Accim's new beige i30CW

accim · 169 · 57876

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice pictures, accim. Those nightly - BTC and Kranj? :)

offtopic: Dazzler, Celje is indeed quite a nice small city and ancient too, dating back to the time before Romans (same as all major cities in Slovenia  :D).

We don't get the ancient bit here in OZ  :( Architecture only goes back to the early 1800's )
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Nice pictures, accim. Those nightly - BTC and Kranj? :)

offtopic: Dazzler, Celje is indeed quite a nice small city and ancient too, dating back to the time before Romans (same as all major cities in Slovenia  :D).

Yes, the night ones were taken in Ljubljana (BTC) and Kranj (Supernova). How come you know Kranj that well? :) I never thought you'll know that. Okay Ljubljana..but Kranj and at night.. :D

And so I wouldn't be off-topic, here are 2 pics lol :D

And let me just comment the pedal once more. The "eco" gas pedal or as neoto said, the "kick-down switch".. If I don't push the pedal to the max, it seems like the car has only around 80% of it's power. But if I press it to the max (beyond that "eco" point) you can feel the additional kick. I'll try to film the speedometer once, when I accelerate on the highway. I think it should be noticeable. It's quite funny, but I'm not quite sure whether I like it or not :D I guess it's okay, as it prevents you from "flooring" it too often when not necessary.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 15:07:39 by accim »

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
accim, I know 'your' neighbourhood quite well (my GF is from Tržič, you know...  :D).

Anyway, the 90 HP model apparently lacks that 'pedal-to-the-metal' boost. I just can't notice any of it...  :blubber:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
neoto: Tržič is just few km away from me :D

Ok, last day I ordered new winter tires and today.. Well today they arrived. I went for the Continental WC (Winter Contact) TS830, dim 195/65/15. I was thinking about getting the 185 width again, but they are just sooo narrow..  :) According to the tests, they should be the best in that dimension (though I don't believe the tests 100%, but they can't be bad either..), so can't wait for the snow to test them out. Here are the pics of how they look:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
accim
My congratulation with your new tires  :goodjob2:
Mine are Bridgestone IceCruiser 5000 with metallic pins, are these type of snow tires allowed in your area?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
accim
My congratulation with your new tires  :goodjob2:
Mine are Bridgestone IceCruiser 5000 with metallic pins, are these type of snow tires allowed in your area?

Thank you! Those Bridgestone, you are talking about, must be GREAT in snow! No, we are not allowed to have those "pins"/"studs", though it would come handy every once in a while.

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Good choice  of brand  & tire size , but  the  195's will decrease  with 2.1% the  speedometer  & odometer indication .
( comparing  the  stock's 185/65/15  tyres with  195's ). It's also possible  to lower  your  dynamic performaces
( wheel diameter  and  sidewall increase )

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Good choice  of brand  & tire size , but  the  195's will decrease  with 2.1% the  speedometer  & odometer indication .
( comparing  the  stock's 185/65/15  tyres with  195's ). It's also possible  to lower  your  dynamic performaces
( wheel diameter  and  sidewall increase )

Stock dimension (summer tires) on my current i30 are 195/65/15, that is also why I went with the 195 for winter. On my previous i30, the stock tires were 185/65 and that is why I used 185 also for winter. They seemed ridiculously narrow on a CW to me also back then, but I still went with it. Btw, they look normal on hatchback i30.

Otherwise, allowed tires (from the book) for my i30CW (and probably all other) are:
185/65/15
195/65/15
205/55/16
225/45/17

Those 185 just stick out and seem wrong..however you look at it. All other dimensions are within 0,4% difference (considering 195 is stock tire), but the 185 are 2,0% or 2,1% as you've said it. Also, most cars in that class have 195-205-225 dimensions.

This is how 185 looked on my previous i30CW. It looks like everything is going to brake or as if I had 4 spare tires on..
check 1
check 2
check 3

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Continentals have been getting good reviews. You don't see them in Tassie much but selling well Australia wide apparently  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
alc2

What's with the 2.1% speed / odometer reference between 185 / 195, I don't understand :confused:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
alc2

What's with the 2.1% speed / odometer reference between 185 / 195, I don't understand :confused:

The overall diameter between the two is different. The 195 is higher so rotates more slowly.
621mm versus 634mm.
At 100kph the speedo will read at 97.95 kph on the 195 - assuming it is 100% accurate on the 185.
A 2.09% difference.
I have a simple Excel spreadsheet which I'll send to anyne who's interested.
Although there's probably a way to post it on here. I'll think about that later, unless someone else can volunteer the method in the meantime.

BTW. As far as I know, the Australian cars have all come with 195/65R15 as the basic standard.
They have another benefit., too. If you have hubcaps (wheelcovers), the sidewall of the 185 is inside the line of thehubcap so if you scrape the curb, you scrape the hubcap.
The 195s are ouside the line of the hubcap so it takes a pretty solid hit to distort the sidewall enough to damage the hubcap.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
surferdude

Thanks for that, I checked the web & now understand that the 2nd number is actually a % ratio, (or aspect ratio,) of the tyre width, I thought it was a fixed distance & that was what would create a rotational difference.

PS Aren't you supposed to be surfing right now?
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
surferdude

Thanks for that, I checked the web & now understand that the 2nd number is actually a % ratio, (or aspect ratio,) of the tyre width, I thought it was a fixed distance & that was what would create a rotational difference.

PS Aren't you supposed to be surfing right now?

Surfing happens at 5am for a couple of hours. Then home for breakfast.
Today we spent some time on Skype to our son, daughter-in-law and grandson in Canada.
Now I'm just filling in time till 11am (Qld Time).

PS. Yes, "series", "aspect ratio" or "profile" are all terms meaning the same thin.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Always happy to see something like this...

PS: I had to park my car like that, because of the car on the left (not the one on the pic, but the one that left and made me look like a fool later  :rolleyes: )

but not so keen about this..

Yap, the winter is coming  :wacko:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
accim
Zero degrees was it in that parking or outside?
Did you place a note with an invitation to this club under a wind screen wiper of that second car?  :wink:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
accim
Zero degrees was it in that parking or outside?
Did you place a note with an invitation to this club under a wind screen wiper of that second car?  :wink:

The pic of the temperature was taken today in the morning, not in that garage :) No, didn't leave any invitation  :-[

Offline Smartie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Great looking car, i like the indicator repeater on your side mirror. I don't think i have seen Australian spec models with them.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Great looking car, i like the indicator repeater on your side mirror. I don't think i have seen Australian spec models with them.

Thanks, but are you sure you haven't seen any Australian i30 with blinkers on the side mirrors? I think some of the users form Australia have them there... Actually I think most of them have it like that..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thanks, but are you sure you haven't seen any Australian i30 with blinkers on the side mirrors? I think some of the users form Australia have them there... Actually I think most of them have it like that..

I must admit I haven't paid that much attention to the new i30's on the road as to the side mirror indicators. I can confirm the new Accent has them because my sister-in-law has one. Certainly my 2009 i30 doesn't have them.

Also, I know what you mean about having to park to allow for some foll beside you. And as you say, when you return to your car, of course they're gone and someone has parked perfectly right beside you - probably thinking to themselves what a sh8tty parker you are. :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again Smartie .. The CW (Wagon) version comes with the indicators in the mirror body (Think it has since they were first released in OZ?) and some of our members have added that feature on the hatch. It is not an easy or particularly cheap mod but there are instructions on here somewhere.

Accim, That i30 next to yours is a nice colour too (they make a lovely couple)  :lol:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes they do look very nice together. Should get one more I guess  :rofl: They were basically the same, apart from the color and him having 15" alloys on. Same equipment and both were CRDi's. Just don't know if both were HP.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

but not so keen about this..

Yap, the winter is coming  :wacko:

A bit chilly.
We had 36.3 degrees in Perth today  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Did some test yesterday. Not the top speed, but the accuracy of speedometer. I was really amazed. It's very accurate, which I can't say for the previous cars. The tires are 195/65/15. When driving @50 km/h, the GPS is also showing 50 km/h or 49 km/h, @100 km/h it's also 99 or 100 km/h. Of course, I wanted to see what's the actual top speed of the car, according to GPS and here are the results:

Top - speedometer

Top - GPS

According to speedometer, it's around 195-196, right? Well the GPS was showing me 195 km/h at that time.
I remember, on my previous i30, when I had 185/65/15 tires on, it was between 4-7 km/h "off".

BTW: According to the book, top speed of 116hp engine should be 188 km/h, and 197 km/h for the 128hp engine. So I guess that is not correct, as even the 116hp engine, can reach around 197 km/h - according to the speedometer. When I was purchasing the car, I asked the dealer about the difference between the 116hp and 128hp engine (1.6 CRDi) and he said, that the performance of the both engines is the same (torque 260Nm, acceleration 11,6s...) and that the only difference is in top speed, which is not "limited" in 128hp version. Is that true? Because if it is, that one should go at least 205 km/h or more then. Even 116hp could reach 200 km/h if it wasn't limited. You can feel how the engine "cuts off" at 197 and you can also see it on BC -> instant fuel consumption goes down when it happens.

PS: Almost had an accident today on highway, but I was driving really normally, going around 130-140 km/h (according to regulations). I was overtaking some cars at that speed and all of the sudden, while I was passing this guy in SUV - Hyundai Galloper (I was just next to him), he decided he wants to overtake too. He turned right into me (well left, not right) and I managed to brake hard (the ABS "turned on") and went to the left, driving just inches away from the fence and somehow horned at that point.. He heard it, saw me and went back and it was okay. But it definitely was close. I must say, that handling of the i30 (braking really hard @140km/h) was superb. The car was not all over the place, even though I'm on 195/65/15 and don't have ESP. In the end, everything was okay, but I was a bit pi** off.. Not because he did that, but because I wasn't recording the trip - because of that rattle in the holder  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 19:24:29 by accim »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Who's a naughty boy then  :D 195Kph (instant loss of license over here) only done that speed and a bit more once about 18 years ago before speed cameras (at 1.30am in the morning.)

I think the newer i30's speedo is more accurate (long story) 

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
if i were driving in snow and ice fighting to stay in a straight line,i think that my speedo accuracy would be the least of my worries.  :Drive: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
only on the cw/wagon in oz.  :winker:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Oh no no. The road was quite empty (safe), the weather was great and no speed cameras there. And you might not believe it, but soon, after slowing down to 170-180 km/h I was passed by a guy in BMW 5 with much greater speed (at least 220-230 km/h). I read about the accuracy the other day in one of the tests of i30 MY2011 and had to test it. I was really amazed. Usually I would drive 55 km/h according to it in 50 km/h area, because I knew it's not that accurate, but I guess it is and should slow down a bit.

I'm planing on changing my oil and oil filter soon, maybe in a week or two - when I'll be taking it to the dealers to have the summer tires replaced with winter ones, although the dealer said, there's no need for oil change, till 30k km :confused:

Anyways, a lot of talking and no pictures from me, right? Here are few of them:

I would like to thank everyone who advised me to buy a new one. For now, I love the car, even though the old i30 was still okay and not so much different than this one. Btw about the previous i30.. The dealer sold it not so long ago. It was funny..two guys wanted to buy it and both gave some deposit for the car. One of them bought new i30 and the other my previous i30. From what I've heard (from the salesman), the guy (who bought it), is really pleased with the car so far - I'm sure he'll enjoy it as I really took care of it, it was serviced and it looked like new when I sold it ;)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All it needs is some sexy alloys  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
only done that speed and a bit more once about 18 years ago before speed cameras (at 1.30am in the morning.)

On your way home from the pub, double dinking on a pushbike, down hill, with a tail wind?  :lol:

• Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
All it needs is some sexy alloys  :whistler:

:whsaid: :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal