Hyundai UK Recalls in 2011 = Zero

eye30 · 31 · 11129

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Top marks went to Bentley, Caterham, Daihatsu, Ferrari, Hyundai, Lamborghini, Lotus, Perodua, Proton, Rolls-Royce, Saab, SEAT, Skoda and VW with not a single recall in 2011.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/276643/vauxhall_worst_recall_offender_for_2011.html
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Didin't find Lada, for some reasons  :harhar:  :mrgreen:

They are propably wise enough to not import them  :rofl: :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we're in amongst some big names there.  :mrgreen: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Absolute Rubbish as these are VOSA recall's.

Its a shame that it is not a true reflection of the real world, as there have been a few safety related manufacturer recalls. ie Must be done as a mater of urgency

iX35: Vacumn Pump replacement on 1.7 Diesel. (Potential Brake failure)

Matrix: Replacement of the brake master cylinder due to fluid contamination (Potential Brake Failure)

Trajet/Coupe/Santa Fe: Trailing arm, Subframe, Front Lower suspension arm corrosion inspection/Waxing/Replacement (Potential catastophic suspension failure)

There are more however it may look like im having a rant! LOL  :happydance: :happydance:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 22:26:01 by Funky »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Shocked: I said nothing Mr Fawlty... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
No recalls => No faults made => infallible manufacturer
or
Useless technicians => No faults found => No recalls

:undecided:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The fact that Hyundai did not incur any VOSA recalls just goes to show that they don't wait until problems are reported to VOSA - they swing into action themselves...................unlike some other manufacturers who wait until users blow the whistle.................. :hatoff:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The ix35 also had instrument cluster replacement and front stability bar replacement.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
The ix35 also had instrument cluster replacement and front stability bar replacement.
That's good according my way of thinking :wink:

Ουδέν κακόν αμιγές καλού
or
A stumble may prevent a fall
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

No these are different..
In fact there are dozens and dozens of known problems all across the hyundai range that potentially require parts to be replaced, but only if the customer complains about the specific problem. Not all cars exhibit the faults so it is customer complaint only to reduce warranty costs.

ie: The iX35 cluster and bars will ONLY be replaced if the customer complaint is related to the problem area.

The way this works is when a vehicle is booked in we must perform a VIN check that shows any outstanding technical campaigns that may be required. 
In the case of the early iX35's there are around an average of 10 campaigns. Only 2 must be done, 6-7 are customer complaint only, ie the cluster, droplinks, seat handles, door handles etc etc. Of course these are not safety related

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 22:57:49 by Funky »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

No these are different..
In fact there are dozens and dozens of known problems all across the hyundai range that potentially require parts to be replaced, but only if the customer complains about the specific problem. Not all cars exhibit the faults so it is customer complaint only to reduce warranty costs.

ie: The iX35 cluster and bars will ONLY be replaced if the customer complaint is related to the problem area.

The way this works is when a vehicle is booked in we must perform a VIN check that shows any outstanding technical campaigns that may be required. 
In the case of the early iX35's there are around an average of 10 campaigns. Only 2 must be done, 6-7 are customer complaint only, ie the cluster, droplinks, seat handles, door handles etc etc. Of course these are not safety related

My friends ix35 had the cluster and drop links replaced without them even having a problem therefore no complaint!!

In fact they had to replace the cluster twice since the dopey service centre managed to fit a 4WD cluster to their 2WD car, only discovered by my mate when he went to drive away and a warning light was on he had never seen.  Mechanic tried to tell him to switch off the 4WD and he was adamant that the light would go out!!  He even went as far as opening the door and reaching for where the switch is on the 4WD version then obviously came to an abrupt halt when he realised it wasn't there!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

No these are different..

My friends ix35 had the cluster and drop links replaced without them even having a problem therefore no complaint!!

In fact they had to replace the cluster twice since the dopey service centre managed to fit a 4WD cluster to their 2WD car, only discovered by my mate when he went to drive away and a warning light was on he had never seen.  Mechanic tried to tell him to switch off the 4WD and he was adamant that the light would go out!!  He even went as far as opening the door and reaching for where the switch is on the 4WD version then obviously came to an abrupt halt when he realised it wasn't there!
and i bet he was a very red faced mechanic.  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Frankly, I wouldn't go back, if that's how good they are.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
they obviously didn't use the Vin# when the part was ordered.  :idea: :rolleyes:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
They did use the VINS, problem was they had booked in a group of ix35's for the same day and got them mixed up, some other poor sod must have ended up with a 2WD cluster in their 4WD version :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Next nearest main dealer who is not part of the same network for us Aberdonians is Inverness some 120 miles (close to 200 km) away.  Kinda puts us between a rock and a hard place!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
They did use the VINS, problem was they had booked in a group of ix35's for the same day and got them mixed up, some other poor sod must have ended up with a 2WD cluster in their 4WD version :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Next nearest main dealer who is not part of the same network for us Aberdonians is Inverness some 120 miles (close to 200 km) away.  Kinda puts us between a rock and a hard place!
:scared: :faint:

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The dealer is completely in the wrong as those 2 campaigns are replacement on Customer complaint only.. If thats the game the dealer wants to play then they are risking an ass kicking from Hyundai when it comes to warranty/dealer standard audit time..  :Shocked: :Shocked:

As for the cluster, you have to check and cross reference the part number directly off the label on the rear of the one fitted in the car to get the correct replacement. As the part numbers versus Vin number are not always correct on the MOBIS system

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As for the cluster, you have to check and cross reference the part number directly off the label on the rear of the one fitted in the car to get the correct replacement. As the part numbers versus Vin number are not always correct on the MOBIS system

That makes it a bit hard if you need to order the part in  :Shocked:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

its a fingers crossed system.  :disapp:

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

It means 2 visits by the customer to complete the repair. 1st visit to CONFIRM that the fault is PRESENT and to check the part number.

2nd visit to complete repair.

Bear in mind that when a part is replaced under warranty the displaced item becomes the property of HMC. These parts have to kept for 3 months in the case of low value items and those that are not included in a technical replacement "campaign".

For High value items over £500 including campaign items they have to be kept for 6 months.

A displaced part can and are requested on a regular basis to be returned to HMC for inspection. If the "faulty" part is found be be in working order then any Warranty payment that has been payed to the dealer will be automatically charged back at the dealers expense. Parts and labour!
For example, i replace an i30 steering column at a cost of £1,400. It is then requested by HMC, no fault is found. That will be £1,400 taken straight back! Quite a slice off the bottom line. That is why sometimes making the Correct diagnosis can take a fair amount of time as everyone wants to get it right. ie the customer, Me, HMC.

Bear in mind that we as a dealer don't get paid any time for doing the diagnostics, all we can claim is the "standard" book time of the repair.  So if I have a vehicle in for a rattle/noise then Hyundai will pay nothing unless we identify the cause, then it is only the time for replacing the faulty part!

As a dealer we are generally independant representatives of HMC. We buy the franchise to sell and repair their cars on their behalf. Then We want to get paid by them and dont want any charge backs.

As the world economy continues on the decline all sorts of businesses are tightening their belts and reducing costs. Car manufacturers are one of many, with Warranty claims being on the hot list of introducing tight monetary controls.  I can tell you that it is hard hard work getting prior work authorisations approved for high value claims and the inspection of all other claims is microscopic!!

I have read many automotive forums over the years and the common theme on all of them is How shit the dealer network is or the manufacturer is etc etc..

I would charge anyone to come and work in my position and see how tough it is!!

Rant OVER!  :rofl: :rofl:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 22:14:00 by Funky »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fair call Funky! I'm glad you have clarified that  :goodjob: 

I have always understood why dealers don't spend big time and effort looking for rattles and I encourage our members to look for and silence there own. This is partly because they will be more gentle on most occassions than the dealer at pulling things apart and reassembling.

Obviously, if a "cosmetic" cause can't be found and it appears to be something mechanical or safety related that is entirely different  :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the both of you make total sense in your comments about the rattles.   if you continually take your car back for every little squeak and rattle eventually they will become annoyed at your complaining.  the day you have a major problem could be the day your dealer starts to not want to know you any more.  :scared: :faint: IMO.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Funky

As a former foreman at a VW/Skoda dealer I can only support your statement. It is the same conditions we had to work with, however we did get paid a little bit for the time used to find the error, but mostly it didn't cover the spend time.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
the both of you make total sense in your comments about the rattles.   if you continually take your car back for every little squeak and rattle eventually they will become annoyed at your complaining.  the day you have a major problem could be the day your dealer starts to not want to know you any more.  :scared: :faint: IMO.

If you have something with your car that you don't think is ok, whatever it may be, you should be able to go to your dealer to clarify if it is ok or not.

If you as as costumer came to the dealer and complained about a rattle, a noise, etc, I would have one of the technicians/mechanics to take the car for a spin with the costumer. By doing that, the costumer could present the error, and the technician have heard or felt the rattle, noise or whatever the error must be. That makes it easier for the technician to solve the problem.
But, if the costumer can not present the error, then there is no complaint.

From the topics in here, I don't get that he Hyundai dealers take there time to take the costumer for a spin to clarify if there is a complaint or not.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

If you have something with your car that you don't think is ok, whatever it may be, you should be able to go to your dealer to clarify if it is ok or not.

If you as as costumer came to the dealer and complained about a rattle, a noise, etc, I would have one of the technicians/mechanics to take the car for a spin with the costumer. By doing that, the costumer could present the error, and the technician have heard or felt the rattle, noise or whatever the error must be. That makes it easier for the technician to solve the problem.

From the topics in here, I don't get that he Hyundai dealers take there time to take the costumer for a spin to clarify if there is a complaint or not.
some will, but most seem like they don't care about going for a drive to find/hear the noise,our dealers mechanic will.  :razz: i explain to them  the problem i have with the car,and also mention what i think the problem/fault or rattle is. most people would drop the car off to be looked at and just say,well fit it.  :faint:

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I  go out with  customers half a dozen times a day or more to experience their complaints/concerns. As this means I am not at the recieving end of a poor fault description on the job card that is translated by the service advisers!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You are one of the good ones Funky  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal