i30 Owners Club

Police Comm Ian Stewart says ban on high-speed police pursuits saves lives

Guest · 50 · 11223

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Not sure how a factually flawed post can be well written and thought out, Trev.....  :rolleyes:

Oh, there was only one motorcycle & one gun, beerman.... :whistler:
If you want people to take what you say seriously I do think it's important to get the facts right...  :head_butt:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The fact that a hand gun and two rounds of ammunition were found in the stolen BMW that was carrying a few adult males and also the fact that there was a motorbike involved as well that assisted the criminals to evade police, suggests to me that this was more than "just" a stolen car.

You have made it very clear that you do not agree with police pursuing offenders, a viewpoint that no doubt some agree with and some don't.

But as Beerman said, those that aren't caught at the time are most likely getting away with at least drink drive or drug drive offences, but more than likely more serious offences too.

I mean, hello? Had police not pursued the stolen black BMW then no one would have known that there was a hand gun and ammunition inside the car.

Then the statistics would just show that as some joyriders who were harmless and felt like a ride in someone else's nice car.

Newsflash (as previously stated):

Offenders drive like idiots whether or not being pursued by police. Fact.

Offenders commit minor and major crimes whilst using motor vehicles. Fact.

Offenders injure and kill other road users whilst not being pursued by police. Fact.

If offenders know that there is a policy in place that precludes police from pursuing then they WILL do it more often and with impunity. Fact.

Many years ago W.A. introduced a policy that stops police officers from pursuing motor vehicles if the offenders turn off their lights (at night) or cross to the incorrect side of the road.

Guess what? (You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to work it out).

Nearly all offenders now turn off their lights and cross to the incorrect side of the road.

So an attempt to water down the pursuit guidelines has resulted in an even more dangerous situation for ALL road users.

Honestly Rusty, I think you need to stop viewing this topic with your rose-coloured glasses on and face reality.

I spent 31 years chasing and charging these offenders and I KNOW that if you back off and water down the policies then you make it both easier for the criminals to commit offences and more dangerous for everyone else on the road.

And not being a currently serving high ranking police officer (such as a Commissioner), I can say that without fear of contradicting anything our politicians might say, unlike some others............

Just sayin'.  ;)

• Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quite frankly Rusty, I am not overly bothered what you think, you pick and choose the parts of posts you wish to address and ignore those that don't suit your personal agenda. I have come to realise that how you roll. Hence why I have ignored the politics thread.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So choosing to point out your distortion of the facts is somehow part of my personal agenda?  :head_butt:

I've presented evidence, statistics and news items to support the original post....what have you lot supplied other than your opinion?

The way some of you carry on you'd think I was the only one with the belief that risking the lives of innocent people over mostly relatively minor offences is not on....  :undecided:

Many years ago W.A. introduced a policy that stops police officers from pursuing motor vehicles if the offenders turn off their lights (at night) or cross to the incorrect side of the road.

Guess what? (You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to work it out).

Sounds like yet another reason to ban police pursuits then, surely?  :undecided:

Honestly Rusty, I think you need to stop viewing this topic with your rose-coloured glasses on and face reality.

I could say the same with you, Dave.... :rolleyes:

Innocent people are being killed yet that doesn't seem to mean a thing to some people...just as long as the police get their man.

As the Queensland Commissioner said:

"But to engage in a pursuit that takes the life of an innocent bystander is in my view hardly synonymous with a police officer's sworn duty, that is to ensure the safety and security of the public."

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
And to fail to pursue and to let these criminals continue on their merry way, committing whatever crimes they wish because they know they won't be pursued, is hardly synonymous with a police officer's sworn duty to ensure the safety and security of the public either.  ;)

You have conveneiently overlooked what you don't want to see:

Innocent people are being killed WITHOUT the offenders being pursued, yet that doesn't seem to mean a thing to some people...

Did you miss that bit?  :undecided:

And trust me. I don't have rose-coloured glasses.  ;)

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
A tragic outcome.  I don't agree with all in there either Rusty.  I even swore at one comment from one person in the video.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
To someone my age I reckon she looks pretty good....

Put it this way, I wouldn't climb over her to get to you, Jamie...  :lol:

Sorry mate, I know how heartbroken you now are...  :snigger:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Hang on Rusty, I'll have a six pack, and then see how she looks.  While I'm at it, I'll give her a six pack to improve my looks.

And.... phew!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I used to have a six pack, but now it looks more like a carton  :undecided:

@ Jamie, that first link wouldn't work (even the cached version)

I like the idea of the technology in the other link.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Try copying and pasting the link into the address bar of a new browser window, Daz..... :undecided:
For some reason it doesn't wanna work as a link...

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/tandi/441-460/tandi452.html

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I still have my 6 pack.....It's just in it's own esky now...  :whistler:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

I still have my 6 pack.....It's just in it's own esky now...  :whistler:

Pffff, that's nothing, Rusty. My six pack has it's own fridge. :D
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Try copying and pasting the link into the address bar of a new browser window, Daz..... :undecided:
For some reason it doesn't wanna work as a link...

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/tandi/441-460/tandi452.html

I tried that, still no go... never mind :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's a bugger...I tried it and it worked, tried it again and now it's not....  :undecided:

It's a Government conspiracy I tell ya!  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal