i30 Owners Club

Oil Leak on Turbo

Offline Doug Carol Lennox

• 1st Gear
Hi all,

Just taken our i30 in for it's 30 000km service and the dealer service rep has said that the turbo has an oil leak and needs to be replaced. This also happened at the 7500 km service and was replaced then. Has anyone else had the same issue? I've got no problems as it is covered by warranty but is this going to be an ongoing common problem?

Waiting to here your replies.

Doug

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Doug and Carol...As far as I'm aware this is the first time such an issue has been raised on here (in well over 50,000 postings..)

Sounds a bit like an underlying issue may be causing your problem??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
Hi Doug, welcome.

As far as I recall there have been zero reported prolems with the turbo. Two for you in a short time suggests an underlying problem either with your car or the conditions under which it is driven.

There has been a strong recommendation to allow an extended idle period before shut-down particularly if the turbo has been worked hard immediately before.

However, I doubt many actually do that.

• 1st Gear
Thanks guys,

The car is driven mainly by Carol so it doesn't get driven hard or flogged however I know that she never idles it down for a few minutes. The service rep didn't say where the oil was leaking from either.

Doug

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Regarding the fact, you had that problem at 7,500 km's, I would bet it's not a problem in the way of driving, but there must be some bigger problem (or minor, but causing big failures) with the engine. Maybe the way of driving makes it brake down earlier, but I think that's not the main reason.

Maybe the oil is inappropriate, maybe it doesn't lubricate the turbine well enough (they should check if the oil reaches the turbine 100% or if leaks somewhere in between (they should check the tubes if the oil flows normally), maybe it also doesn't cool down the turbine.. Maybe some particles from the engine get in the tubes and turbine...pfff

Anyways..I would get it checked thoroughly and right away. Because having that problem, when the car doesn't have warranty anymore, can cost you A LOT. Over here that kind of brake down costs between AU$ 1,500-3,000..

Pip
The service rep didn't say where the oil was leaking from either.
Doug

It would be interesting to get some details of just where the failure is if you do find out.

I wouldn't consider castigating the better half... I don't do an "idle-down" either. :-[
Actually, that's a small lie, I do but only if I've really been hard on it, which is not often. :rolleyes:

• 1st Gear
The car is booked in for the 10 May so I'll let you all know after that. Thanks for the info .

Doug

Besides, you would think if idle down is such an issue hyundai would install a tubo timer.

Just a thought...

Carol

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Maybe the oil return line to the sump is blocked or kinked causing oil pressure to 'back up' in the turbo - seems so obvious the dealer should have checked that already....

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I honestly think that the idling down isn't that much of an issue. It might be, but you would have those problems after 100k km's. Most people I know never idle down their diesels. They drive 180, 200 km/h on the highway, go on the gas station (on the highway) and turn off the engine right away.. One guy even has i30. They mostly do 150k km's without any problems, but after that... :)

Anyway.. Tell us how it went  :wink:

Offline sunshine

• 1st Gear
HI all, I too have a oil leak from the turbo. My vehicle has travelled less than 5000km.s and is ,at this moment in being inspected at the local HYUNDAI DEALER.

The oil is leaking from a large hose that connects the turbo to what appears to be a small radiator style unit, inter cooler?fitted just behind the grille on the passengers side. There is a clip holding the hose to the (inter cooler) the oil is leaking from there.

There has been NO loss in performance, there vehicle still performs beautifully,just leaves an oil stain on the driveway.

Will keep you posted.

Sunshine.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
sunshiine, it sounds like the oil seals inside the turbo have gone... does it also blow a bit of white smoke?

Offline sunshine

• 1st Gear
Further to my report on oil leak on turbo, the car was checked by local HYUNDAI SERVICE CENTRE, conclusion, "loose clamp". Will wait and see whether the fault is rectified. Was advised by service manager,(nice bloke) that oil vapour is present in that particular hose. Still not convinced.

AGENTR31, Have not noticed any white smoke, has a slight haze from the exhaust under hard acceleration. Have noticed this in the rearview mirror from following cars headlights.

SUNSHINE

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
slight haze under hard acceleration it perfectly normal...

Offline sunshine

• 1st Gear
update fm sunshine:  My local Hyundai dealer has stopped the oil leak. Looks as though the new hose clamp was all that was needed.

Just Love my (read the wife) I30 1.6.

Sunshine.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal