i30 Owners Club

Stutter @ 5000 RPM

blumf · 31 · 10884

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.
1.6 Petrol 126HP

I'm occasionally noticing a slight stutter in the engine just before 5000 RPM when accelerating hard (joining a fast road from standing for example). Having difficulty replicating it on demand at the moment, pretty hard find places to safely do this, but I have noticed it a few times now, always just before 5k RPM.

Could this be the ESP kicking in for a fraction of a second? (The stutter clears before I can glance at the dashboard)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
do they have variable cam timing... if so you MIGHT be able to just feel it activating... if you have driven a honda you will know the differnece in sound it makes

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Yeah that was another thought, don't think it's that though as there's no real change in engine characteristics.

(Had fun with a Honda Prelude once, not only the experience of a very nice VTEC engine kicking in and going up past 9k, but also the weirdness of 4-wheel steering)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Hi blumf,

I haven't driven a 1.6 petrol yet, but it sounds similar to the pause I've felt in 2.0 petrols that was discussed in this thread:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2004.0.html

Perhaps the 1.6 has it happen at different rpm to cater for the difference in stroke.

It certainly isn't as violent or noticeable as the change in a Honda VTEC engine, but it's there.  :cool:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

It's very unlikely to be the stability control unless your i30 has a LOT more power than the average one! My 2.0 would give a solid chirp of the front tyres when changing in to second under hard acceleration but it never woke the ESP up.  :wink:

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Is the 1.6 VVT or not? Some articles suggest it is, other that it isn't. There isn't much solid info on the Gamma engine out there as far as I can see.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
does the plastic cover on the top of the engine say, vvt.?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

I didn't know that the 1.6 was a Gamma engine - the 2.0 petrol is a Beta engine and I assumed it was just a smaller version of that. Every Gamma I've seen has VVT, but then I've never seen a 1.6...

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Both the 1.4 and 1.6 are CVVT Gamma engines.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It's very unlikely to be the stability control unless your i30 has a LOT more power than the average one! My 2.0 would give a solid chirp of the front tyres when changing in to second under hard acceleration but it never woke the ESP up.  :wink:

I agree, it is not the ESP, I have noticed a kick up on my 1.6 petrol at 4000rpm, can't say I have ever noticed any "stutter" though.

MRH, you would not be aware of the ESP being "woken up".  It constantly works in the background without you really knowing, the only time you are told anything byu it is when it is not coping and the light on the dash flashes to alert you to  back off.  Try turning the ESP off and then the chirp will be much more sustained :wink: :wink:

PS - And then bumpkin remembered that MRH now has a Getz, forget the last sentence :-[ :-[ :rolleyes:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

I have a 2010 1.6 Petrol (South Africa). I have also experienced that stutter at around 5000rpm. What i am confused about is hyundai.co.za says that the i30 is dual vvti ?? yet on the engine block cover it just says DOHC? Is there any way of me determining whether it is a VVTi engine or not??

The stutter does not feel like vvti at all. My wifes car is a 2010 Corrolla 1.6 advanced (dual vvti) and you can feel the vvti kicking in at high rpm and its nice.. this feels like you have taken your foot off the accelerator for a second...

I dunno, maybe i am imagining it, but its definitely sparked my interest now that i have seen someone else with a similar issue...  :confused:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
according to wiki,the Hyundai beta engines are vvct only on the inlet side of the cylinder head.   ???:confused:

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
oh alrighty then... so who can translate greek  :lol:

according to wiki,the Hyundai beta engines are vvct only on the inlet side of the cylinder head.   ???:confused:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i would have thought that an engine with variable valve cam timing would have it in both camshafts. but according to wikipedia,on the i30 1.4,1.6 and 2.0 petrol engines the variable camshaft is only the one closest to the inlet manifold side of the cylinder head. not both cams.

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
so how does one know if they have a beta or gamma engine and which of those are VVTi ?

sorry im horribly confused as the only information i have on my 1.6 Petrol is "DOHC"

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my cars are both 2.0petrol engines and both engines have dohc on the cover also,I'm not sure how you tell if its a Gama or Beta engine.  :confused:  I'm sure someone will give us the answer we need.  :idea: :razz:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
Thanks, printed a copy. I will check when i leave work today.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :goodjob:

It tells me that I have the 1.6 Gamma.

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
and the big question... is 1.6 Gamma vvti or not?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my cars according to the decoder are both beta engines. thanks guys.  :goodjob: :razz:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
See pages 18 to 22 in particular

http://www.engine-expo.com/forum_2009/pdfs/day2/5_sunghwan_cho.pdf
theta 2.0 only in that link,no beta engine lorian.  :confused:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I also get a slight stutter around the 5K mark in my 1.4 petrol. This is the second i30 1.4 petrol I've owned and both have done it  :eek:

May be the way the ecu is programmed for emissions/economy etc.

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
checked my VIN . i have a 1.6 petrol Gamma. Premium line Full blown Korea and RHD.. yep thats it. still no further in understanding if its VVTi engine or not

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I can't see any mention of "variable valve timing" in the tech specs for the 1.6 Gamma, but the figures might suggest it's variable on the intake, I'm no expert on valves and timing:

Intake valve opens ATDC 10°/BTDC 40° closes ABDC 63°/ABDC 13°

Exhaust valve opens BBDC 40° closes ATDC 3°

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply Lorian.

Just out of interest here is what the i30 e-brochure says from www.hyundai.co.za

"PERFORMANCE
A choice of two petrol power options, combined with manual transmission, means the i30 can meet virtually every preference. All petrol engines have 16v CVVT and variable inlet technology. The 1.6 liter engine
gives 89 kW and 153 Nm torque, while the range topping 2.0 liter offers 105 kW with 186 Nm torque."

not sure what CVVT is? but there is mention of variable inlet technology..

ps i love how hyundai south africa say "means the i30 can meet virtually every preference." erm.. actually no.. id like a diesel or a cw...thanks :)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Is it CWT or CVVT?  I suspect it is cvvt which is constant variable valve timing.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear

e-brochure definitely says c v v t :)

here is the link to the pdf

http://www.hyundai.co.za/act_GetDownload.cfm?intEditItemID=2550

Is it CWT or CVVT?  I suspect it is cvvt which is constant variable valve timing.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
So it is a 1.6 gamma v v t i :D
Solved!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal