i30 Owners Club

DIESEL ENGINE OIL TYPE - OIL TYPE LIST

i30niko · 41 · 31357

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Hi guys,
I was searching around forums on what oil to use on the diesel i30 crdi.
The handbook says "API service CH-4 or above and ACEA A3/B4 10w30, 15w40 or 5w30 and 0w30 in colder countries (Not recommended for AUSTRALIA)"

So I compiled a list of FULL SYNTHETIC oils: I Would like opinions and comments

NULON FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 DIESEL FORMULA API CF/SM ACEA C3/B5/A5 (not sure if suitable as not A3/B4)
NULON LONG LIFE FULL SYNTHETIC 5w40 API CF/SM ACEA C3/B4/A3
SHELL HELIX ULTRA FULL SYNTHETIC (Black container) 5w40 API SJ/CF ACEA B3/B4/A3
CASTROL TITANIUM EDGE FULL SYNTHETIC (golden container) 5w30 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4
VALVOLINE SYNPOWER (Silver container) FULL SYNTHETIC API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B4
PENRITE HPR DIESEL 5 SEMI-SYNTHETIC 5w40 API CI-4 PLUS/SL, ACEA A3/B4/E7 (the only semi synthetic of the lot)
PENRITE HPR 5 FULLY SYNTHETIC 5w40 API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4

I would prefer the Australian Made products such as Nulon and Penrite. However the Castrol is on 20% off at the moment
at Repco so it is a good deal.

Any suggestion comments would be appreciated.
 Not sure if the Magnatec range from Castrol is recommended.

• 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Pip
Niko, oils are discussed in FLUIDS section and this thread might be better moved there.

Some of your questions will already be a answered there.

Be careful in accepting the description of "fully synthetic" as some so marketed have a base oil of group 3 which is derived from mineral oil and which is "similar" to synthetic  in its character but technically is not really synthetic. The difference may be academic but exists just the same. It is cheaper than true synthetics of group 4 and 5 and of course the reason it is used. One significant advantage of synthetic is that the "molecules" are of regular size and apparently this is good. Whatever the reason chemically, synthetic holds its viscosity longer when hot. This is good for turbos which can super heat the oil in its bearings. HTHS is the measure here.

ACEA B4 is a robust oil (with a higher figure for HTHS) that can be used in cars without DPF and IMO affords better lubrication than oils formulated to provide better economy (B5) and also better than oils formulated for less polution and those required for DPF (C3/4).

These points alone might prune your list. I might add that probably none on the list are truly 100% synthetic. We are not privvy to actual percentages however.

Magnatec does not even pretend to be synthetic, cross it off straight away. Of those in your list I've previously looked at I'd go for Shell Helix Ultra (not Extra).

Dunno about Penrite HPR 5, may be good. I might mention that CF will almost certainly be met by any B4 oil but if not, cross it off too.

Finally, B4 is hard to meet by lesser oils particularly if they cannot stretch the lower viscosity to 0w or 5w at the least. In other words do not look too hard at 10w+ oil.

Incidently, I would not hesitate to use the Castrol 5w30 Titanium in a petrol engine  but have chosen not to use that one in my CRDi (I do however use in Wife's Getz).

FWIW I use Castrol Syntec (German Castrol) 0w30 at the moment and soon to change to Mobil 1 0w40 due to supply problems with the Castrol here in Oz.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:20:00 by Pip »

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Incidently, I would not hesitate to use the Castrol 5w30 Titanium in a petrol engine  but have chosen not to use that one in my CRDi (I do however use in Wife's Getz).

Thanks for the info Pip....I shall move this Thread to the 'fluids' section which I did not even know it existed until you pointed it out.
So basically I should choose a B4 type oil? And just curious why wouldn't you use the Castrol in a crdi engine?
REGARDS

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi all

CASTROL TITANIUM EDGE FULL SYNTHETIC (golden container) 5w30 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4

If by a petrol engine you mean an i30, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't SL lower spec than SM. And therefore not suitable for i30? It used to be SM but the 5w30 went to SL

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Hi all

If by a petrol engine you mean an i30, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't SL lower spec than SM. And therefore not suitable for i30? It used to be SM but the 5w30 went to SL

How do we know what S_ Value oil to use in the i30 diesel engine? In the owners manual it clearly states SJ/SL or above (for the petrol) but for the diesel all it says is:

WITHOUT CPF (i.e. in Australia) API service CH-4 or above, ACEA B4.
and WITH CPF (i.e. Europe) ACEA C3.

Can someone shed some light?

Oh Aye30, Castrol Edge 5w30 is SL so it can be used. I am assuming they go in alphabetical order? The higher the letter the better the quality??

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Magnatech does not even pretend to be synthetic, cross it off straight away. Of those in your list I've previously looked at I'd go for Shell Helix Ultra (not Extra).

Can you explain please.

MY dealer used Castrol Magnatec for my MY2011 i30 diesel first service.  Being rather sceptical about  the C3 spec I checked and found that Castrol Magnatec 5/30 is a  'fully synthetic' C3 rated oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69392-castrol-magnatec-5w-40-c3-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

I understand your comments about the term fully synthetic and the fact that hard information is difficult to find but Castrol is owned by BP so quality and description  should not be suspect.
Being very fussy about oil on previous cars I have owned I  always supplied  engine oil to the manufacturer's preferred spec and would have supplied Shell Helix Ultra C3 which I can buy  cheaper than the dealer's price.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68973-shell-helix-ultra-extra-5w-30-premium-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

However, I rather stupidly agreed to a service plan and am tied to whatever oil the dealer uses unless I am prepared to supply Shell without a rebate for the oil they use and at £60 that is a bit much to bear.
I can see my service plan being terminated if I can wriggle my way out of it as, it seems, the service costs for years 2,3 and 4 will be considerably less than the amount I will have paid in  monthly over that period.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Magnatech does not even pretend to be synthetic, cross it off straight away. Of those in your list I've previously looked at I'd go for Shell Helix Ultra (not Extra).

Can you explain please.

MY dealer used Castrol Magnatec for my MY2011 i30 diesel first service.  Being rather sceptical about  the C3 spec I checked and found that Castrol Magnatec 5/30 is a  'fully synthetic' C3 rated oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69392-castrol-magnatec-5w-40-c3-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

I understand your comments about the term fully synthetic and the fact that hard information is difficult to find but Castrol is owned by BP so quality and description  should not be suspect.
Being very fussy about oil on previous cars I have owned I  always supplied  engine oil to the manufacturer's preferred spec and would have supplied Shell Helix Ultra C3 which I can buy  cheaper than the dealer's price.

I personally would never use anything made by BP after what they did in the Gulf of Mexico.

However, on the Australian Castrol Website it does not mention anywhere that the Magnatec range is Fully synthetic.

It says it meets and exceeds API SN/CF, ACEA C3, but does not even mention anything about a B4 rating or above?

The Fully synthetic line from Castrol is the Edge Titanium so I would use that. But maybe In the UK its different.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yep Titanium would be the way to go... It is on Special at Repco 20% off until early September at around $55  :goodjob:

Magnatec over here is only semi synthetic as far as i am aware and we have had negative feedback on it ... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
$67 Dazz  ;) , just picked some up from Repco, that is if you go by the Hyundai approved oils list, that states 0w40 for Edge.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
$67 Dazz  ;) , just picked some up from Repco, that is if you go by the Hyundai approved oils list, that states 0w40 for Edge.

5w30 Edge for $55 is also 100% Approved by hyundai as it is API SL/C4 A3/B4.....

REPCO also sells the SHELL HELIX ULTRA at the moment 5w40 which is $49.99! Fully synthetic and approved for the i30

As I said previously, I would go for an Aussie brand like NULON or PENRITE their oils are actually pretty good, however between the 2 above, I would choose the Shell helix....Pip mentioned in some other post that the helix is good....

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
5w30 Edge for $55 is also 100% Approved by hyundai as it is API SL/C4 A3/B4.....

I can't attach the list that has been posted on these forums (from Hyundai Australia) as the limit is 50k and this pdf is 142, so you have to take my word for it. The only Edge Castrol on the list is 0W40. The other Castrol makes are Magnatec Pro 5W40 (B4) and SLX Pro OE 5W30 that is C3 compliant. Signed by Oscar M. Leal, national technical manager.

Unless of course you have a more current list.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

I can't attach the list that has been posted on these forums (from Hyundai Australia) as the limit is 50k and this pdf is 142, so you have to take my word for it. The only Edge Castrol on the list is 0W40. The other Castrol makes are Magnatec Pro 5W40 (B4) and SLX Pro OE 5W30 that is C3 compliant. Signed by Oscar M. Leal, national technical manager.

Unless of course you have a more current list.

Well I only go by the owners manual which says:  "API service CH-4 or above and ACEA A3/B4 10w30, 15w40 or 5w30 and 0w30 in colder countries."

At the end of the day the owners manual is the one we all consult, and if warranty issues arise because the wrong oil was used they cannot tell us that we shouldve looked at 'The list' from the national technical manager instead of the owners manual.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I personally would never use anything made by BP after what they did in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Fully synthetic line from Castrol is the Edge Titanium so I would use that. But maybe In the UK its different.

Make up your mind.   :confused:  Castrol is a BP company and markets BP's lubricants.

Having a brother who was a senior offshore rig and platform engineer for BP I cannot agree with your views on BP's performance in the Gulf of Mexico although I do understand them.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Well I only go by the owners manual which says:  "API service CH-4 or above and ACEA A3/B4 10w30, 15w40 or 5w30 and 0w30 in colder countries."

At the end of the day the owners manual is the one we all consult, and if warranty issues arise because the wrong oil was used they cannot tell us that we shouldve looked at 'The list' from the national technical manager instead of the owners manual.

No worries, each to his own I guess. By all means go with the cheapest oil "approved". Hopefully you will never have to fight it out with Hyundai over $12 extra per oil change. After all $12 every 15000 km is a massive expense most people can't afford   
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Castrol is a BP company and markets BP's lubricants.

I didn't know that... :eek:

No worries, each to his own I guess. By all means go with the cheapest oil "approved". Hopefully you will never have to fight it out with Hyundai over $12 extra per oil change. After all $12 every 15000 km is a massive expense most people can't afford   

Don't be like that Hati  :confused: :p

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Castrol is a BP company and markets BP's lubricants.
I didn't know that... :eek:

From Castrol Australia website http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9002603&contentId=6003745

Contact details
Head Office
BP Australia Ltd
717 Bourke St, Docklands
GPO Box 5222
Melbourne, VIC 3001

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Make up your mind.   :confused:  Castrol is a BP company and markets BP's lubricants.

Having a brother who was a senior offshore rig and platform engineer for BP I cannot agree with your views on BP's performance in the Gulf of Mexico although I do understand them.

That is my personal opinion. I have nothing against the oil's quality itself....I just wouldn't use it, but on the second paragraph I was giving my advice to the other forum member that I would use the Edge Titanium over the Magnatec any day....

I did not mean to offend family members of people who worked for BP or any of its conglomerates, I just did not like the way they handled the situation over there and polluted the whole place.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

That is my personal opinion. I have nothing against the oil's quality itself....I just wouldn't use it, but on the second paragraph I was giving my advice to the other forum member that I would use the Edge Titanium over the Magnatec any day....

Got it!  You would recommend Edge Titanium over the Magnatec but wouldn't use it yourself.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

The thing is Shell Helix Ultra, and Castrol Edge Titanium are not the cheapest oils approved. On the contrary I think the magnatec is the cheapest out of those 3. I don't know what oil Hyundai uses but I think it wouldn't be much better (if at all) than the Shell helix Ultra etc.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't be like that Hati   

Ok, ok   :D   Just tell me that I'm wrong  ;)

It wasn't what you said it was the way you said it.... :whistler:

You make a good point about the minor difference in price (although I would be very surprised if using Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30 could be used against you in a warranty claim situation)  :snigger:

I think Pip (our Oil Man) recommends 5W-30 over 5W-40  :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I assume you're referring to this list?  :)

From memory the dealer I got this list from said it was by no means the only oils to use, it was just what they had approved as being suitable at the time....

Pip
Thanks for the info Pip...
..And just curious why wouldn't you use the Castrol (Edge 5w30) in a crdi engine?
Purely subjective. I tried it immediately after pulling the original fill and when cold the engine had a distinct tinny rattle that the old oil didn't show. After running it for few thousand kays I swapped it for my current choice. The engine then sounded, from memory, the same as it did originally. Hardly scientific and the basic figures for viscosity between the two latter oils were very similar and both were from the same company. My ears suggested there was something else going on. The price differential also was significant and influenced my thinking along the lines of "you get what you pay for".

More than a few here use the Edge 5w30 and I'm sure it will work just fine and without warranty issues because it meets the B4 specification.  I'm personally happy to spend extra, which really is insignificant, because I'm keeping my car for a long time (and I'm anal as well).  :wacko:

PS, I think Edge 0w40 is a much better oil and I'd expect its higher price to be reflected in longer engine life.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Thanks for the info Pip...
..And just curious why wouldn't you use the Castrol (Edge 5w30) in a crdi engine?
Purely subjective. I tried it immediately after pulling the original fill and when cold the engine had a distinct tinny rattle that the old oil didn't show. After running it for few thousand kays I swapped it for my current choice. The engine then sounded, from memory, the same as it did originally. Hardly scientific and the basic figures for viscosity between the two latter oils were very similar and both were from the same company. My ears suggested there was something else going on. The price differential also was significant and influenced my thinking along the lines of "you get what you pay for".

More than a few here use the Edge 5w30 and I'm sure it will work just fine and without warranty issues because it meets the B4 specification.  I'm personally happy to spend extra, which really is insignificant, because I'm keeping my car for a long time (and I'm anal as well).  :wacko:

PS, I think Edge 0w40 is a much better oil and I'd expect its higher price to be reflected in longer engine life.

Thanks Pip I just found out that the ONLY noticeable difference between the 2 is that the 5w30 is API-SL** with 2 asterisks saying that it passed all specifications of an SN oil but exceeded phosphorus limits...while the 5w40 is API-SN with a full stop lol. On paper both oils they are identical and the price between them is only $5 or so from memory, maybe that phosphorus tweak is to consider for the price difference.....

Any other oil recommendations from the list anyone? I would like to hear more opinions on the OZ made oils as it is a pity not many people are buying/using them. I actually heard from a few mechanics the penrites especially are really good....

Pip

Can you explain please.

That Magnatec is not what we get in Oz - I'm talking about the linked oil 5w40 not 5w30. My comment was for our local oil. The C3 is correct for you (DPF) and the general specs look fine. Apologies for misleading.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I picked up some Shell Helix Ultra the other day at just under $50 and will happily continue to use it.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I picked up some Shell Helix Ultra the other day at just under $50 and will happily continue to use it.  :D

yeah thats the repco deal on the 20% off at the moment isn't it?
I am going to give it a try myself also.....
IT meets the requirements of a ferrari so I am sure it will be a top notch oil to use for an i30!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Been using Castrol Edge 0W 40 since the first service but for my next service (45,000k) it will be with the new "Titanium".   :goodjob:
I'd assume I won't notice any difference, other than to my wallet....  :whistler:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Been using Castrol Edge 0W 40 since the first service but for my next service (45,000k) it will be with the new "Titanium".   :goodjob:
I'd assume I won't notice any difference, other than to my wallet....  :whistler:

THe Penrite HPR 5 diesel, 5w40 is on special at repco also 10L For $79......(API CI-4 PLUS/SL, ACEA A3/B4/E7)
Even though it says semi synthetic on their website, penrite recommends it for the i30 diesel,
and it conforms in all the specifications set by hyundai. Penrite even recommends it over its full synthetic
range (for the diesel). I picked it up and will report on my next service. (I also picked up a shell helix ultra 5w40 for comparison).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 13:10:37 by i30niko »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal