i30 Owners Club

How much oil does it take to top up your i30 CRDi, 5 litres or 5.3 litres?

Guest · 12 · 9557

Steve Roe
I've drained and refilled my engine oil.
When replenishing it with a 5 litre bottle of oil, it came to within a hair of the full mark on the dipstick. This was great since it means that a single bottle of oil is required instead of buying two to top up the last 300 ml. I've seen another post on this site suggesting that 5 litres was all required in their car too. Can anyone else confirm that 5 litres appears to be sufficient?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have you taken the volume of the oil filter into consideration, perhaps that's where the difference is. :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Steve Roe
John
When I took the dipstick reading I had refilled with 5 litres, driven around the suburb, parked on level ground, waited 5 minutes  - then checked the dipstick. But I like the way you're thinking.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Steve,

The place where my M8 works where we got our old CRDi SLX serviced always found 5 Ltrs was enough.. The first time I used them I got 6 litres but they just gave me the full litre bottle back...

and many other CRDi owners on here have said the same  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My book says 5.3l

I've just had mine serviced and invoice says 5.3l
So I've just checked the dip stick and the oil is way above the full line.

Going back soon for a follow up so I'll ask.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
most cars only take 5 Lt's of oil in total,0.5Lt's of oil is absorbed by the oil filter. :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I could understand it being the oil filter if you'd only drained the sump and not the filter....but, the 5 litres includes what's in the filter.

Therefore one must assume there are areas within the motor where the oil does not drain out of if the total capacity is 5.3 litres.  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i can recall dazz mentioning he used to buy a 5ltr and a 1ltr oil for an oil change when he had his crdi.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
All in all a damn good reason to top up your oil using the dipstick as a guide not just pour in the listed amount. And as someone already said, start the car, let it run for a minute or so then turn it off and allow to settle for a few minutes then top off again after you're sure there's oil in the filter and everything has settled down.
This is not the first car I've had which lists a higher amount than is actually used.

Incidentally, I've noticed the same thing when flushing and re-filling the cooling system. Never takes what it's supposed to. I used to worry about air pockets but it's the same with every car I've ever had and no overheating problems have ever surfaced.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
i can recall dazz mentioning he used to buy a 5ltr and a 1ltr oil for an oil change when he had his crdi.  :idea:

He also said he got the 1 litre bottle back...... :winker:

Hi Steve,

The place where my M8 works where we got our old CRDi SLX serviced always found 5 Ltrs was enough.. The first time I used them I got 6 litres but they just gave me the full litre bottle back...

and many other CRDi owners on here have said the same  :winker:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
5.3Lt here, you have to remember the oilo filter is mounted upside down, so after motor stands for a time some oil drains out the filter. this is why it's common the see oil pressure light on for a short time on start up.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal