The importance of tyres

eye30 · 72 · 12419

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Whether you are an automotive enthusiast or someone who simply sees their car as a domestic appliance, raising the subject of tyres is almost guaranteed to result in rolling of the eyes.

The importance of tyres - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A simple but well written article. I didn't learn anything, but a timely reminder! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How much has modern technology reduced the role of tyres in car safety, between ABS traction and stability control, it would seem some of the driver issues that better tyres used to reduce, are now taken care of by the computer in a second.

I remember back in the day, when it was wet, you would get a reminder from the rear (in the old Falcon) if the tyres were getting a bit old, same with the old Laser and FWD there would be wheel spin to remind you that the tyres were getting old. Now good old traction control steps in to take care of that issue.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
How much has modern technology reduced the role of tyres in car safety, between ABS traction and stability control, it would seem some of the driver issues that better tyres used to reduce, are now taken care of by the computer in a second.

I remember back in the day, when it was wet, you would get a reminder from the rear (in the old Falcon) if the tyres were getting a bit old, same with the old Laser and FWD there would be wheel spin to remind you that the tyres were getting old. Now good old traction control steps in to take care of that issue.....
But ABS etc won't work if the tyre is no good (or flat).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm not saying we should all run around on slicks, Just saying that the overall importance may have fallen somewhat.....It goes without saying that if one part of the equation is damaged or defective it plays a role in undermining the rest.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not that I've tried it, but there's only so much the electronics can do, sooner or later you'll have an accident, then the legalities of driving with unsafe tyres etc come in to play. A problem we can all do without.

I still haven't done an ABS stop yet, to see what happens.   :wacko:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not that I've tried it, but there's only so much the electronics can do, sooner or later you'll have an accident, then the legalities of driving with unsafe tyres etc come in to play. A problem we can all do without.

I still haven't done an ABS stop yet, to see what happens.   :wacko:

Again, not recommending for a second that anyone drive with defective anything, just saying that the advantage of buying the best tyres to good ones has been eroded due to technology.

On the ABS I highly recommend you do a couple of stops, to familiarise yourself with the system and what you can do with the control it gives. There are plenty of documented cases where a driver has hit the picks hard then taken their foot off the brake by reflex, because they were not used to the shudder through the pedal. For mine, ABS is by far the best technological advance in vehicles for a long time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I mentioned this some time ago and was advised by many fine drivers here, to do this as well. Sometimes I'm quite naughty. Just before I get the next set of tyres, I'll find somewhere safe and do it because no one in our family has ever experienced it.

What is the best surface to try this on. Dirt, I presume.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I mentioned this some time ago and was advised by many fine drivers here, to do this as well. Sometimes I'm quite naughty. Just before I get the next set of tyres, I'll find somewhere safe and do it because no one in our family has ever experienced it.

Actually, if you get a nice quiet bit of wet road, that will give you the best results, Don't worry too much about the tyres, the whole idea of ABS is not to lock the wheels up, so you won't ruin them. As an aside, dirt roads are actually one place where normal braking is better (in a straight line), as the locked wheels dig a trench in the gravel which helps stop the car quicker. Obviously the loss of steering associated with the locking of the wheels is still evident.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
And take your false teeth out before you try your ABS brakes :D
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Try it on wet or dry bitumen, Phil....Stomp on the brake pedal as hard as you like and while you're at it, try steering as if you were dodging something....  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
A half wet half dry road adds a degree of difficulty..... :snigger:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The ABS in my FD works well.  I nearly avoided a pademelon on the way home from work one night.  Silly bugger jumped into the place where I was steering.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I remember driving home from the Gold Coast Airport in the EL, rain was pouring down, some idiot went from the far right lane to take the next left (within 10 meters). I was in the middle lane and about a car length behind. Using ABS I was able to concentrate on missing old mate, to the point of noticing the power pole on the apex of the shoulder of the road, make the decision that it was as far left as I was going, and come to a dead stop. Missed everything, much to the amazement of my passengers.

Without ABS it would have been messy.

Old mate didn't even know I was there, and walked into Hungry Jacks oblivious, until I provided him with a critique of his driving style and a few friendly pointers about mirrors.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: FatBoy
I nearly avoided a pademelon on the way home ...

Was there much damage? :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
And take your false teeth out before you try your ABS brakes :D

What if you don't have false teeth!  :eek: :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yep, I still have all my teeth.  :razz:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Make sure you rotate your tyres every 8,000 - 10000km. Bring the back ones to the front not swapping sides and put the front ones to the back and swap sides. Will give you a better lifespan on the tyres. Most tire shops will only charge you $5-10. And if you find a good shop, and know the guys well, get them done for free :happydance: :D
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Assuming you have even tread wear, my preference is not to rotate tyres at all. The fronts will wear faster naturally, but then new tyres when required and a wheel alignment. This happens more frequently  due to no rotation, but the car receives more wheel alignments this way.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
so do you get all four replaced or just the two?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Just the two, providing the wear is even on the rear tyres which, so far, it is. :Touch:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Hmmm.. I've always heard that you just wear out the tread with replacing two, since tread depth would be different between the front and the back. I've always just watched all four and rotate regularly, and get wheel alignments every 6 months, as long as the wheel isn't pulling one way or another.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Wear out the tread, how. As long as the L & R tyres on the same axle are the same circumference, I can't see how that would happen.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You're right Phil.
But it's a matter of personal choice.
Some are happy to replace two at a time, others prefer to have four new ones all at once.
I'm of the latter view, but then, my tyres don't cost me much. :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I like the idea of frequent wheel alignments (especially when Marzipan parks) :eek:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Wear out the tread, how. As long as the L & R tyres on the same axle are the same circumference, I can't see how that would happen.
Having different depth changes the handling and stablility of the car, and changes the balance of the car being that they are at different depth. The car isn't running on a uniform plane, and you are angling the car front or back, depending on where you put the new tyres (usually should be done on the back axle). It's slight measurements, but it makes a big difference. I did do the two tyre thing a couple times and it always seemed that the tires didn't last as long, not  too much difference, but probably an extra 10-15000km loss than doing the 4

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I like the idea of frequent wheel alignments (especially when Marzipan parks) :eek:

If you like the thought of needlessly giving money to tyre shops, good luck to you.

I had an alignment at 50k, haven't bothered since.

With a wheel alignment costing half a tyre, doing too many just seems like false economy.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

If you like the thought of needlessly giving money to tyre shops, good luck to you.

I had an alignment at 50k, haven't bothered since.

With a wheel alignment costing half a tyre, doing too many just seems like false economy.
You should take a drive on the F3 between Newcastle and Sydney. If it was practical, I would take a quad to work instead :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. My alignments aren't to heavy on the cost, I use to pay $30 at a local shop about 5 years ago. Family friend does them now for $20. And next set of tyres, if I buy them from Hyundai, I get $20 off each tyre, and will get free balance and alignment on the life of the tyres. Since this is the third Hyundai, we are in some VIP club now... Go Figure  :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Having different depth changes the handling and stablility of the car, and changes the balance of the car being that they are at different depth. The car isn't running on a uniform plane, and you are angling the car front or back, depending on where you put the new tyres (usually should be done on the back axle). It's slight measurements, but it makes a big difference. I did do the two tyre thing a couple times and it always seemed that the tires didn't last as long, not  too much difference, but probably an extra 10-15000km loss than doing the 4

Sorry, but I don't agree. Angling the car one way or another is at best a technical description, that would only apply if you were driving on an absolutely flat surface. There are many distortions and angles of incline / decline to offset any variation, remember that we are only talking mm of difference.

The only difference I can see that could enter into the equation would be the wet weather performance and aquaplaning, obviously the rears would not be as good as new fronts. Now we have ESP & ABS to assist if necessary. I don't drive to extremes in any event.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal