i30 Owners Club

Brake lights not working i30 wagon 1.6 petrol

risc527 · 14 · 6936

Offline risc527

• 2nd Gear
Discovered today that my i30 wagon (2010) auto, none of the rear brake lights are working both side and the cyclops. Have checked the fuses with a mutlimeter and all seems to good. No warning light or any other issue. Other lights are ok, tailights\nunber plate light\reversing lights all ok.

Google seems to say something about  brake light switch recall? Certainly head nothing from Hyundai Singapore on that one:(. But it not quite clear if the wagon model is affected or not? Dont really see why it wouldnt be given the symptoms?

Had a poke about at the brake light switch but couldnt figure out how to get it off, any instructions out there that are specific to the i30?

How much would a dealer charge to replace one of these?

If it is not the brake slight switch, what else could it be? :confused:

• i30 crw

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Brake light switch failed on my dad's i10.

Cost was £15

To remove you find it in the footwell .

There is a small plunger which lines up with the brake pedal arm and moves in and out of the switch box.

Easy to change as i could do it
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Also check to see if just one of the bulbs are blown, some cars behave in weird and different ways when one bulb goes out somewhere.

Offline RuudH

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Bunschoten
There is a recall for my 2009 i30 CW, its for the brake light switch
  • 2009 i30 CW Automatic gear

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Remove the brake light from the car and check that there is power at the fitting if yes, buy a new bulb, if no check the brake switch. Remember the brake light bulb has 2 filaments.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline risc527

• 2nd Gear
Thank you for all the responses. Have managed to take out the brake light switch now, you were right not that hard and there is a good video on YouTube that helps. Tested it on the multimeter and it seems to working perfectly well on there. Will swap it out anyway just to be sure.

Thanks for the tip on the bulbs. Hadn't bothered to check them as all are not working but will check them for good measure.
 :goodjob2:

If it not the bulbs or switch then that leaves  what! Wiring?  :confused:
  • i30 crw

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
When you say "checked the fuses" was that just for continuity or voltage as well and is your car fitted with cruise control, if is it functional  :question:

Offline risc527

• 2nd Gear
Just for continuity not voltage. I don't have cruise control
  • i30 crw

Offline risc527

• 2nd Gear
I have actually had the filament bulbs out now and tested them - they are working  :crazy1:. Didnt test the Cyclops led bar but dont think it is the bulbs:(
  • i30 crw

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Check for voltage, too. Earth the black connector to a suitable bolt, then with volts set to 20, touch the red side on the fuse, have the ign switched on, but no motor running. You should get 12-13volts on your gauge, ensure the device is earthed properly to the car body. If no volts at the fuses, then need to find out why.

Offline risc527

• 2nd Gear
Have now installed a new brake light switch and voila - problem resolve so it was the switch after all :goodjob2: Thanks everyone
  • i30 crw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Have now installed a new brake light switch and voila - problem resolve so it was the switch after all :goodjob2: Thanks everyone

Hope you didn't pay too much for the switch, by rights it should have been a warranty fix. Great that you fixed it though!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline risc527

• 2nd Gear
15USD  :goodjob:, I'm out of warranty but agree it should have been done by the dealer, since apparently there has been a TSB which they haven't bothered to tell me about.   Not enough time\desire to pursue them about it.  It was hard enough getting them to replace the key fob where the rubber bit had all disintergrated when it was under warranty  :rolleyes: Incidently the key fob rubber is now cracking up again :fum:
  • i30 crw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
15USD  :goodjob:, I'm out of warranty but agree it should have been done by the dealer, since apparently there has been a TSB which they haven't bothered to tell me about.   Not enough time\desire to pursue them about it.  It was hard enough getting them to replace the key fob where the rubber bit had all disintergrated when it was under warranty  :rolleyes: Incidently the key fob rubber is now cracking up again :fum:

15 bucks is ok!  :goodjob: Key fob rubber is cheap via Ebay!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal