i30 Owners Club

Is my ESP working?

Guest · 21 · 5443

guest571
I have been driving round on very icy roads for the past couple of weeks, and found ESP to be absolutely useless. The ESP light flickers occasionally while the wheels are spinning.

After slowly sliding backwards down a hill with the wheels spinning I was wondering what it was supposed to do.

I found one posting which said it stops wheelspin, and several which supposedly pointed to a video of ESP working which I could not find.

It is just about due for its first service, and I was planning to ask the dealer about my ESP.

Should I just say it is not working, and want it fixed?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
From Wikipedia:

Electronic stability Programme (ESP) also known as Electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized technology that improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids.
When ESC detects loss of steering control, ESC automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go.
Braking is automatically applied to individual wheels, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer, or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer.
Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained.
Electronic stability control does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; rather it helps to minimize a loss of control.

Link to a vid:

Although ESP doesn't stop the wheels spinning if you give to much right foot, I have found the ESP enabled better traction in the ice, slush and new snow.  

I found by moving off in 2nd no wheel spin was produced.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Didn't stop my wheels spinning either last week. There's not a lot you can do to counteract the laws of physics when the road is icy.

I'm sure the dealer would have a look and make sure its calibrated correctly, but my bet is they'll find no fault.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my i30 has esp and traction control. welcome melluish.   :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Melluish and welcome to the club.. I don't have ESP.. so I can't comment..(but we seldom get Ice on the road either)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
traction control stops wheel spin,stability control helps to stop you going sideways.

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
I have been driving round on very icy roads for the past couple of weeks, and found ESP to be absolutely useless. The ESP light flickers occasionally while the wheels are spinning.

After slowly sliding backwards down a hill with the wheels spinning I was wondering what it was supposed to do.

If you see the ESP light flashing, it is a warning that the ESP system is not able to recover the grip onto the road any more and you really should back off a bit.

As eye30 points out, the ESP is for controlling oversteering and understeering stability. The thing that reduces the wheel spinning during acceleration is called TCS (Traction Control System) and usually works in conjunction with ESP.

TCS will reduce wheel spinning by activating brakes and limiting engine power. TCS activates only upon wheel spin, so you will have the wheels spinning but they spin a lot less than without ESP/TCS.

It is not a good idea to let wheels spin more than few seconds with ESP/TCS on. Constant wheelspin will make the brakes overheated, which evidently will lead to many consequences.

So, if you are crawling in deep snow or otherwise cannot get grip whilst accelerating your vehicle, it is better to switch ESP/TCS off until your car moves on without significant wheelspin and then switch the ESP back on. That's what we do here in Finland where we have lots of snow and ice in winter and only some in summer...

Your ESP is probably OK, it wont make the roads any better, it just tries to fix your mistakes in driving.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
well put.  :razz:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Newer (Czech built) models of the i30 don't have an ESP on/off button (at least not on the lower models I have seen) but I can confrim that having switched mine off in the past that the car definitely benefits from the system and having now driven mine through two Winters (with ESP firmly on) that the system is brilliant.

It cannot however enable a vehicle to grip on sheet ice, having come from a decade of permanent four wheel drive Imprezas, I can also confirm that they can't cope with ice either.

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
im glad to say ive never driven in ice or snow. :razz:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Newer (Czech built) models of the i30 don't have an ESP on/off button (at least not on the lower models I have seen)

Mine has the button. I've used it this week.

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!

Without wishing to appear in anyway patronising, what condition are your tyres in?
A female work colleague was complaining about her car being almost undriveable in the snowy slush, on closer inspection, the tyres looked like racing slicks.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
ive seen that before.  :rolleyes:

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!
Newer (Czech built) models of the i30 don't have an ESP on/off button (at least not on the lower models I have seen)

Mine has the button. I've used it this week.

So does mine and I have left it well alone as the default setting is "on"

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If you get stuck in snow (stoodstill) you need to turn it off  :eek:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I did say that the lower models didn't have the switch, a couple of folks at work have bought the base models and they don't have switchable ESP, that must only be on Style and Premium models.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I did say that the lower models didn't have the switch, a couple of folks at work have bought the base models and they don't have switchable ESP, that must only be on Style and Premium models.

Sorry, wasn't trying to contradict you, just confirming it has been on the style. Maybe its just on premium now.

guest571
Tyres are part worn after 12500 miles - certainly not bald.

Am I getting confused between traction control and ESP? I think I was assuming ESP included traction control.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I can confrim that having switched mine off in the past that the car definitely benefits from the system and having now driven mine through two Winters (with ESP firmly on) that the system is brilliant.

I concure with Bumpkin.

I was driving "normally" albeit a bit slower than normal and other cars, presumably without ESP/traction control, were "all over the place".

You still have to be aware of and take account of the conditions and drive accordingly but I for one would say that ESP is one of, if not the best, aids have on the car.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
Am I getting confused between traction control and ESP? I think I was assuming ESP included traction control.

Most cars have only one common switch for ESP and TCS - in that sense TCS is included in ESP, but as said earlier their function and logics are different. What I would like is to occasionally switch TCS off and keep ESP on.

Some fancy driving sideways, but it would be almost impossible to do the drifting maneuvers with ESP and TCS switched on. I guess the single-switch solution is handy when you want to switch off all control affecting your driving.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
From the i30 brochure

ESP
Integrating both ABS and a Traction Control System, the Electronic Stability Programme assists and enhances braking and handling performance.

ABS with EBD and Traction Control System
The i30 is fitted with state of the art 4 channel ABS as standard and combined with EBA for increased stopping power.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal