i30 Owners Club

ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've been reading up a bit on this, including an article I found (which is also mentioned in another thread on here) at this link.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110661/article.html?popularArticle
I've relisted the link for any newer members like me who may be just discovering electric power steering for the first time.
I have a query. The above article lists two major benefits of leaving behind all the hydraulic bits.
The first is better fuel economy, which I understand.
The second is no loss of power steering if the motor cuts out. Which I also understand.
But in my car, unless the motor is running, there's no power steering. You can hardly turn the wheel.
Can one of you highly technical people out there explain this more to me.
I've also used the term "electronic" in the topic heading, although the article says "electric". I believe "electronic" is more accurate given that it is controlled by the car's computer.
ps. Note to mods. I have no idea how this got into "Diesel Problems and Issues". I intended it for "Technical".
I have never even opened the Diesel topic as I donlt have a diesel. Could you please re-locate for me? Many thanks
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i cant turn the steering wheel if the motors not running also. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fixed it surferdude  :D

I had to try and steer my car when it was towed from the servo to the service centre to have the unleaded removed  :-[ and it sure was a struggle to steer.. I had the ignition turned on enough to unlock the wheel so the ignition was engaged but it made no difference...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I have a query. The above article lists two major benefits of leaving behind all the hydraulic bits.
The first is better fuel economy, which I understand.
The second is no loss of power steering if the motor cuts out. Which I also understand.
But in my car, unless the motor is running, there's no power steering. You can hardly turn the wheel.

I had an Astra Coupe, the power steering failed and it was almost impossible to turn the steering wheel. I was fortunate that I has just turned into my drive when it happened. Taking the car to get it fixed was very difficult, could only drive at about 15MPH because of this.  Hydraulic systems become very heavy but you can drive them.

If you had a failure on electric system you would crash if going anything over 15-20MPH and not on a straight road. The effort to turn the steering wheel would take you by surprise.  The Vauxhall dealer repaired my Astra, but there was no paper work to sign or anything to say it had been repaired. It was like a cover-up. Can only presume that Vauxhall know how much danger you are in if they fail, and what that could lead to if taken to court.

(TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - AND NOT ON A PUBLIC HIGHWAY).
This may or could cause damage to the steering system, so I would not recommend it. Stop your car on a hill, turn off the engine, then start rolling and see just how hard it is to turn the steering wheel.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

This may or could cause damage to the steering system, so I would not recommend it. Stop your car on a hill, turn off the engine, then start rolling and see just how hard it is to turn the steering wheel.

You'll need muscles like &^%^&()(*^^&%&^ if you want to steer.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I've already tried this.
My query comes from the note on a variety of sites regarding the benefits of electronic steering where they say you don't lose your power steering if the engine stalls.
Specifically, can anyone explain why they keep saying it if it isn't so?
And someone has moved this topic again. It's not a problem. It's a technical query.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
And someone has moved this topic again. It's not a problem. It's a technical query.

The Technical Data section is more for listing & detailing proven data, specific to the i30 breed, whereas your query is closer to an "issue". Hope that's ok :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal