking about how bad BMW alloy wheels are.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

They are too busy talking about how bad BMW alloy wheels are.

Yes I watched.

Just been outside to check my alloy's - They are OK

Now I wonder if they will say something similar that it's due to the state of our roads?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Only had the new tyres 9 days and 1 has already been in for repair. 

3 inch screw had gone through the tyre in between the new deep tread. 
Fortunately it has been repaired with a "mushroom" type plug/patch.

Now the chap said that if I still had the old tyres this wouldn't have happened as the screw wouldn't have got "jammed" in the tread.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

... if I still had the old tyres this wouldn't have happened ...

Classic example of Murphy's law mate :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Exactly same happened to my OH's car day before yesterday, they were only 6 days old. Tenner to fix.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Exactly same happened to my OH's car day before yesterday, they were only 6 days old. Tenner to fix.

Snap. £10 all in

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unlucky about the damaged Tyre eye... :'(

Any news about your refund yet?  :D

Offline Dirtboy_aus

• 2nd Gear
sorry to hear about the quick wear and tear with the cracks
i work for a workshop that does tyres here in Australia and what you read and posted about the week and year is correct, and you said about the tyres being made in a different country it will be interesting to see how they last.
Here the local car company's were using bridgestone RE92 from factory and people would get like 50,000 to 60,000ks from them then replace them with the same and only get 30,000 to 40,000ks turns out the factory fitted one are made slightly different and are actually harder.

anyway Cheers
Brandon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Any news about your refund yet? 

Not yet but I understand the tyres have been returned for examination. 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Update - Still no reply from the tyre manufacture.

Will be getting in touch with the dealer during the next few days to see how long it takes to test etc.

But in the meantime I noticed from day 1 that the car tended to steer to the left (RHD UK ). Initially I put it down to the camber of the road. Prior to replacing the car went in straight line.

Had tracking checked etc. Nothing needed altering.  Anyway today while surfing the net I came across a posting on a tyre site which said to swop tyres from left to right.

Has anyone done this and found the car does not steer left but moves in a straight line with little or no steer to left/right?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'd be jumping up and down by now ... over 2 months is a long time to wait! :twisted:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Update - Still no reply from the tyre manufacture.

Will be getting in touch with the dealer during the next few days to see how long it takes to test etc.

But in the meantime I noticed from day 1 that the car tended to steer to the left (RHD UK ). Initially I put it down to the camber of the road. Prior to replacing the car went in straight line.

Had tracking checked etc. Nothing needed altering.  Anyway today while surfing the net I came across a posting on a tyre site which said to swop tyres from left to right.

Has anyone done this and found the car does not steer left but moves in a straight line with little or no steer to left/right?
You've been got at in a big way.
I just found this topic.
Regardless of what anyone else may have said, were they Dunlop, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama and several others, at least in Australia, those tyres would have been replaced on the spot, with minimum hassle to you. Although you are supposed to pay for fitting, balancing etc, almost no one would have charged you for it if a reputable dealer.
Those cracks are NOT cosmetic.
They indicate a serious problem with either the tread rubber curing process or top belt issues.
Pro rata payment is normal and fair enough really.
I can't beleive they've got to send the tyres away for assessment. Again, at least in Australia, the dealer should have enough knowledge to be able to make a decision on the spot and he should have enough of a relationship with the tyre manufacturer / distributor to be able to do so.
Ask them for a phone contact at Hankook in Britain and ring them. Or look them up in the phone book or on the web.
Please keep us posted.
Interesting set of circumstances.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

i'm surprised they did not show the date, all tyres have date of manufacture on them ( cast in the mold )

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

i'm surprised they did not show the date, all tyres have date of manufacture on them ( cast in the mold )

The "5 years" was what the dealers siad they look like but the date coding (quoted in an earlier posting but copied below):

According to the DOT code the date is showing as 2607 i.e. week 26 year 2007 so they were only 3 months old when I bought my car, assuming week 1 is first week in January.

So just over 2 years old!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal