i30 Owners Club

Three dead in separate motorcycle accidents

Guest · 37 · 10081

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Three dead in separate motorcycle accidents on annual Snowy Ride to support children's cancer research
NOVEMBER 04, 2013

A CHARITY ride to support children's cancer research has been marred by the deaths of three motorcyclists in separate accidents at the weekend.

The riders were among more than 3000 motorcyclists and about 1000 pillion passengers who converged on Thredbo on Saturday for the annual Snowy Ride, which raises money for the Steven Walter Children's Cancer Foundation.

Police said a 57-year-old man from North Nowra was flung from his bike after swerving to avoid two foxes shortly before 11am on Saturday.

A spokesman said the man was riding with a group of about 10 friends along Maffra Rd when he swerved off the road to avoid the foxes, hit a rock and a fence.

The man was thrown into a paddock.

His friends performed first aid until paramedics arrived, however, the man died on the way to Cooma Hospital.

About 2.30pm on Friday a 37-year-old woman went missing after setting off with a group of nine riders who had met for lunch at Wyndham on the far South Coast.

A spokesman said she was travelling near the rear of the group but when they arrived at Bombala, about 50km inland, they noticed she was missing.

Police searched along Mount Darragh Rd until nightfall, with the search resuming at dawn on Saturday.

Her body and the wreckage of her motorcycle were located shortly before 8am down an embankment just 3km from where the group had set out.

Police said initial inquiries suggest the woman lost control on a sharp left hand bend known as Curley's Corner.

Yesterday a 67-year-old man on his way home to Victoria was killed when his bike left the Princess Highway near Eden shortly before midday and hit a tree.

The man was riding with a group of friends near Nethercote Rd in what police described as "worsening conditions" of high winds, sleet and rain.

Police were on the scene within minutes and initiated resuscitation but the man was unable to be revived.

In its 13th year the Snowy Ride has raised more than $3 million for the Steven Walter Children's Cancer Foundation with this year's ride expected to raise more than $250,000.

The foundation was formed to find a cure for childhood cancer after 19-year-old motorcycle enthusiast Steven Walter died following his eight-year battle with cancer in 2000.

Calls to the foundation went unanswered this morning but charity and Snowy Ride spokeswoman Sue Walters - Steven's mother - told ABC radio people were aware of the risks.

"Motorcycling is a dangerous sport," she said.

"I think everybody who rides a motorbike knows that.

"All we can do is express for them to ride safely and within their limits."

She said organisers would provide more information about riding long distances to try and ensure those taking part next year were better prepared.

In an unrelated incident, police are preparing a report for the Coroner after a motorcyclist died after crashing in Sydney's south on Saturday.

The 19-year-old man lost control of his bike shortly before midday while riding with friends along McKell Avenue in the Royal National Park at Waterfall.

The man sustained critical injuries after he came off his bike and struck a roadside sign.

His friends performed first aid until paramedics arrived but the Currans Hill man died at the scene.

McKell Avenue was closed for three and a half hours as investigators examined the scene.

:link:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Tail End Charlie is a bad place to ride in a group as it's usually, by its nature, where the slower riders gravitate. So in order to stay with the group TEC tends to ride faster than their skills, their confidence or even their bike really permits...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Very sad, Rusty.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Tail End Charlie is a bad place to ride in a group as it's usually, by its nature, where the slower riders gravitate. So in order to stay with the group TEC tends to ride faster than their skills, their confidence or even their bike really permits...

Yeah, one reason I prefer to ride on my own and at my own pace.....

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'm not really missing my bike these days, I probably will when Summer comes again tho!

I toyed with the idea of a Super Moto 4 stroke but settled for a Yam XT 600 restoration, which sadly foundered on the rocks of a very firmly rusted in Swing arm pivot bolt so I sold it on...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I really miss getting to ride regularly, especially these days when I have so much spare time...

Shame the budget wont stretch far enough for another bike...  :'(

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm not really missing my bike these days, I probably will when Summer comes again tho!

I toyed with the idea of a Super Moto 4 stroke but settled for a Yam XT 600 restoration, which sadly foundered on the rocks of a very firmly rusted in Swing arm pivot bolt so I sold it on...

You mean you couldn't fix it, with all your nice tools.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very sad, Rusty.

:whsaid:

A well liked lady who was a real estate agent from Devonport died after getting blown off the road during a teddy bear run in Tassie in the last 12 months or so...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

You mean you couldn't fix it, with all your nice tools.  :exclaim:

Yes

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I really miss getting to ride regularly, especially these days when I have so much spare time...

Shame the budget wont stretch far enough for another bike...  :'(

One Powerball, Rusty and we'll both be riding.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

So you've found a new reason for being on your knees?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
That's bad news about the deaths.  I need to be more switched on and careful when I ride.   I recently did a HART course and must get out and practice a bit. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I was down the Snowy/Far South Coast area a couple of weeks ago, observed many motorcyclists blatting along the highways and byways, on the Snowy ride and coming back from Phillip Island races. Temporary Australians I call them.   :(

I rode an iron horse every day for 14 years when I was a motorcycle copper in the 70's and 80's, I have used up my 9 lives, I can tell you.  One is so vunerable on a motorcycle. :disapp:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I was down the Snowy/Far South Coast area a couple of weeks ago, observed many motorcyclists blatting along the highways and byways, on the Snowy ride and coming back from Phillip Island races. Temporary Australians I call them.   :(

I rode an iron horse every day for 14 years when I was a motorcycle copper in the 70's and 80's, I have used up my 9 lives, I can tell you.  One is so vunerable on a motorcycle. :disapp:

I didn't know you were a cat.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

More of a CATastrophe by the sound of it... :twisted:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Today on the radio news they said that a 57 (I think) year old motorbike rider was killed near Mt Hotham over the weekend.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Bit late, but very sad, esp @ this time of the year. But they went doing what they loved.
I think I been very lucky, once I had an accident on a bike @ 110kph no helmet ( old days ) flew through the air did a few cart wheels got straight up. Another time had a car drive out a side street , I was on a hwy, I was almost level with the car when it drove out the side street to go opp way to me, I t boned it @ 80 kmh. So count myself lucky.
 Does not mean you can't get killed in a car,or crossing the road. Also natural disasters .

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've been lucky, only every come off the mo-sickle twice on the road....
First one hardly counted as it was a low speed drop on a sandy track. The ex wife was on the back at the time and I know I was savage as she didn't throw herself under the bike to protect it from damage.  :lol:

Second one was on a windy road late at night. Ran off the road into a bit of a drain and got flicked over and landed in a heap back on the road.
No injuries other than a bit of skin off my knee and bruising. My helmet did cop a decent whack though. The rest of my gear came through with just a few scuffs.  :D

I did get knocked of my pushy when I was young. Stuffed my bike but luckily all I ended up with was a case of bad gravel rash down my legs which scored me a few days off school.  :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

So true Lester, I saw all the bikes going down the coast too.
What about Evil Klevel, the Motor Cycle stunt rider, broke every bone in his body twice they say. but died of old age.
or cancer.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

I wish I had only been called a cat,  !"£$%^&*( Gestapo, Stormtrooper,  And many names unprintable. :whistler: :twisted: :wtf:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal