i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 speeds up alone?

Joker · 12 · 5162

Offline Joker

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
Hi guys,

I have my new i30 since last Tuesday and yesterday I noticed something,
when I'm on 3rd gear if I'm driving slowly for example searching for a parking spot
and if for something I go below 30km/h the car speeds up alone to 30km/h or a little bit more
this can be tricky sometimes maybe in some curves.
I just wanted to know about u guys that already have one if this happens to you also.

Thanks

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi guys,

when I'm on 3rd gear if I'm driving slowly for example searching for a parking spot
and if for something I go below 30km/h the car speeds up alone to 30km/h or a little bit more
I just wanted to know about u guys that already have one if this happens to you also.

Thanks

Yes, the torque of the engine will bring the car up to speed if that makes sense - it's unique to the diesel and if it happens, just change down to a lower gear.
Perfectly normal.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Joker

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
Hi guys,

Thanks

Yes, the torque of the engine will bring the car up to speed if that makes sense - it's unique to the diesel and if it happens, just change down to a lower gear.
Perfectly normal.

Thanks db08, yeah when i put a lower gear it stops but wanted to make sure
that anything was wrong, now i know it´s all good!  :goodjob:

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
As db08 said:
It's quite normal for diesel engines.
If you don't step on the gas pedal, your engine will still drive at the velocity that matches the idle speed (revs) in the respective gear.  The enigne is not as easily stalled as a petrol engine. Tough of course you can also stall the diesel engine if you brake too much without changing gear.

Is it your first diesel?

Offline Joker

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
As db08 said:
It's quite normal for diesel engines.
If you don't step on the gas pedal, your engine will still drive at the velocity that matches the idle speed (revs) in the respective gear.  The enigne is not as easily stalled as a petrol engine. Tough of course you can also stall the diesel engine if you brake too much without changing gear.

Is it your first diesel?

Thanks for the explanation also peon2t
Yeah it´s my first diesel, had petrol before that´s why I didn´t knew about that! lol
I was like "what the hell the car is moving alone?" lol

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Diesels are different to drive than petrols and this was my first diesel passenger car too, but I really like them.
I like that you can crawl along in heavy traffic without your foot on the clutch and the diesel torque just keeps a steady momentum without stalling.
And that you can let the clutch out without using the accelerator and it won't stall like a petrol engined car would.
For the last couple of days I've been driving a petrol Accent and although I like it and it's fun to drive, it's completely different to the i30 diesel and I know which one I prefer   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Joker

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
Diesels are different to drive than petrols and this was my first diesel passenger car too, but I really like them.
I like that you can crawl along in heavy traffic without your foot on the clutch and the diesel torque just keeps a steady momentum without stalling.
And that you can let the clutch out without using the accelerator and it won't stall like a petrol engined car would.
For the last couple of days I've been driving a petrol Accent and although I like it and it's fun to drive, it's completely different to the i30 diesel and I know which one I prefer   :D

Well before my i30 i was driving one VW Polo 1.2 petrol, so it´s a hugeeee difference for me
and I´m enjoying every moment of it! lol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It is part of the anti stall system.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
It is part of the anti stall system.

Well, I wouldn't call it like this.
It's just the way diesel engines work respectively a phenomenon which is based on the fact that a diesel engine has higher troque than a petrol engine in low revs. So the torque of the idle speed (revs) is in a lot of situations enough to keep the car rolling (not if u're driving steep uphill ;)). The petrol engine on the contrary would more often stall because it's torque with low revs isn't enough. On the other hand, you can reach higher revs with the petrol engine. Usually it's said that the petrol engines drive more sporty while the diesel engines drive more comfortable. Tough in the last years, they became a bit more similar, I guess.

Pip
With respect. It has nothing to do with the engine torque, greater or not. All diesels by design have a regulated idle which traditionally was mechanically monitored and controlled. Modern diesels do it electronically via the ECU but the end result is that they will attempt to maintain the idle speed irrespective of engine load. Try to go too slow in any gear and it will seem like it's driving you and initially is quite unsettling.

You will get used to de-clutching before the "push" comes  and to  take corners and roundabouts in second instead of third.

As said, the other side of the coin is resistance to stalling and uncanny ability to idle up steep hills in first (and to a lesser extent, second) without touching the accelerator.

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Oh. Then I learned something new, thanks!
And damn my driving instructor who told me this tale years ago :(

Offline Ace Demon

• 2nd Gear
With respect. It has nothing to do with the engine torque, greater or not.

Quite correct. Actually, without the benefit of a turbo, diesels produce less torque than a petrol engine of the same capacity. Can't say I've found much difference in stall resistance either.

Modern petrol engines have closed loop idle speed regulation too, but the last carburettor car I had would chug up a surprisingly steep incline at under 300rpm. I found I prefer open loop operation because it means that when going along in slow moving traffic it is possible to get the car moving and then regulate the speed below idle by pressing the brake (like an automatic), which is easier than having to use the clutch.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal