i30 Owners Club

Ford design chief takes swipe at Hyundai styling

Guest · 33 · 10281

Pip
It's interesting that Hy gets his attention to single out as a "rival". I expect his reference a few years ago might have been someone else. However, I could not agree more with his sentiment. I am unlikely to be a Hy customer again until this current styling is behind it. Too clever by halves for me.

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love
lol good luck ford.

i45 is one of the sexiest cars out there

Seriously i wish them the best of luck, hey if they think they can make a better car for the same price customers win again!
But some how i doubt it. Hyundai is the largest car company in the world now. Ford had that claim for quite some time and lost it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's interesting that Hy gets his attention to single out as a "rival". I expect his reference a few years ago might have been someone else. However, I could not agree more with his sentiment. I am unlikely to be a Hy customer again until this current styling is behind it. Too clever by halves for me.

Me thinks he's running scared of the big "H" so feels the need to bag their styling, a bit rich me thinks after seeing the front on that SUV.....and he see's that as sophisticated?  :Shocked:

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love

Me thinks he's running scared of the big "H" so feels the need to bag their styling, a bit rich me thinks after seeing the front on that SUV.....and he see's that as sophisticated?  :Shocked:

+1 that suv is ugly as sin

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hyundai is the largest car company in the world now.

Digi, I think you'll find Hyundai is around the fourth largest car company....  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I guess each to their own. Although I won't be buying a new car anytime soon, I reckon the current crop of Hyundais look great.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No point in being critical of Hy as the styling of the cars is performed in Germany isn't it.

Regardless of what position Hy is, Ford & GM had to go cap in hand to the US govt for bail out money, (which the US govt hasn't got, BTW,) so they're lucky to still exist. Their super funds are broke AFAIK so with that type of management, would you buy their cars right now, not me.

HY should be flattered, they've obviously got Ford's attention.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I don't get it either and his claim that "fluidic sculpture" is too fussy is almost laughable.

If we sit the i30 and Focus side by side and debadge them I would bet on an awful lot of consumers not having a clue, more so with the new facelifts of both models.

I am with Trevor, I think the current crop of Hyundais are amongst the best looking on the road :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i was born into a fanatical ford family,every [road regestered] car Ive owned up until i bought the 2 i30's were fords,but i can honestly say with pride that i would never buy another ford,Hyundai has won me over with its brilliant cars.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hyundai styling is a mixed bag for me at the moment... I like the look of the new Elantra and 2012 i30 .. the i45 looks brilliant particularly the Premium model in White or Silver, but I suspect it might date quickly (especially the overly fussy grill)

I find the iX35 a bit ugly I'm afraid. The Kia Sportage looks much nicer to my eyes and so does the Nissan Dualis (particularly the top of the range which has a lovely wheel design)  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm with Daz on the Kia Sportage... definitely nicer than the Hy equivalent.

Like Steve I was raised on Fords... but can never see myself ever buying another..

Plus... & importantly... at least 2 of the young drivers that I know are dead keen on the Veloster... but are shy of making that common knowledge...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No point in being critical of Hy as the styling of the cars is performed in Germany isn't it.

Regardless of what position Hy is, Ford & GM had to go cap in hand to the US govt for bail out money, (which the US govt hasn't got, BTW,) so they're lucky to still exist. Their super funds are broke AFAIK so with that type of management, would you buy their cars right now, not me.

HY should be flattered, they've obviously got Ford's attention.  :goodjob2:
I think you'll find it was GM and Chrysler. Ford was profitable but applied for some support as it didn't want its competitors to get a hand out when they didn't. End result, Ford stood on its own two feet (4 wheels? ;) ).

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hyundai styling is a mixed bag for me at the moment... I like the look of the new Elantra and 2012 i30 .. the i45 looks brilliant particularly the Premium model in White or Silver, but I suspect it might date quickly (especially the overly fussy grill)

I find the iX35 a bit ugly I'm afraid. The Kia Sportage looks much nicer to my eyes and so does the Nissan Dualis (particularly the top of the range which has a lovely wheel design)  :happydance:
I reckon the iX35 is the best looking small SUV on the road. The first one I ever saw was in traffic and I had no idea what it was, just that I reckoned it looked great. If I was in the market for a vehicle in that group, I'd have it tomorrow.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the ix35 looks better in some models and colours than others.. Like I mentioned in another thread a week or two ago I sat in a top of the range Highlander model (in Black) in the local showroom while I talked to one of the salesman the other day and that looked ok.. (but so it should)

But there was a Top of the range Dualis across the road from work today that nearly rolled down the hill by itself..
(the cute female driver left the engine running while she ducked into the shop next door and obviously didn't have the handbrake on properly..I had to chase after her - she was real appreciative  :P) I reckoned that looked a lot better ..

I will try and find three photos and post them up  :idea:  :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think the Dualis is known as the Qashqai (KASHKYE) in UK/Europe

Link here

http://www.nissan.co.uk/?cid=psbrandsUK_enBRDlocukgg&kw=nissan#vehicles/crossovers/qashqai/discover/showroom

It is nice, one of my firends has one, but I wouldnt say that it is any better than the ix35, which is about £1000 cheaper (for the top models respectively) and comes with that all important warranty :undecided: :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the Dualis is known as the Qashqai (KASHKYE) in UK/Europe

It is nice, one of my firends has one, but I wouldnt say that it is any better than the ix35, which is about £1000 cheaper (for the top models respectively) and comes with that all important warranty :undecided: :undecided:

I'm only talking Styling Brian.. Here are the 3 photos..

ix35

Sportage

Dualis

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm not that big a fan of any of them but if I had to chose one, I'd go with the i35...... :undecided:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I'm with rusty on this one, I think the Nissan is OK, the Kia looks angry and a bit evil, but the ix35 ticks all my boxes, a very pleasing car to the eyes :razz: :razz:

Put the date in your calendars folks, I am agreeing with rusty!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Each to their own.. in the flesh I still reckon the Nissan & Kia look better than the ix35  :whistler:

Pip
I suppose Hy are trying to appeal to the demographic that they sense has the most money to buy their cars. That will not be me I suspect even though I have lots of money,  :Shocked: certainly enough to buy a Hy of any type. :whistler:

Dude, I know is not a kid any more but he's clearly younger of heart than me because he likes these creased-up convoluted shapes. Bumpkin too it seems. 

Me, I'm much more conservative and the current (first shape) grabbed me immediately as "acceptable", the drive sold me within minutes.

The style is of smaller importance to me but ugly is a show-stopper! For me they are moving in the wrong direction.  :eek:

But like I said, they are not looking for the conservative market apparently based on the "style" pursued. Strange that, because I thought they were trying to emulate/surpass Toyota whom have always been conservative in their style/designs.

Maybe they are getting carried away with their success and are attempting to set the direction. Risky. :confused:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Hyundai are being smart by ensuring that the Hyundai and KIA brands share platforms and engines - but differ in styling to cater for both the more traditional and for the modern styling preferences of car buyers.

The imminent 2012 KIA Ceed is a less edgy design than the 2012 i30 - yet has the same under-pinnings.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Kia-Ceed-2012-first-official-picture/
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
^^^^^

And judging by these pix, trying to show the entire hatchback market styling can be catered for by one "group".

The new i30 is very similar to the new Focus (despite Fords design chief having his snipe!!)

The new Ceed is very similar to Fords usual UK rival Vauxhall's Astra.

Coincidence??? :undecided:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hey Dazz, what has changed your opinion from this post, you give the impression here that the ix35 is nicer than the Sportage???

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=8262.msg97339#msg97339

Not a problem with what you are saying, just wondering why when Ffoxy was considering the Sportage as a nice crossover, you kinda directed him towards the ix35?  Has the Sportage grown on you, or do you think that the ix has dated a bit prematurely in comparison?

I think the Kia may be regarded by some as more "edgy" and perhaps the facelift ix35 (must be due in the next year or so) will be more in line with fluidic sculpture.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Bit late on this thread but..

I think the ford designers are getting a bit lazy, nothing really fancy, same as most fords to be fair. I find Ford 'OK' cars, not great, or WOAH! but just ok. Yes the ST and RS are pretty special, due to their performance pedigree, but the interior on them is bland. Was in a Ford Kuga (Ix35 rival) and just wasnt taken by it, lack of features, and an higher price. Plus its a ford, so its guaranteed to be 'Fixed Or Repaired Daily'

Hyundai's styling is looking great, and really pushes the boat out, which is what the automotive world wants, something different that stands out, and moves with the times.
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It might be just me, but I reckon the "fluidic" design is a natural progression from the original i30 shape.
It's what has sold me on the current model Accent too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Brian,

I was concerned about the resale of the Kia but they seemed to have started to turn the corner over here. I also don't think I had seen a new model Sportage in the flesh at that stage. I reckon they have quite a presence in the flesh.

To my eyes the Sportage (in the flesh) looks quite masculine and brutish (which I like) whereas the ix35 looks bloated (like an i30 on steroids) and that look doesn't appeal to me..

The base model in the ix35 (which is the most common down here) also looks a bit under tyred (a bit like all the new base model Hyundais (they all look better in the higher models with bigger wheels in my opinion)

Alan,

Thanks for the Ceed link (very conservative) a bit like what I would have expected the 2012 i30 to look like ...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I must admit that having owned Audi cars for the past 15 years the KIA appeals because, like an Audi, the styling is smooth - some would say bland.  I will need to see the 2012 i30 in the flesh before deciding which car to buy next.  It will probably be a choice between the i30 and the KIA Ceed with a current leaning in the direction of the i30.  Watch this space.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Pip
The imminent 2012 KIA Ceed is a less edgy design than the 2012 i30 - yet has the same under-pinnings.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Kia-Ceed-2012-first-official-picture/
That's more my style Alan. Unfortunately not marketed in Oz. Kia sell the Cerato instead and while it also has a more conservative shape than some of the latest offerings it doesn't have a diesel option.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
It sounds to me like the Ford (Found On Rubbish Dumps) chief designer needs to gave a cup of concrete and harden up a bit!!!

The best part of the article was the HYundai photos :happydance: :happydance:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal