i30 Owners Club

The importance of tyres

eye30 · 72 · 12418

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's opening yet another can of worms, Phil as it seems the experts say the opposite...  :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's always been a can of worms.
However, I can quote (but I won't) from any number of industry (tyre and automotive) experts including advanced driver training coaches who are advocates of the new tyres to the front process.

There's not really much point in dragging up quotes form either side of the argument. It's been around long enough for people to make up their own minds.

It's pretty simple to me. Safety 99.5% of the time - or sacrifice some of that for safety for just one type of emergency.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Or it could be a case of "can't teach an old dog new tricks"  :lol:

Btw, I've always been a fan of new tyres on the front myself but if all the experts are telling us differently, who am I to argue.....  :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Btw, I've always been a fan of new tyres on the front myself but if all the experts are telling us differently, who am I to argue.....  :undecided:
Nice dig Rusty.
But in my job if I hadn't kept on top of the latest developments I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.
However, one of my biggest problems was getting "old dogs" to move with the times.

Classic and most common was mechanics in their 30's or 40's who "knew all about tyres - because they taught us in TAFE when I did my apprenticeship"
Read, cross ply tyres only.  :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm more than happy to follow Trevor's guidance. I'm sure there are plenty of experts who would argue with my views about various electronics topics. But after around 20 years on and of selling and handling Tv's and stuff I know what I know ( like Trev does about Tyres)

Trev did say there were other opinions around I personally like his best!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I've done some more research on this topic. When we last looked at it, some years ago, the same debate raged but there was very little stuff on the web favouring The Reaper's views, although for many years now the major tyre manufacturers have recommended new tyres to the rear in their publications. These days, there's a lot more to be found espousing the new tyres to the rear philosophy.

The manufacturers' position seems to relate to a general view that they could be held liable in the event of a serious accident caused by loss of traction in the rear. Why? Because you have all these driving experts who say it's better to understeer than oversteer.
I don't disagree with that. However, IMHO, what we're doing here is sacrificing a whole heap of day to day benefits in the off chance that a particular type of accident will occur.

ie. We're ignoring all the benefits of having the new tyres on the front in case we find ourselves in a situation where there is a loss of traction at the rear.

In the industry I've worked for most of my adult life and in which I spent the last 15 years or so (among other things) training the fitters and mechanics in workshop techniques, as well as the business owners/ managers in business management, most people will still  fit the new tyres to the front.

Why?

The weight is generally distributed somewhere between 55% and 70% to the front of the vehicle, so that's where all the work is done. This is magnified under braking. So, steering, braking, load carrying - AND - water penetration.
If there is standing water (little golfing term there   ;) ) on the road, the front tyres obviously hit it first. If the tyre is well designed, it will pump most of that water out to the side (anything up to about 7 litres per second - think about that - 3 and a half 2litre milk bottles of water EVERY SECOND). Per tyre! So, in effect, they are helping pump the road dry for the rear tyres following.
You can picture that when you're driving on wet roads in traffic and you can clearly see the drier tracks on the road ahead from the cars in front of you.

Even back in the early to mid 2000's when most of the training I did was for dealers in The Reaper's area of Newcastle and the Central Coast, this whole topic was guaranteed to generate a lot of discussion. Including the Ford dealer who I think is now also the Hyundai dealer.

So, it's not going to go away anytime soon.

It's a matter of making sure that you're aware of the options and the results of those options. Then make a decision based on what you think is most likely to affect you.

At the end of the day, my personal opinion (and one I've explained to a lot of customers over the years - who've pretty much all agreed with me), is that constant good steering, braking and wet grip far outweighs a possible once in a lifetime situation, the risk of which is reduced by having the best tyres on the front.

I hope this massive screed helps to explain my position and help others make an informed decision.

Best case scenario? Replace all four at once.
Great Post Surferdude :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :clapping:. Yeah Ford,, is right beside Hyundai, and across the street from Suzuki and VW on Tudor St. Which is all owned by Klosters. Good thing is they just had a new ownership come in and take over and a bloody great change. The old owners were criminals in the way they took care of their customers
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

You not argue, that's a first  :neutral:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I like the idea of frequent wheel alignments (especially when Marzipan parks) :eek:

If you like the thought of needlessly giving money to tyre shops, good luck to you.

I had an alignment at 50k, haven't bothered since.

With a wheel alignment costing half a tyre, doing too many just seems like false economy.

Unless you have got a wife that goes over the kerb on corners instead of around  :mad:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Quote from: FatBoy
I nearly avoided a pademelon on the way home ...

Was there much damage? :eek:

To the pademelon, yes.  The car, not so much.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

You not argue, that's a first  :neutral:

Pot black beerman...  :winker: :P

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Nah mine are stainless steel.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal